The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to Polish your Watch Case to a Mirror Finish

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

How to Polish your Watch Case to a Mirror Finish Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to Polish your Watch Case to a Mirror Finish   How to Polish your Watch Case to a Mirror Finish Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 1:10 pm

Great instructions! 220 coarse sandpaper scares me though. . .yikes!!!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: How to Polish your Watch Case to a Mirror Finish   How to Polish your Watch Case to a Mirror Finish Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 2:45 pm

Thanks Mr. Noob, that was excellent..not that I have any watches scratched
up like that..but if I did, THIS is excellent info ! cheers It would also be
great to try if someone had an older watch, that was in bad shape as well !
I'd have to admit it would be strange putting sand paper to a watch..but
if it comes out like that..it's well worth it ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: How to Polish your Watch Case to a Mirror Finish   How to Polish your Watch Case to a Mirror Finish Icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2009 3:09 pm

WatchNoob wrote:
AtomicTom wrote:
Thanks Mr. Noob, that was excellent..not that I have any watches scratched
up like that..but if I did, THIS is excellent info ! cheers It would also be
great to try if someone had an older watch, that was in bad shape as well !
I'd have to admit it would be strange putting sand paper to a watch..but
if it comes out like that..it's well worth it ! Very Happy

Think of the Watch cases SS like the sheet metal on your car. If you've ever been around bump shops before or restored a car, it's all about getting the surface like glass. You sand, sand, primer, sand, paint, wet sand, lacquer, wet sand, etc.
Also, as far as using the 200 grit, it's no different then using 600 grit, you are just cutting the time down for the initial scratch removal. For deep scratches you have to take the entire surface down to the level of the deepest scratch or your surface will be uneven. So you start out with the heavier gage material, then gradually drop down in grit level until you are using nothing more then a gauze pad (example), at the end of the process.

I don't have any watches in that bad of shape either. lol. That poor Rolex looks loike it belonged to an Auto mechanic that wore it on duty every day for a few years.

WOW ! Shocked You explained it all even better, just there now !!! For myself, watches and
the hobby itself, has been about finding new watches and learning about watches in general !
However, since I've been here..I realized how many different levels to the hobby there
actually are ! Very Happy From fixing up watches to modifying them..it's all pretty new to me and
extremely cool, not to mention good to know ! Thanks again for the link and taking time
to explain it ! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to Polish your Watch Case to a Mirror Finish   How to Polish your Watch Case to a Mirror Finish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to Polish your Watch Case to a Mirror Finish
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Horological Information :: Parts/Mod Links and Reference-
Jump to: