The Home Forum of Atomic Tom!

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQRegisterLog in
Share | 

What Are The Best Automatic Watch Movements ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: What Are The Best Automatic Watch Movements ?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:43 pm

Just about every day we see watches with a variety of automatic movements in them. They have names like, ETA, Unitas, Sellita, Claro, Valjoux just to name some. Often with various numbers next to the movement name, like ETA 2824, ETA 2892, or 7750. I really don't know what all the numbers mean, just that they are supposed to be good movements. Can the various watch movements from around the world be ranked ? Also this question pertains to all the various Swiss, Japanese, German, Chinese, Russian etc. movements as well. Is there a "best" or "top" automatic watch movement ? If ZMT were to rank the automatic movements, what would that list look like ? Thanks, any and all opinions will be greatly appreciated ! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Best Automatic Watch Movements ?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:04 pm

The "best" movements are the in-house movements such as Patel Philippe,JLC,A Lange, FP Journe etc.

After that any movement that keeps acceptable time is OK by me.
ETA,Selitta,Miyota,Seiko 7s26 are all capable of being good or bad-pretty much depends on what the watch company does with them.

However the jury is still out on the longevity of some of the modern day Chinese offerings that find their way into the many "Internet" brands
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Best Automatic Watch Movements ?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:04 pm

Co-Axil Movementused by Omega, almost any in-house movement in a Swiss or German made watch.
Rolex Cal 4130 is a great one as are almost all in-house Rolex movements.

The ETA 2892-A2, ETA 2824/2T chronometer grade, ETA Valjoux 7750,Unitas 6497/8,Omega 2500, JLC 889/2 , JLC 960, Longines 990 (Lemania 8815), PP 215, PP 240,Now the Grand Seiko 430 are top flight. Zenith 400,Zenith 670, GP 3100 can be added to the top movements also.

I read a book that listed these as the best but in no particular order

Rolex 3135
Audemars Piguet 3120
Jaeger-LeCoultre 975
ETA 2892
Omega 2500
Girard-Perregaux 3300
Piguet 1150
Glashutte Original 95

Vacheron Constantin, and Patek are works of art but they live in an area that most cannot aspire to. Patek still uses a Lemania made Cal 2310 ebauche as a base for some of their two register m/wind chronographs but they are highly modded by Patek.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Best Automatic Watch Movements ?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:11 pm

I am curious what makes a top movement to ya'll..no one mentions the Miyota 8215 which keeps as good a time as any thing you mentioned albeit its plain and not pretty but unless your wearing some fashion watch with a open case ya can not see it anyway.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Best Automatic Watch Movements ?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Wow guys ! Now I know why I am just the learner ! Shocked Many of these movements you guys listed, I wasn't really aware of. It's great to have the names on hand now, so I can write them down or go back and memorize them. Amazing the wide variety of automatic movements that are out there ! Hopefully, I'll experience these someday in person, until then at least I'm finding out more about the many automatic movements and how good they are. Glad to have your opinions...thanks ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Best Automatic Watch Movements ?   Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:53 am

bigjamesdean wrote:
I am curious what makes a top movement to ya'll..no one mentions the Miyota 8215 which keeps as good a time as any thing you mentioned albeit its plain and not pretty but unless your wearing some fashion watch with a open case ya can not see it anyway.

I did not include it for several reasons including the fact it runs at less than 28,800 BPH. A really good comparison is here.

http://www.17jewel.com/two.html

And here at TZ

http://www.timezone.com/library/comarticles/comarticles0017
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Best Automatic Watch Movements ?   Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:01 am

koimaster wrote:
bigjamesdean wrote:

I did not include it for several reasons including the fact it runs at less than 28,800 BPH. A really good comparison is here.

http://www.17jewel.com/two.html

And here at TZ

[url=http://www.timezone.com/library/comarticles/comarticles0017
http://www.timezone.com/library/comarticles/comarticles0017[/quote[/url]]

Well IMO the only test of a movement if its not visable is its accuracy...+2secs a day is pretty top notch imo Smile and thats the worst of the bunch btw
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What Are The Best Automatic Watch Movements ?   Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:00 am

Koi, I too appreciate the information because I don't necessarily buy a watch because of the movement. Because of this, my knowledge isn't as good as it should be!
James I too think the 8215 movement is a good one. I have a couple and they run perfect but I can see where Koi is coming from on the subject too.
I'm currently looking at buying a Debaufre Ocean 1 GNT with a 2893-2 GMT miovement in it and as far as I know that movement is a good one too.
Back to top Go down

What Are The Best Automatic Watch Movements ?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum ::  :: -