The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
SynMike
Senior Associate
SynMike

Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch Empty
PostSubject: Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch   Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 6:30 pm

This is one of my oldest watches. Years ago my brother bought this watch when he was in in the USSR, gave it to me as a Christmas gift. It celebrates the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow. In the late 70s and early 80s he went to the USSR numerous times with his band. It was rare for outsiders to visit the USSR in those days. He has stories of long interrogations by immigration officers on entering and then being followed by the KGB. I thought this was a pretty cool souvenir.

I wore this as my daily watch. The original bracelet lasted less than a year. I replaced the bracelet but then only wore it for a couple of years before it stopped running. Typical of USSR quality, not world leading by any means. It sat unused for years until I had it serviced this year. It's running well now, although it doesn't change day and date reliably. I intend to give it to my brother's son one day.

Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch IMG_1168
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch   Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Nice looking watch..even better you have a story for it. Too bad it still doesn't work exactly right. I don't know anybody who will touch the Russian stuff.

Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch   Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Nice watch Mike and a great story as well ! Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch Icon_biggrin The watch itself is
really classy with a nicely shaped case !..The dial is simple and the
Russian writing and Olympic sign adds even more uniqueness to an
already rare watch !..I think the most important part of the watch
is that it came from your brother. It's great having a watch like this
that you can appreciate and later on give it to someone else who
will appreciate it for years to come ! Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch Icon_cheers Congratulations on getting
the watch running again too !

PostSubject: Re: Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch   Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 10:22 pm

Sweet!!! Very nice dial, with the date upright at the 6 o'clock. Still looks to be in really great shape having been a daily wear . . . . thanks for the peak at it . . . .Randy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch   Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch Icon_minitimeSat Jan 02, 2010 10:26 pm

SynMike wrote:
This is one of my oldest watches. Years ago my brother bought this watch when he was in in the USSR, gave it to me as a Christmas gift. It celebrates the 1980 Summer Olympics in Moscow. In the late 70s and early 80s he went to the USSR numerous times with his band. It was rare for outsiders to visit the USSR in those days. He has stories of long interrogations by immigration officers on entering and then being followed by the KGB. I thought this was a pretty cool souvenir.

I wore this as my daily watch. The original bracelet lasted less than a year. I replaced the bracelet but then only wore it for a couple of years before it stopped running. Typical of USSR quality, not world leading by any means. It sat unused for years until I had it serviced this year. It's running well now, although it doesn't change day and date reliably. I intend to give it to my brother's son one day.

Very nice watch. It's probably a Monday watch Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch Drunken_smilie
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch   Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slava - Moscow Olympics Watch
Page 1 of 1