The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) Empty
PostSubject: Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement)   Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2021 2:34 pm

Here's is something cool from Alpina. Have you by chance seen it?

It's the Alpina Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture which is both a
bumper automatic, as well as new watch. So you have the return of
this amazing type of movement in the AL-709 maunufacture calibre.
Along with a really nice watch around it all.

Just some of the details include a 42mm x 40.75mm stainless steel,
or yellow gold cases, 100M WR, sapphire crystals, nice silver dials
with silver, and red, or gold, and red hands, and markers, plus brown
leather straps.

Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) Alpina-Startimer-Pilot-Heritage-Manufacture-Ref-AL-709SR4SH6-1500x1000

Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) Alpina-Startimer-Pilot-Heritage-Manufacture-Ref-AL-709SR4SH5

Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) Alpina-Startimer-Pilot-Heritage-Manufacture-Ref.-AL-709SR4SH6

Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) Alpina-Startimer-Pilot-Heritage-Manufacture-1500x1000

Oracle Time, and Alpina with this, and more...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement)   Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2021 5:50 am

Great looking watch but $3200 for what it is is too much! Lots of other choices out there for that $$. I have watches that already look like this to be honest.

Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement)   Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2021 2:13 pm

That is a lot Gary, you are right. Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) 803574 I swear I don't understand how brands think so much of the time. Rolling Eyes
A watch like this would be so much more attractive to so many more people if it were reasonably priced.
Unfortunately I don't think think the brands are thinking of us. Instead they are thinking of the few who
might be able to afford the crazy prices, and making limited editions to boot.

It's upsetting though because it causes those who really enjoy these kinds of watches to look elsewhere.
And on the looks, you also make a terrific point how you already have watches that look like this. ..This
is one of the problems with making vintage inspired watches, they end up looking the same after a while.
Or at least feel like we have seen them before. And as you said, that is because we have.

The one thing that really cught my eye with these though, was the bumper movement. Smile That is something
we don't actually see much. Plus I know that you have at least one bumper that I know of, and might get a
kick out of it. Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) 803574

As usual though, we will have to just enjoy the pics I guess.

However, it was really great hearing your thoughts sir, thanks so very very much !!!

Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement)   Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2021 8:20 pm

Honestly bumper autos were popular in the 50's.....but only because they were still learning how to make an automatic movement. you don't feel any difference on the wrist, only when you hold it in your hand. Not worth buying one today at a $2500 premium over what it's worth!

Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement)   Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2021 8:58 pm

sixtysix wrote:
Honestly bumper autos were popular in the 50's.....but only because they were still learning how to make an automatic movement. you don't feel any difference on the wrist, only when you hold it in your hand. Not worth buying one today at a $2500 premium over what it's worth!

Gary, really would like to thank you for this excellent history lesson on bumper movements. Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) 812159
To be truthful, I had just thought that they were a different kind of automatic movement really.
And not a precursor to normal automatics as you said. That is so fascinating, and yet another
example of how I am always learning new things about this hobby every single day. Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) 803574 Smile

Have to thank you sir, and agree that these are way overpriced unfortunately. But the insight
you gave was, you guessed it, priceless.Very Happy ..Thanks once again !!!

PostSubject: Re: Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement)   Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alpina's new Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture (Bumper Movement)
Page 1 of 1