The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Notching a strap

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 8:44 pm

Have any of you ever notched a strap/band to get it to fit? How crappy does it look or does it turn out OK? I have one in mind for a mod project but it only comes in 24mm.
Back to top Go down

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 8:55 pm

i've done many using a razor blade and they always come out fine! rubber is easy, with leather you might want to color the sides of the notch with a marking pen! I've even done it to a few steel bracelets with a dremel tool! Think monster, it's 20mm but after the notch its like 24mm plus all the maratac elite straps are 24mm and notched to the lug size!! go for it, you'll love the results!
Back to top Go down

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 9:09 pm

24mm on 22mm watch (lots of time you can squeze them in, on this one i took just a sliver)

Notching a strap 001-5

24mm on 22mm lug

Notching a strap 003-5

22mm on 20mm lugs

Notching a strap 008

24mm on 23mm lug

Notching a strap 100_3222

20mm on 18mm lugs

Notching a strap 100_2603

24mm on 20mm lug

Notching a strap 100_2399

24mm on 20mm lug

Notching a strap 100_2340

24mm on 22mm lug

Notching a strap 100_2323

Notching a strap 100_2305
Back to top Go down

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 9:12 pm

cali kid wrote:
i've done many using a razor blade and they always come out fine! rubber is easy, with leather you might want to color the sides of the notch with a marking pen! I've even done it to a few steel bracelets with a dremel tool! Think monster, it's 20mm but after the notch its like 24mm plus all the maratac elite straps are 24mm and notched to the lug size!! go for it, you'll love the results!

Sounds easy enough, but do the notched areas start to spread and get all jacked up looking since you cut into the area where the spring bars go which are now exposed?
Back to top Go down

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 9:14 pm

damn cali...just saw the pics...the look great! Not even an issue now! Thanks bro
Back to top Go down

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 9:32 pm

Cali's THE kid, man!
Back to top Go down

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 9:34 pm

Holy crap Trevor, I thought I was the king of strap and bracelet mods. Ya blew my doors right off the hinges. I either use an exacto knife, a leather hole punch or for metal I take it to my goldsmith buddy and he uses carbide drill bits or cutting tools.
Back to top Go down

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 9:37 pm

There were more but thought i was going overboard a bit, anyway you can do almost anything you can think of with a strap, look at the watch you modded Chris, notching a strap is child play!!
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 9:44 pm

And I was going to say buy a notched strap....seems like a cop out now!

Senior Associate
Anomaly

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 10:02 pm

Have you seen Trev's pic?

That sucker is so bad he probably just BITES a notch out!

Chuck Norris is a CaliKid poser!

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 10:47 pm

Excellent thread. If you need to notch one for oddball attachments there are tools to take 1-2-or even 3mm wide bites out of a strap too.
Back to top Go down

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:10 pm

Would like to buy a notching tool, bought well ordered rememberi sell tools a set of arch punches in rounds and oval to punch extra holes in straps, The notching tool looks sweet and i'm sure that is what harold at west coast time uses on his maratac elite straps, they all come in 24mm and he notches them to lug size!!

Notching a strap Westcoastime_2078_15665

Notching a strap Westcoastime_2078_7667106

Here it is the Composite band in BLACK in SIZE 20 mm shown and also comes in 22 and 24 mm,

with contrast colored or not stitching in ALL of the size and solid polished ss hardware-SCROLL DOWN TO SEE ALLL COLORS PLEASE

This band is here in the US in all sizes for everyone: deployed, divers, LE and others: It is not just another pretty face. This band is meant for REAL business. The watch is NOT included .

..........This is a rugged band and IT IS AVAILABLE this is THE ONE. The UNBEATABLE price do not pay prices higher you might see elsewhere This is a quality band and not a throw away. Great for SAR people, Law Enforcement, FD, Military and anyone who has to get their band wet In adverse conditions often. ......... If you have further questions please email. Buyer pre-pays for the band and shipping,. Band will be sent by USPS for 3.50 . No watch shown is included. US Postal MO ships the next day - 48hrs and personal checks and paypal accepted. Many people are unhappy with the taper of their bands

in 24 and 22 and 20 - this band is 24 but fits the other sizes and may be altered slightly

Stitched composite Watch Bands. Available in 20mm, 22mm, and 24mm, with black, white, red, or yellow stitching. All straps measure 24mm wide (non-tapering). Buckle side is 24mm x 80mm. Hole side is 24mm x 135mm. Buckle is polished stainless steel. Weight 20 grams without watch. Comes with springbars. Contains no Kevlar™️.-- EMAIL TO ORDER PLEASE

Last edited by cali kid on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:14 pm

I solved the problem years ago by just buying straps that were the right size to begin with. Notching a strap Icon_razz
Back to top Go down

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:16 pm

foghorn wrote:
I solved the problem years ago by just buying straps that were the right size to begin with. Notching a strap Icon_razz

Way too easy Fog, Some watches just look better with a wider strap on them!!
Back to top Go down

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:19 pm

foghorn wrote:

Damnit Jeff. Beat me to it.

Have you ever had a strap that was the correct size for the watch Cali? That was like 50 watches you just posted, all with altered straps. That said.......Good work!
Back to top Go down

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Thinking about cutting the endlink down to 20mm on this one to put on a seiko monster, wont need the slots in the endlink to release the springbar since the monster has drilled lugs! think this bracelet is going to look kickass on a monster!!

Notching a strap 100_1913
Back to top Go down

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:23 pm

You know what guys, i cant buy a new watch every month but with modding, putting straps on bracelet watches and just changing things up it's real inexpensive way to make a watch look totally different!
Back to top Go down

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:26 pm

cali kid wrote:
You know what guys, i cant buy a new watch every month but with modding, putting straps on bracelet watches and just changing things up it's real inexpensive way to make a watch look totally different!

Agreed.
Back to top Go down

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeFri Jan 15, 2010 11:31 pm

foghorn wrote:

Makes sense to me too, but for some odd reason the one I want only comes in 24mm. That Maratac looks pretty nice, I will have to check it out...
Back to top Go down

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 1:52 am

cski wrote:
foghorn wrote:

Makes sense to me too, but for some odd reason the one I want only comes in 24mm. That Maratac looks pretty nice, I will have to check it out...

what size lugs width are you working with? i've got an all black maratac elite notched for 20mm lugs and a black with orange stitching also 20mm that are new! would look good on any seiko with 20mm lugs, pm your address and they are yours!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Notching a strap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notching a strap   Notching a strap Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Notching a strap
Page 1 of 1