The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Fathers Daros

Go down 
+3
PoliMalaka
merichar
SynMike
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SynMike
Senior Associate
SynMike

My Fathers Daros Empty
PostSubject: My Fathers Daros   My Fathers Daros Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 10:24 pm

My father gave me this watch about 6 months ago. I'm guessing that he bought it in Australia before we moved to Canada in 1969. He doesn't remember where/when he got it. He hasn't worn it in about 30 years.

Movement is a Felsa 4007n. As far as I can tell the case is some kind of base metal with a yellow colored lacquer. So not a high end watch I guess. But I wound it and it immediately started running. It keeps great time (I've never tested accuracy but after a day of wear it is always close enough that I don't notice the loss or gain.)

It seems Daros is a relatively unknown brand name. I've found no information online. I've found 3 of this brand on ebay since I've been watching, 2 located in Australia, 1 in Hong Kong.

My Fathers Daros IMG_0636
My Fathers Daros IMG_1189
My Fathers Daros IMG_0647
My Fathers Daros IMG_0656
My Fathers Daros IMG_0645
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

My Fathers Daros Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Fathers Daros   My Fathers Daros Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 11:09 pm

There's a Daros on Ebay now. Its a different model, but also a 25 jewel auto. There is a crown similar to Rolex on the clasp.
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

My Fathers Daros Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Fathers Daros   My Fathers Daros Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 12:22 am

Service that movement! Unless it doesn't matter if it fails.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

My Fathers Daros Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Fathers Daros   My Fathers Daros Icon_minitimeTue Nov 24, 2009 4:10 am

Really nice vintage look SynMike..VERY classy, with the dial, Roman
numerals, and that eye-catching movement !..The strap is elegant as
well. What a cool vintage watch..Thanks for sharing some pictures of
it ! My Fathers Daros Icon_smile

Consigliere
sixtysix

My Fathers Daros Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Fathers Daros   My Fathers Daros Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 9:39 am

Nice watch! A lot of names went out of business in the early 70's due to quartz watches. Crystal can be easily polished on this type of watch, I use motorcycle windshield polish...but they do make actual watch stuff. A service, polish new gaskets etc. and new crystal will run you about $70 - $100.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

My Fathers Daros Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Fathers Daros   My Fathers Daros Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 10:56 am

Love that RETRO look!

Senior Associate
merichar

My Fathers Daros Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Fathers Daros   My Fathers Daros Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 6:08 pm

Great keepsake from your Dad. I don't know anything about the brand but a lot of companies, even high-end used base metal cases in those days. It makes me wonder how many great vintage watches would still be around if they used Sapphire and Stainless back in the day.
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

My Fathers Daros Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Fathers Daros   My Fathers Daros Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 7:01 pm

I do NOT like roman numerals for indicies but for some reason I do on that watch. Sweetness!
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

My Fathers Daros Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Fathers Daros   My Fathers Daros Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 11:13 pm

Love that look Mike! I did not know INCABLOC was around back then....I thought it was a more recent development...my watch knowledge immaturity is showing Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
SynMike
Senior Associate
SynMike

My Fathers Daros Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Fathers Daros   My Fathers Daros Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 1:09 am

PoliMalaka wrote:
I do NOT like roman numerals for indicies but for some reason I do on that watch. Sweetness!

I think the Roman numerals work because the characters are tall and narrow and because of the overall style of watch.

I need to get a nicer strap for it some time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My Fathers Daros Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Fathers Daros   My Fathers Daros Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Fathers Daros
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Vintage Watches-
Jump to: