The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Crystal Replacement from Esslinger

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Empty
PostSubject: Crystal Replacement from Esslinger   Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 12:45 pm

http://www.esslinger.com/watchcrystalreplacement.aspx

How to Replace a Watch Crystal

When a broken or scratched watch crystal needs to be repaired replaced, the first thing to do is identify the type of crystal. Is it plastic? Is it glass? Is it square, round, domed or an odd shape? Does it have a magnifier window? Are there any other differentiating features? The next steps are; remove the old crystal and clean the watch then order the correct crystal and finally to fit the crystal. This article is an overview of some types of watches and how to fit a watch crystal - click below for specific instructions and step by step guides on repairing and replacing watch crystals.

Watch Crystal Replacement Guide

Tools for replacing watch crystals

Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Thumb_35.185

Digital Caliper

Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Thumb-12.0451
Jewelers Epoxy

Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Thumb_12.201

Crystal Clear - Ultraviolet Glass Adhesives

Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Thumb_12.205
GS Crystal Glue

A watchmaker should approach each watch as if it were the most important watch ever. It does not matter if it is mechanical or quartz, expensive, very expensive or quite inexpensive. If the watch crystal needs to be changed, it is the most important watch at that moment. To do a proper job,
95% of the time the movement must be removed from the case and the case cleaned properly.

Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Press_out_crystal

Remove your Old Watch Crystal
To remove the old crystal it can sometimes be pushed out. A plastic crystal should be removed with a crystal lift. Others that are glued with different types of watch epoxy will need to be boiled out or a chemical like methylene chloride has to be used to dissolve the epoxy. The case then has to be cleaned to ready it for a new crystal.

Related Articles:
How to remove a watch crystal

Types of Watch Crystals
Looking at an old mechanical watch, chances are that it will be a dome plastic crystal. If there is not a crystal in the watch, measure the edges of the resting place of the old crystal. A 24.40 mm in diameter measurement would require a round 24.40 dome crystal. Since it is plastic and easily damaged, it should be glued. The Seiko 2-Part S-314 Crystal Adhesive , or Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Crystal_is_removed equivalent can be used.
If size 24.40 mm is not available, a larger size crystal like 24.45, 24.50, may work but it cannot be glued - a Crystal Lift is needed.

Some old watches with plastic crystals like Omegas have a security ring or tension ring to support and secure the crystal. It can be removed with a Bergeon Crystal Lift, 10 to 45mm or equivalent. There are
original crystals to be found, normally more expensive, and because of the security ring, the Crystal and Case Press will be needed. No glue will be necessary with this type of crystal.

Other types of shapes of old watches with a plastic crystal, require more dimensions. For example, an old rectangular Elgin with a domed crystal measuring 14.30mm by 19.40mm probably has a generic crystal to be found that is close to these measurements and can be trimmed or cut to fit the case. Plastic crystals can be filed down and polished and always should to be glued in with Seiko 2-Part S-314 Crystal Adhesive or equivalent.

Crystal Replacement from Esslinger 64.5500

Related Articles;
how to identify watch crystals
and
how to measure watch crystals

Fitting Watch Crystals
Regular flat round mineral glass crystals are probably the most common crystals in today's watches. Remove the old crystal, remove the watch movement and clean the case. Measure the diameter and measure the thickness. Whatever the thickness is, maybe 1.20mm, 1.40mm. 1.50 mm, etc., it is necessary to get as close to the original size as possible. Some of the sport watches with round flat crystals have a crystal gasket that holds the crystal in place. If the gasket is in good condition, you can use the old gasket and set the crystal with Watch Crystal Press. If a gasket is broken or in poor condition you may want to discard the gasket and fit the crystal as close to the bezel as possible with epoxy. If for example, the original crystal was 22.30mm in diameter and Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Apply_gs_glue_to_bezel 2.00mm thick, but the gasket took 1.30 mm, you should order a 23.60mm by 2.00 thick, and glue it (measure the watch case with a digital micrometer for accurate size)

Some watchmakers maintain that nothing beats jewelers epoxy two part cement. It has been the standard for a very long time. The epoxy sets very fast and is clear when it dries. More recently
watchmakers are successfully using the new "Crystal Clear" Ultraviolet Glass Adhesives (or equivalent) with Ultraviolet Lamp (or equivalent). It is fast and clean when used to fit mineral crystals to a metal watch case (dries in less than 4 minutes). Times change, so does technology. If for any reason you need to add a magnifier window to the crystal, (calendar round Mineral Glass Crystal - Magnifier w/ Edge 3.00mm x 4.00mm Middle Item Number: 201703) the ultraviolet adhesive is the solution as it will
will glue the window on with no marks or shadows.

Related Articles;
how to glue in watch crystals and
how use a crystal press to fit crystals

Replacing Original Brand Watch Crystals
Many brand name watches can be replaced with a generic crystal that will save money and possibly some time in ordering a new genuine crystal. First determine the type of crystal that you need, then shop for watch crystals online to see if there is generic crystals that match your watch. If you must have
a genuine manufacturers replacement, you will need to know how to find watch case numbers for bordering parts for that model and brand.

When replacing a crystal in a watch, it needs to match as closely as possible to the original. Look not only for diameters and thickness, but for coloration or hues as some of them have a special tint. Some of them are magnified crystal, others have a design. Most can be replaced with generics. Sometimes only the manufacturer will have the proper replacement as in the case of Bulova, Seiko, Citizen and some
designer brands. Original crystals may still be available. Japanese manufactures normally list the ID number in the case, for example, Seiko 3y03-0059. This number, especially the first 4 digits(3y03) identifies the case and the movement #. Swiss manufactures put the number inside the case, Rolex puts the identification number between the lugs. It is important to find the correct watch case number.

Most high end sport watches use scratch proof sapphire crystals (made of synthetic sapphire). These are really scratch resistant, because there is a possibility that it COULD scratch or chip. With a hardness of 9 on the mohs scale, sapphire crystals can withstand a harder beating than other glass or plastic crystals. Rolex, as an answer to the Japanese flood of sapphire crystals, began using them in the mid 80's for the Date Just, Submariner, president and various other models. In dealing deal with this type of watch try to use original parts only and try to replace not only the crystal but the gasket. Do not glue these crystals and do not use an old crystal gasket. If it is not done right the first time it will come back to haunt you.
Generic parts are good for medium/low priced watches. If you are dealing with top of the line brands (e.g. Rolex, Patek, Audemar) use original parts if possible. Since generic parts sometimes are not an exact replacement for these high end watches, it brand parts help insure that something will not go wrong. If original parts are simply not available, then use the parts that are available.

Related Articles:
how to order watch crystals

Summary

Identify, measure, look for shape and design, for thickness, and colors. Clean watch cases, use pressure, epoxy or UV glue to install them and replace the watch gasket(s) if needed. There are crystals that are not mentioned here, some of them would be held by the bezel and the bezel would be secured with screws and some other will have tension rings holding a thin flat sapphire crystal. This is only an introduction to the most common types of crystal replacement and watch tools. Confidence will lead
to efforts to repair more challenging watches.

This guide will help with crystal fitting for many popular brands including;
Seiko
Omega
Rolex
Citizen
Longines
Bulova
Lorus
Casio
Hamilton

Last edited by Docrwm on Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Replacement from Esslinger   Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Great post Doc but you forgot a hammer, works well for me! Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Suspect
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Replacement from Esslinger   Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Excellent Doc !..Even though I probably won't be doing this
myself !..It's cool to see how it would be done ! Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Icon_smile Thank You !!!

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Replacement from Esslinger   Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 7:47 pm

AtomicTom wrote:
myself !..It's cool to see how it would be done ! Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Icon_smile Thank You !!!

My thoughts too. I'm unlikely to do this any time soon but I've enjoyed the DIY posts and found thisand thought I'd share it.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Replacement from Esslinger   Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Docrwm wrote:
AtomicTom wrote:

My thoughts too. I'm unlikely to do this any time soon but I've enjoyed the DIY posts and found thisand thought I'd share it.

It was a GREAT idea sir !..It's always enjoyable seeing this type of information ! Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Icon_cheers
Thanks again !!!

PostSubject: Re: Crystal Replacement from Esslinger   Crystal Replacement from Esslinger Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crystal Replacement from Esslinger
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Horological Information :: Parts/Mod Links and Reference-
Jump to: