The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.

Go down 
+7
AtomicTom
TAZMAN64
ericf4
max
Anomaly
Noisy Nova
PoliMalaka
11 posters
AuthorMessage

I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Empty
PostSubject: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 5:23 am

My question to you all is this, does an automatic watch with small seconds not detract from the fact that it's an automatic watch. I love the look of the big sweep hand. I really don't mean this the offend because there is one person I know for sure that just picked up an auto with a small sweeping second hand. All I'm getting at is so many guys say they hate the tick of a quartz watch and love the look and elegance of the sweep hand which is hard to see with small seconds.
Man, I am up way past my bedtime. I just couldn't sleep, now I can. Later
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 8:23 am

The Magic 8-ball says.....

Ask again later
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 8:49 am

I love the sweep too. This one has such a tiny second hand that you've got to look really hard to see it move. So I'm open either way.

I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. HamiltonJMBlack03
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 10:40 am

I have one with the small second hand, its good for me, the full size second hand for sure is much sweeter to watch sweeping around the dial, but if the right auto came along and it had the small second hand I would buy it.
Back to top Go down
Noisy Nova
Associate
Noisy Nova

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 10:42 am

Both quartz. I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_biggrin

I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. DSCF1347

I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. DSCF1356Large
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 10:55 am

It's all about tastes Falcon, no one should be insulted.

Since we have no female members here, or if we do they never post, let's look at a woman's body. Some men like really full chested women and some live by the adage "a handful is enough..."

That about covers it... I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_twisted

Associate
max

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 11:05 am

Really doesnt matter to me as long as it has a seconds hand. Only one watch I would buy without one.

If I had to pick one I do like a large seconds hand better. Why Im not really a big fan of chronos although they are growing one me.

I like the precise click of a quartz and appreciate the sweep of a high beat movement.
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 11:21 am

i sort of agree, for me if i have an auto it must either have a large sweep or a small sweep...I am just not crazy about no sweep hand as i like to see it moving...A few anonimos are chronos with no sweep second hand as they supress it....Hard to get past that for me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 11:47 am

I've got a few hand crankers with small second hand and on that hamilton you could just run the chrono hand if the small second bugs you that much!!!

I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. 003-5

I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. 100_2380
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 12:02 pm

Depends on the over all design, but generally yes. Like you, Falcon, my taste runs to sweeping large second hands. Subdials are one of the reasons I'm not crazy about chronos - though I do own some. Some I guess I'm inconsistent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 12:10 pm

Dont own any quartz but if i did would want just a two hand setup, just cant get into that tick tick thing!!
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 2:14 pm

i think it all depends on the design of the watch, plus most autos do have a large sweep hand so its nice to mix it up a bit. I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. P7202763or6
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Not a fan of them myself but its like everything else - its all in the eye of the beholder. Not a fan of 46mm+ watches, don't they detract from the symmetry and elegance of a beautiful subtle watch? I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Suspect
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 3:47 pm

Docrwm wrote:
Not a fan of them myself but its like everything else - its all in the eye of the beholder. Not a fan of 46mm+ watches, don't they detract from the symmetry and elegance of a beautiful subtle watch? I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Suspect

Depends in large part (pun intended, in retrospect) on the wearer, IMHO.....while I have some "smaller" watches (41-42mm), they can look like toys on my 8 1.2-inch+ wrist...most of what I own, though, is in the 44-48mm size...my favorite "go to" watch right now, for instance, is my orange/rubber Oceanaire (45mm)...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 4:02 pm

If we all had the same taste things would be pretty boring..............and we would all be wearing a rolex sub!! I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 5:24 pm

Don..I only have the big second hand automatic right now ! I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_smile It seems
great and it is nice seeing the hand sweep like you said. However, I definitely
see myself getting an automatic with small seconds as well ! I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_biggrin Maybe then
I can be a bit more objective. Basically I think either way is COOL and there
is no right or wrong opinion with these movements. It's up to the person to
enjoy the watches and movements the way they want to in the end ! I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_cheers

Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 5:38 pm

I like 'em. . . I think these look pretty good.
I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Dscn0976p
I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Dscn2145h
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 5:43 pm

Not really a deal breaker either way. Second hand subdial or not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 5:44 pm

cali kid wrote:
If we all had the same taste things would be pretty boring..............and we would all be wearing a rolex sub!! I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_wink

Line from a movie (can't remember which one. A Dad talking to his son) "If everyone had the same tastes, they'd all be after your mother."
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 5:47 pm

I like both types of seconds hands and I do like the sweep better than the tick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2010 9:47 pm

I never really thought about it,but aside from an occasional accuracy check, I really don't even notice the seconds hand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 2:20 am

Well I'm not sure if elegant is the right word to use when describing what I think when I see a sweeping hand but there is something mesmerizing about them. I guess that would be the reason I'd really like to have the big sweep. Trying to watch a small seconds hand sweep isn't quite the same.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 2:53 am

I can live with and like either, as long as there is a seconds hand, auto or quartz.( My Autopilot has always sort of been weird to me, no seconds hand.) scratch
Back to top Go down
SynMike
Senior Associate
SynMike

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 3:11 am

I do like the smooth sweep of a better quality mechanical. You are right, a large central hand makes easier to see that sweep.

But I really like small seconds watches. I can still see that sweep with a small dial. And because the actual distance travelled by the end of the hand is shorter with each step, the small hand looks even smoother. If you've got good eyes it's a thing of beauty.

Furthermore, I appreciate mechanical movements for more than just the sweeping second hand. I even chose to buy one mechanical with only 2 hands.

Here's another look at my favorite small seconds watch:

I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Bmsmall
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 8:40 am

I also like the sweep, but when I read this post initially, I immediately thought of the small seconds Oris Diver (can't remember the model). It totally rocks in looks. So I guess it's not a deal breaker for me personally.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 9:02 am

I think it all depends on the watch. I like large seconds better but there are small seconds watches that I would go for before some large seconds watches I have seen. Of course I like chronos alot. Three hand the best but I love an auto chrono.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 10:18 am

I have to say that I am not a fan of the small second hand. Being as I'm OLD AN BLIND it's much easier for me to read a large sweeping second hand when taking a pulse or awaiting BeerThirty. JMHO though. I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_geek
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2010 5:39 pm

I just decided I'm offended by this whole thing.
Your apology is not accepted Falcon!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 2:33 am

boscoe wrote:
I just decided I'm offended by this whole thing.
Your apology is not accepted Falcon!

Okay. I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_rabbit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.   I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I will start off by saying that this is not intended to insult anyone.
Page 1 of 1