The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ADs - why?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 3:11 pm

I know this comes up from time to time and there is no end to the discussion but the whole AD issue raised its head for me today when I got an email on an AMAZING DISCOUNT on a Seiko Diver. Went to the site and saw this:

ADs - why? Skx175
SEIKO # SKX175
SEIKO AUTOMATIC
21 jewel
DIVER'S Watch
Black Dial
Red & Blue Elapse Time Bezel
Double Locking Clasp
200 Meters Water Resistant
Screw Down Crown
Manufacturer's List $450.00
ONLY $270.00 - INCLUDING FREE SHIPPING

Please! I know I got the killer screaming deal of the year on mine for $107 shipped but nearly 3 times the price from an AD that SCREAMS at you about how they are the cheapest AD in the world for Seikos!

Even if I have a problem with my Gray Market Seiko Diver I can buy 2 in the 3 year warranty time frame and still have money left over for a descent bracelet!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 4:56 pm

Great example Doc !..That does seem a bit expensive ! ADs - why? Icon_eek I guess
in the end..as long as you trust the place you are getting your watch
from and they have a good reputation, that's all that matters. Many
times it looks like places inflate prices like this. Congratulations on
your Seiko and getting such a GREAT price as well !

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 5:08 pm

Docrwm wrote:
I know this comes up from time to time and there is no end to the discussion but the whole AD issue raised its head for me today when I got an email on an AMAZING DISCOUNT on a Seiko Diver. Went to the site and saw this:

ADs - why? Skx175
SEIKO # SKX175
SEIKO AUTOMATIC
21 jewel
DIVER'S Watch
Black Dial
Red & Blue Elapse Time Bezel
Double Locking Clasp
200 Meters Water Resistant
Screw Down Crown
Manufacturer's List $450.00
ONLY $270.00 - INCLUDING FREE SHIPPING

Please! I know I got the killer screaming deal of the year on mine for $107 shipped but nearly 3 times the price from an AD that SCREAMS at you about how they are the cheapest AD in the world for Seikos!

Even if I have a problem with my Gray Market Seiko Diver I can buy 2 in the 3 year warranty time frame and still have money left over for a descent bracelet!
I tend to favor Gray, reputable non AD's had save me considerably Cool
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 5:26 pm

. . . . I know it doesn't address all make's AD's, but as far as Seiko is concerned . . . . I don't recall ever seeing a post anywhere that said " My Seiko is tits-up, or , my Seiko arrived DOA, or , the Flame Fusion fell of my Seiko and I can't find it in the carpet!!!" (Sorry I threw the last one in just to be a dick.)

. . . . Why pay ransom on a solid brand with little history of problems? Plus, as we all have discovered, there are a ton of options for mods out there . . . so any Seiko that does fall short in any area, is at once a prime candidate to become even cooler!!!!!
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 6:49 pm

randyswagon wrote:
. . . . I know it doesn't address all make's AD's, but as far as Seiko is concerned . . . . I don't recall ever seeing a post anywhere that said " My Seiko is tits-up, or , my Seiko arrived DOA, or , the Flame Fusion fell of my Seiko and I can't find it in the carpet!!!" (Sorry I threw the last one in just to be a dick.)

. . . . Why pay ransom on a solid brand with little history of problems? Plus, as we all have discovered, there are a ton of options for mods out there . . . so any Seiko that does fall short in any area, is at once a prime candidate to become even cooler!!!!!

Very well said Sir.
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Watchbuying is more of a human interactive experience for me. A process I've learned to enjoy over the years.
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 7:41 pm

randyswagon wrote:

This has to be my favorite post from you. Very well stated and I'm sure us Seiko fanboys agree with you 100%. I watched a little of Jim's Watchtime or whatever it's called last night. He talked about the Invicta warranty and his voice volume went down actually like he was embarrassed to discuss it. I think he is even to the point where he realizes all is not great in Koolaidville.
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 7:42 pm

Wisconsin Proud wrote:
Watchbuying is more of a human interactive experience for me. A process I've learned to enjoy over the years.

I'm with you.
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 7:50 pm

WatchNoob wrote:
randyswagon wrote:

This has to be my favorite post from you. Very well stated and I'm sure us Seiko fanboys agree with you 100%. I watched a little of Jim's Watchtime or whatever it's called last night. He talked about the Invicta warranty and his voice volume went down actually like he was embarrassed to discuss it. I think he is even to the point where he realizes all is not great in Koolaidville.

. . . . that is one hell of a compliment!!!! Thank you.

Pretty easy truth to state though.

Jim deserves to be embarrased, he wrung every little bit of good out of the adventure, and now he is left with the dregs. The best salesmen know instinctivly when a product is oversold . . . . . they move on to the next mark.
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 7:51 pm

foghorn wrote:
Wisconsin Proud wrote:

I'm with you.

Bah! It's all about the wee tiny mechanical beasties!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 9:09 pm

And not to sound arrogant, but when you are dropping some MAJOR cash on a watch, you may wanna actually hold it in your hand before you drop the coin...

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 9:13 pm

Anomaly wrote:
And not to sound arrogant, but when you are dropping some MAJOR cash on a watch, you may wanna actually hold it in your hand before you drop the coin...

I will agree with that to a point Alan. If I ever decide on a PO or DSD, I will be bringing in my printed version of grey market pricing to my local AD to price match. I'd feel much more secure in knowing if I dropped multiple $K's that if something went wrong the AD is within driving distance and not an email addy.
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 9:32 pm

Anomaly wrote:

Perhaps you have a point. But I still see plenty of flipping of major $ watches. Not sure that holding it pre-sale is making a big difference.
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 10:07 pm

The "After Sales Service"provided by brick and mortar AD's is well worth a few extra bucks.
At least to me it is.
It must be rough to not have any AD's nearby though.
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 10:15 pm

Docrwm wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

Perhaps you have a point. But I still see plenty of flipping of major $ watches. Not sure that holding it pre-sale is making a big difference.

I think it is definitely a point there ...that's why I make sure, I visit local B&M AD's before buying big ticket items, hold it, tried on , make sure it talks to me...then go on line and pull the trigger ...
The process is also a human interactive experience for me, but I've never quite learned to enjoy spending more than I have too,specially if we are talking about 30/35% off a several thousand dollars watch...never had a problem with warranties after sales, even if purchased , some place else Cool
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 1:13 am

I would'nt have any problem buying from an established grey market seller, if the price difference justified it.
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 3:34 am

merichar wrote:
I would'nt have any problem buying from an established grey market seller, if the price difference justified it.

I've done so on a few occasions and have never had an issue. I also have a good watchmaker just in case something does go wrong and even with what I have to pay him I'm still ahead of the game.
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 10:13 am

Got my Accutron VX-200 chrono from online AD Gemday 3 years ago for $799 delivered. The lowest price I could get locally was $1,195 plus tax = $1,305. That's a $500 difference.

When the crown stripped out at 4 months, I had no issue with warranty service from Bulova.

Best of both worlds.
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 10:19 am

Datsun240Z71 wrote:
Got my Accutron VX-200 chrono from online AD Gemday 3 years ago for $799 delivered. The lowest price I could get locally was $1,195 plus tax = $1,305. That's a $500 difference.

When the crown stripped out at 4 months, I had no issue with warranty service from Bulova.

Best of both worlds.

I'm not opposed to using an AD if they are competitive on price.
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 12:31 pm

You can touch and feel a watch at an AD, which is great.
I NEVER shop at an AD then buy online. That's cheating. I'm sensitive to the issue since I used to own B&M retail stores.
However, most of my purchases were made online with gray market dealers. It's good to save money.
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Seiko SKX007 = $58us   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 1:03 pm

Seiko SKX007 = $58us
and that's with the retail price of the 7s26 movement that sells at about $18us case dial and hands glass rings and such about $40us something ..

but then add in the ads and all the other stuff and such that the watch companies need to do ...

but then think this, a Seiko SKX007 = $550cnd in the Front street Jewelers in most Canadian cities minus the friendly discount of 15%
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 1:16 pm

noahfuller wrote:
Seiko SKX007 = $58us
and that's with the retail price of the 7s26 movement that sells at about $18us case dial and hands glass rings and such about $40us something ..

but then add in the ads and all the other stuff and such that the watch companies need to do ...

but then think this, a Seiko SKX007 = $550cnd in the Front street Jewelers in most Canadian cities minus the friendly discount of 15%

That's why I am perfectly happy paying $107 for a 009. Paid $140 or so for an Orange Monster. But $550, even in Canadian, is just plain ...well not going to do it. ADs - why? Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Docrwm Yup you know it ..   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 1:20 pm

Docrwm Yup you know it ..
.... is just plain ...well not going in to it.
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 1:31 pm

noahfuller wrote:
Seiko SKX007 = $58us

So there's roughly a 900% markup to buy a SKX007 at an AD in Canada? That is to cover B&M related costs and advertising for Seiko? ADs - why? Affraid
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 1:54 pm

boscoe wrote:
You can touch and feel a watch at an AD, which is great.
I NEVER shop at an AD then buy online. That's cheating. I'm sensitive to the issue since I used to own B&M retail stores.
However, most of my purchases were made online with gray market dealers. It's good to save money.

Well, to further clear my modus operandi I try, feel and get an overall idea if the watch is for me or not at a local B&M AD, which where I live are big, very impersonal , new staff faces every week kind of chains, like Mayor's....then, I asked for a price, kind of let them bid on it, I always let them know that I'm shopping around for the best price and most important, that I am an educated comsumer...tipically all I get is the "oh well, that's our best price" stonewall line...no discounts, follow by the lack of interest , impatient look mode...at this point I feel they are cheating me or trying too... the fact that today days, the seasonal sales people knows crap about watches in general (with extremely rare exceptions) doesn't help either....in contrast I have a totally diffent experience with another big jewelers chain, "Little Switzerland" with one store in Key West and several more in the Caribean...knowledgeable staff,always whiling to negotiate a deal, including mid/high end brands up to 30/35% discounts, big difference ... never once have to look elsewhere for a significant better price ...pity they are not local
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: eddiea forget the watches lets ride ...   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 2:07 pm

eddiea forget the watches lets ride ...
750cc Honda Shadow .. upgraded to a 1100cc V Star Classic before returning to Hong Kong

ADs - why? DSC_0175
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 4:18 pm

Man that's sweet... I do early fall riding in North Carolina with my KRS(I keep the bike there)...winters in Florida ,although it gets a bit boring down here and I end up doing very little riding after a while.... how are HK roads?are you ever rode there?
ADs - why? Bmw2
Back to top Go down

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: I ride this there ...   ADs - why? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 11:56 pm

I ride this there ...
Great for getting around town in a place you can never get over 100km
ST250 Suzuki
Very cool little Japanese City bike

ADs - why? 84281_1

I drove from Vancouver CND to Nova Scotia on a Honda CBX550 once, man my ass hurt ...

and Vancouver down to LA then right across to New York and then up to Nova Scotia on a 700cc Yamaha Virago

ADs - why? CopyofnoahBike

And Last summer I road the Honda from New Brunswick down to New York and across to Chicago and back ... was a watch tour where I stopped on the way to visit all the folks I met on the Net through watches .....

this coming Summer it will be New York to LA and back on the Yanaha 1100cc
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ADs - why? Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADs - why?   ADs - why? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ADs - why?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: General Watch Discussion...-
Jump to: