The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

repair of my Sellita SW200

Go down 
+4
Northwestguy
AtomicTom
Anomaly
jaw
8 posters
AuthorMessage

repair of my Sellita SW200 Empty
PostSubject: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 7:39 pm

A couple months ago I got out my platinum dial Invicta subaqua that I have worn 4 to 5 times, decided to sell it and started winding, the thing just will not turn past a couple winds. Damn, my first broke Invicta. So I take off the caseback and rotor, then the plate just under the rotor that allows the movement to wind while the rotor spins in both directions, I notice a brass gear has teeth missing. so cleaned out the movement of metal pieces, put the watch away in a drawer and forgot about it.

This morning I see the watch in the drawer, start looking for a movement online and was thinking that this is basically the same as the ETA 2824.
So I have this parts movement 2824 that I got dirt cheap on ebay last year, it actually works but I got it just for parts.

I took about a half hour but got the ETA 2824 parts swapped over and it works perfect. A few quick pics of the work..

here is how I left this movement a couple months ago..
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05455

here is the stripped gear
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05457

this is the parts 2824 that I got, you can see the brass gear that I need to get to at the bottom of this movement
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05462

I magnetized the screwdriver tip by rubbing it on a magnet, let's you hold onto the tiny screws while working
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05463

after removing the rotor I take the two screws holding the plate
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05467

as you can see the two movements are identical
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05469

the brass gear I need and a side by side of the two
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05472
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05476

here is the new gear installed
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05483

I was inspecting the plate to see if all was working well before putting it on and noticed that another part needed to be replaced, you can see the two together and the one on the right has something stripped. a few pictures of this work taking it slow to not lose something
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05485
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05490

this is what I need
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05491

all fixed and back together
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05493

reinstalled plate and rotor.
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05494
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05496

works perfect
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05500
repair of my Sellita SW200 DSC05499

Last edited by barnbuilder1 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 7:49 pm

Nice work Ron. Looks like you know your way around the guts of a watch, I'm impressed. That's definitely a watch you don't want collecting dust in your storage case. Thanks for the pics, very cool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Congratulations. Very nice work. Really appreciate the detailed photos. Did you demag. the watch after everything was installed?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 8:00 pm

Docrwm wrote:
Congratulations. Very nice work. Really appreciate the detailed photos. Did you demag. the watch after everything was installed?

Not yet but will see if the watch needs it after a day. If so I will need to go see Mark and use his
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 8:07 pm

Wow - brave.
Didn't know you had those chops Ron - Impressive.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 8:25 pm

That is just freakin' impressive!

Great work man!

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 8:39 pm

repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_eek Woohoo Ron !!!!..That is some INCREDIBLE work you did there sir !
It's fantastic that you know how to do this type of work on a watch. repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_smile
It's neat how the movements were basically identical too !..GREAT Job
once again Ron, that is TERRIFIC stuff ! Thanks for all the detailed
description and pictures also !

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 9:05 pm

I agree, that is effen impressive! I have the same watch; had some issues with it as well (dropped by my wife....thats a story in itself!) so I sent it off to the netherworld of Invicta CS. I would never have the brass to open it and fiddle with it myself. Mega kudos to you sir!!! repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 9:47 pm

Great Job Ron! I really don't know why I keep looking for a watchmaker when there is one right here in front of me! Man, you have done some very cool things with switching movements out and bead-blasting and bracelet work. You should open up a little shop.......I know you've had my business in the past and I'd call on you in the future. VERY COOL RON!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 10:05 pm

great job ron, winding gears were bad and you could only shake it to work (like a seiko)!! I've had a few swiss eta movements winding gears go bad, the watch will still work fine but not as it was intended to work, just cant wind then up by using the crown!! Is there anything you cant fix???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 10:08 pm

. . . Saved a great watch and a ton of personal anguish dealing with Invicta C/S by going after that on your own Ron. Really impressive in my book! Tip of the hat to you Sir . . . .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 10:11 pm

Great job and great pics Ron! You da man Bro! repair of my Sellita SW200 812159
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 10:55 pm

I've said it before, I sure wish I knew my way around a watch like you do Ron. Great job!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 11:06 pm

thanks everyone, just fun to do as long as I don't have an extra screw left over after it's back together scratch

3 hours later and its running 4 seconds fast
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 11:12 pm

Glad you got it working again. The only issue I ever had with an Invicta was a SW200 that would'nt wind. It was repaired under warranty and has been fine in the 2 years since. Was the gear that was stripped in direct contact with the crown stem? Let me know if you need the demag.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 11:18 pm

merichar wrote:
Was the gear that was stripped in direct contact with the crown stem?

No, the stem winds the stainless gear next to the one I replaced, so one away.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:08 am

After having a watch become magnetized I decided to buy a demagnetizer from Jake, I figured for $29.00 shipped it's well worth the cost if it saves me having to run the watch into my watchmaker and just do the fix myself.
Ron, your skills never cease to amaze me. The only real mod I did myself was a bead blast job on an Invicta Grand Diver GMT which came out great but I doubt I'll ever attempt the work you do.
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:39 am

Nice work Ron! The two movements are amazingly similiar. I'm glad you have that SAN up and running again.
Back to top Go down
SynMike
Senior Associate
SynMike

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 3:50 am

Congratulations. I'm pretty mechanically minded but I would not attempt that. I'm impressed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 8:25 am

I should become a world reknowned modder! I can switch a strap out like it's nobodies business!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 8:51 am

That is how you do it. Way to go Ron. I just need to ask Ron how did you get the bracelet off that SA? I have been trying to do a switch and can't get the bracelet or strap off either watch. repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_evil

bodypeersur1 wrote:
I should become a world reknowned modder! I can switch a strap out like it's nobodies business!

Your already world reknown. For molesting trees!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 11:03 am

Dale wrote:
That is how you do it. Way to go Ron. I just need to ask Ron how did you get the bracelet off that SA? I have been trying to do a switch and can't get the bracelet or strap off either watch. repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_evil

bodypeersur1 wrote:

Your already world reknown. For molesting trees!!!

Ya, that kind of reminded me of seeing a dog humping a pillow... repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_rabbit Just givin' ya a hard time Duff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 1:00 pm

Fascinating and educational. Thanks. Knew the SW200 was an ETA clone. This made me realize how close they actually are.
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 3:00 pm

Awesome post. I've said it before and will say it again. These kinds of threads are what make me love the watch forums so much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 4:52 pm

Dale wrote:
I just need to ask Ron how did you get the bracelet off that SA? I have been trying to do a switch and can't get the bracelet or strap off either watch.

Use two srewdrivers that fit the slot perfect, not something that is to small. Add some masking tape to the tips, this will help to prevent scratching, mask around the lug screw. Start with only one screwdriver and if the other end turns you will need to hold it but many times it will not and it's much easier to use one screwdriver at a time.

boscoe wrote:
Knew the SW200 was an ETA clone. This made me realize how close they actually are.

That's what I found to be so cool about doing this. Many parts between the two were perfect match, I thought that some may be made at the same factory

Btw, 21hrs later and the watch is fast by 25sec.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 5:05 pm

boscoe wrote:
Fascinating and educational. Thanks. Knew the SW200 was an ETA clone. This made me realize how close they actually are.

. . . . Damn. Back to school on this one for me.

I thought the SW200 was an ETA 2824 that Sellita modified and added an extra jewel into . . . .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 5:32 pm

randyswagon wrote:
boscoe wrote:

. . . . Damn. Back to school on this one for me.

I thought the SW200 was an ETA 2824 that Sellita modified and added an extra jewel into . . . .

You are correct. But they are made by Sellita.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 5:43 pm

. . . . . . . .Whew, had the dunce cap ready . . . . was gonna put it right on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 6:30 pm

This movement came on to my radar when Invicta began using them about four-five years ago in the Swiss Pro Divers. The Sellita movements featured blue rotors and there was a big rush on them at first because it was thought they were unique and had that extra jewel.
Now this is a movement made on a Eta design because the patent expired. That's my understanding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: repair of my Sellita SW200   repair of my Sellita SW200 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

repair of my Sellita SW200
Page 1 of 1