The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Empty
PostSubject: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 11:47 am

The standards set by COSC are often referred to in WIS circles with respect. It is interesting to me, as a Seikophile, that many WIS seem to think they are the best you can get in a production watch. I've used the term before and gotten flack for it but many WIS are plain Eurocentric in their prejudices. There is nothing inheriently better about a watch made in Europe. Nothing that Europeans can do that others can't do as well. The Japanese have a long cultural tradition of seeking perfection. They have their own standards for a watch that will be sold with the Grand Seiko name. The COSC and GS standards are remarkably similar. They use similar methodology, which is not surprising as they are testing the same things essentially. The main difference between the two is the extra position that the GS standard includes. The GS specs are also tighter overall.

What does that mean practically? Well, any movement that passes either standard is a fine precision instrument. However, while a watch that passes the GS standard will also pass COSC's - the opposite is not true.

Another issue that comes up from time to time when folks "discuss" these things is that these standards only apply to movements. For COSC this is true. All tests are done on uncased movements that must be returned to the manufacturer after the COSC testing to be cased up. This is a significant issue in my opinion because this means that the movements must be shipped back to the factory thereby allowing multiple opportunities for them to become less well adjusted via bouncing, jarring, etc. The Seiko process is completely different. All GS movements are assembled, adjusted, certified and installed within the same Seiko facility. This is important because we're talking incredibly finely adjustment precision instruments.

Info compiled from:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=138058
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COSC
http://www.seiko-watch.co.jp/resource/pdf/manual/9S56_02.pdf
Table from WUS's Seiko Forum
Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Attachment

Last edited by Docrwm on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:23 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 11:54 am

Great stuff Doc!

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 11:58 am

Thanks. Just an added disclaimer:

I own 2 COSC watches. 1 is my Mido All Dial 3 hander that I had to arrange for a copy of the COSC certificate through Swatch in Switzerland and the other is my recent gift from James13 the Cyma Navy Star. I do not own, nor have I ever owned unfortunately, a Grand Seiko.
Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards DSC04186
Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Cymawristshot
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:05 pm

So what you're telling me is Seiko runs the test Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_scratch very interesting!! Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_wink ....

just playin doc Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:07 pm

cali kid wrote:
So what you're telling me is Seiko runs the test Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_scratch very interesting!! Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_wink ....

just playin doc Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Suspect

Yup. They do. Got a problem with that? Huh? Do I need to have AH have a chat with you? You're not causing trouble again, are you?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:23 pm

Nope dont need any pm's or public thrashing in the town square by AH!! I'm good and Seiko Rocks!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:30 pm

cali kid wrote:
Nope dont need any pm's or public thrashing in the town square by AH!! I'm good and Seiko Rocks!!

Darn right. Don't let it happen again. Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 2:42 pm

. . . Ahem..... Doc try to remember in the future to address Mr. Cali-King through his public interface, Mr. Noob.

This would be greatly appreciated, and may indeed save our lives. . . . Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_geek
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 3:08 pm

Incredible info here ! Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_eek VERY informative too ! Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_study
The COSC VS. Grand Seiko comparison is really something !!!
It could probably even be on pay-per-view ! Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Alien

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:11 pm

randyswagon wrote:
. . . Ahem..... Doc try to remember in the future to address Mr. Cali-King through his public interface, Mr. Noob.

This would be greatly appreciated, and may indeed save our lives. . . . Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_geek

Thanks Randy, forgot about that! Bring it up to my associate Mr. Noob!! Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:45 pm

Great stuff as always Doc.

This is why Seiko wasn't invited to the Chronometrie 2009 International timing competition. The europeans were afraid that they might loose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:49 pm

SopheNic wrote:
Great stuff as always Doc.

This is why Seiko wasn't invited to the Chronometrie 2009 International timing competition. The europeans were afraid that they might loose.

BINGO Dave. You win the prize.

Oh, and Welcome to XMT.

-Robert
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:52 pm

Thanks Doc

So, do I win a Grand Seiko as my prize?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 5:18 pm

SopheNic wrote:
Thanks Doc

So, do I win a Grand Seiko as my prize?

Your prize is WISdom my friend, WISdom.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 5:26 pm

Thanks, doc. The first post was very informative. I've a couple of Seiko questions still hanging in the Seiko thread going upstairs in the "General Watch" section. trying to learn some more about them.

The rest of the posts were also very informative, but on a whole different level... Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 5:31 pm

porschefan wrote:
Thanks, doc. The first post was very informative. I've a couple of Seiko questions still hanging in the Seiko thread going upstairs in the "General Watch" section. trying to learn some more about them.

The rest of the posts were also very informative, but on a whole different level... Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Suspect

We aim to please. Sometimes people wander into these threads and try to make trouble, we deal with them but unfortunately the debris is left behind to clutter an otherwise excellent thread. Sorry for the inconvenience. Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Sorry!! Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_redface
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 6:08 pm

cali kid wrote:
Sorry!! Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_redface

Thanks. Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 6:17 pm

Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Lol you guys bust my gut.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 6:39 pm

porschefan wrote:
Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Lol you guys bust my gut.

Sorry. Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_redface err....Thanks Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Interesting topic, would like to see some Grand Seikos and what they charging for them. The Swiss Made thing does'nt mean what it used to as far as I'm concerned. I think it can be argued that some of the large Japanese manufacturers can and do exceed Swiss standards in a lot of ways.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 7:22 pm

merichar wrote:
Interesting topic, would like to see some Grand Seikos and what they charging for them. The Swiss Made thing does'nt mean what it used to as far as I'm concerned. I think it can be argued that some of the large Japanese manufacturers can and do exceed Swiss standards in a lot of ways.

The down side of the GS right now is the incredible strength of the Yen. Prices are high and put them on a Par with Rolex. I've seen many a comparison between the two where Rolex comes off second, but they have increased in cost for those of us in the US using $s.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 7:25 pm

Docrwm wrote:
porschefan wrote:

We aim to please. Sometimes people wander into these threads and try to make trouble, we deal with them but unfortunately the debris is left behind to clutter an otherwise excellent thread. Sorry for the inconvenience. Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_wink

. . . . Ooops. I'm sorry as well. . . Randy. Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_redface
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 7:37 pm

randyswagon wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
porschefan wrote:

. . . . Ooops. I'm sorry as well. . . Randy. Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_redface

It's all good Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards   Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seiko File: COSC vs. Grand Seiko Standards
Page 1 of 1