The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Not Enough Time

Go down 
+5
sixtysix
merichar
Anomaly
jaw
Northwestguy
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 9:21 pm

Just wanted to drop by and say Hi to everyone and let you guys know that I am still around. I find that I do not have a lot of time these days to post as often as I would like to. Between work and family (neither of which am I complaining about), I do not seem to have much left over for the forum. I usually go to the site without signing in, check some of the postings real quick to try and stay current and then I leave. I have also been re-arranging my watch pieces and have gone through quite a lot of sales and purchases. The times that I did spend on the forums were for selling and buying. Today, I have some time so I wanted to post this and keep you all informed. About 1 1/2 years ago, I had accumulated 110 watches. Sadly (I say this for myself), they were many TV brands in the herd. As many have all ready expressed, I was blind to anything else other than some of the big names like Rolex. It really wasn't until I ventured away from WG's and started looking at other forums like WUS, Time Zone, Oceantime , Dive watch connection, and of course XMT, did I come across so much more on so many different brands of watches, bands, supplies, and all types of info. Anyway, many of you have told this story before so let me move on. I decided to start selling my watches and using the money to move-up from where I was in my collection to more of what I really wanted. Of course the knowledge I was gathering as time went on was a powerful tool in my decision to move away from where I was and more to where I am today. To shorten my story.......I sold just about every TV brand I owned and purchased pieces from other venues. I am down to 17 watches at this point in time. A much more manageable amount and a much more WEARABLE amount and a MUCH MORE ENJOYABLE collection. The losses were astounding on the sale of the watches (even though I bought them for me and not for resale). I was shocked at how much they were de-valued. I soon got over that depression and moved along because I was feeling much better about the watches I was acquiring while selling the others. So here I am today with my collection that was inspired by some of you and by others as well. I am so much calmer now and do not have a burning hole in my pocket that makes me spend money on a watch just because it is for sale or because I was persuaded to have it. I apologize for the long post but remember, I haven't posted much in recent times and I needed to speak my peace to those who I think could understand best. I'll post my collection at another time. I would like you all to see where I am at. THANKS for letting bend your ears!
Back to top Go down

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 9:32 pm

John, you've been missed so get around more often!! think more than a few of us has been through the same thing and much happier for it! Problem is that everyone of us who realizes whats happening and fixes the mess they reel in 100 more! valuepays and cheap watches are not making collectors just guys with a bunch of junk! Hey we can only wear one watch at a time and it might as well be a nice one!! Great to hear things are good, this place isnt the same without you hangin' with the boys!!
Back to top Go down

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 9:39 pm

. . . Good to hear from you John. I know just what you speak of . . . . Randy.
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks John and thanks for leading me to XMT.
I too see my mostly TV collection in a completely different light after being here.
Haven't taken the extreme steps you have cept for just giving a bunch to Goodwill.
But it has definitely influenced my future buying criteria.

Don't be a stranger.
--
jaw
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 9:43 pm

John...

We thank YOU for being here and hope to see you around more!

And yeah, let's see some pics asap!

Senior Associate
Anomaly

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 9:44 pm

Sorry for to post again so fast, but JOHN'S post is what this site is TRULY all about!

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 9:52 pm

I've missed you posting John. i understand about other committments. We'll take you whenever you have some spare time. I learned the hard lesson about the value of my collection a few months ago as well. I got so disheartened I didn't post for a while myself.
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 9:57 pm

Good to catch up with you John, don't be a stranger.
Back to top Go down

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:00 pm

Nice post man. I am not real familiar with you, but I love guys that actually post something I can take a minute or two to READ! Please continue to contribute as often as possible, and would love to hear about your new stuff.
Back to top Go down

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:05 pm

Glad you stopped by and sure am glad to hear that you are enjoying wearing your collection. 17 is a much more realistic number IMHO. I keep trying to get mine down and improve the quality as well. Looking forward to seeing where you go next with your collection.
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:21 pm

Can't wait to see what you are keeping.....I can never do 17 watches though...I can't possibly read every thread here either.

Not Enough Time Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:23 pm

I'm with Mike.
Back to top Go down

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:42 pm

I know what you mean about the great people here giving the best advise about watches with no BS!
Glad to have you here John.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 11:36 pm

John, that was GREAT ! Not Enough Time Icon_biggrin Thanks for giving us some insight into
your collection and how you feel about watches. Also..there is no
need to apologize for your posts length ! Not Enough Time Icon_smile We enjoy reading all
of this stuff ! By the way, stop by when ever you can sir !

Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 11:43 pm

Thanks a "BUNCH" guys! I will try to bop in a little bit more often.
Back to top Go down

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 11:44 pm

Aqua Homer wrote:
Nice post man. I am not real familiar with you, but I love guys that actually post something I can take a minute or two to READ! Please continue to contribute as often as possible, and would love to hear about your new stuff.

^^^ What AH said, word for word. (Thanks for posting that, AH Not Enough Time Icon_wink )
Back to top Go down

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 12:33 am

cali kid wrote:
Hey we can only wear one watch at a time and it might as well be a nice one!!

A true WIS can wear 2 at a time.

One on each wrist.

Geeks are willing to wear hockey pucks so why can't a real WIS wear 2 watches??

Think of the compliments you'll get,not to mention the doubling of your pleasure!

(Please refrain from posting the Nick Hayek multi-watch pics-all that ETA/Swatch stuff gets really boring.)
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 12:37 am

foghorn wrote:
cali kid wrote:

My dad wore two at once. I thought he was crazy, but these days I think that he was just dedicated to his collection Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 1:26 am

foghorn wrote:
cali kid wrote:

One on each wrist.

Geeks are willing to wear hockey pucks so why can't a real WIS wear 2 watches??

Think of the compliments you'll get,not to mention the doubling of your pleasure!

(Please refrain from posting the Nick Hayek multi-watch pics-all that ETA/Swatch stuff gets really boring.)

Agreed... Not Enough Time Icon_bounce

Associate
max

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:12 am

Hi John and welcome (back?). I think most of us here are in watch rehab of one sort or another.
It seems to be the natural progression of things.
Back to top Go down

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:18 am

So glad to see you're happy with the change in direction of your collection John! Many of us have enjoyed the "AWAKENING" by moving "FORWARD" with our collections! I have a couple Invictas that will always be part of my collection but I won't go in to details why. None the less, glad you found time to stop by! I love the Sinn U1 and can't wait to see the rest of your watches!
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 11:21 pm

Thanks for the update John. Great to hear from you. You've aade me "check out" (well you know what I mean) every cyclist in the area. I'll see you out there one day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Not Enough Time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Enough Time   Not Enough Time Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not Enough Time
Page 1 of 1