The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels? Empty
PostSubject: Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels?   Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2024 6:52 pm

I don't mind telling you that I think wooden watches are a bit of a gimmick. I love a nice walnut gun stock or a maple burl knife handle...but I just never took wood on a watch seriously before.

I am not sure I mentioned this before but I am a bit of a bourbon addict hound guzzler afficionado, and Buffalo Trace is one of my stand by favorites.

So anyway this company 'Original Grain' is making a limited edition, Buffalo Trace, Bourbon Barrel (American Oak), wooden watch! I laughed out loud and told my wife I should get one, she
told me she would buy me one for a birthday gift (still many weeks away), so now I had to get one! I selected the automatic, with black metal (Just looked better than silver). Here is a link
to the silver one as I must have bought one of the last black ones.  https://www.originalgrain.com/products/buffalo-trace-1775-automatic-silver-44mm
Since these were Sale priced, it said no warranty or returns. Yah who cares? I have never had a bad Miyota 8215. So it was a bit over priced, a little larger than I like, mineral glass crystal, the
8215 is a low end automatic, and to top it off it arrived DOA! No tick, no nothing! I didn't even bother to call them

OK this whole deal is going south now, so I looked on eBay and found I could buy an upgraded (gold) 8215 for $30...cool I bought it. I swapped out the rotting dead corpse of a movement and put in the already ticking
golden marvel. I think it looks better already.

So what do I think of the wooden watch? I am not convinced it isn't still a bit of a scam but it's OK, really. SO mine is #065/250. 250 is the number of years the Buffalo trace distillery has been in business. In fact they are the oldest continuously operating
distillery in the USA. They were even allowed to run during Prohibition, to make medical products.

Here are some pictures of said watch with the golden heart....

Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels? IMG_9838

Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels? IMG_9840

Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels? IMG_9832

Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels? IMG_9833

Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels? IMG_9836

Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels? IMG_9839

Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels? IMG_9831

Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels? Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Last edited by sixtysix on Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

AtomicTom likes this post

Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels?   Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2024 12:14 am

Gary, can I just say..you rock honestly ! cheers Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels? 933578 Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels? 196544 Not only do you have wonderful taste
in watches, but you are like a watch wizard with working on them too. Wink AND you are seriously
a seriously funny person. Very Happy Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels? 812159 It’s just so much fun reading a post like this because
you, or we can feel the passion you have for watches, but actually all of your hobbies over the
years. Smile Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels? 803574 With this watch combining the best of multiple interests, and honestly I don’t think
these wooden watches are a scam really. I mean yes, you have Bourbon Trace, along with
the wood, or barrel theme. However, I just think it’s a natural match, or team up sir. And
don’t forget how clocks were always wooden way back when, and still are in many many
cases today. So it’s actually natural to have wood involved with watches imho. With this
masterpiece blending past with present beautifully, and the black finish goes amazing
with the wood I think. As does your new gold movement ! cheers Cool

Heck, it looks incredible ! cyclops Surprised You created a limited edition of one sir, just as you are. Wink

Extraordinary stuff Gary ! An OUTSTANDING Original Grain congratulations here !!!

sixtysix likes this post

Back to top Go down

Wooden watches you say? Made from bourbon barrels?
Page 1 of 1