The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How many is enough?

Go down 
+7
sixtysix
AtomicTom
max
jackprime1
jaw
andrema
Anomaly
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

How many is enough? Empty
PostSubject: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 11:17 am

I know this is not a new question, but many, like myself, have "thinned the herd" and are going with the "quality over quantity" mindset. So, NOW, how many watches do you see being in your collection in six months?

PostSubject: About ten watches ....   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 11:42 am

About ten watches ....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:07 pm

noahfuller wrote:
About ten watches ....

lol! Gotta support your marketing campaign!

Because everybody needs 10 watches. cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:08 pm

I'm trying to keep it down to 5 or less. How many is enough? 71883
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Because everybody needs 10 watches.   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:09 pm

Well
Because everybody needs at-least 10 watches.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:17 pm

I have 12 now but have this AWESOME 16 slot box Ron built for me...

What to do, what to do How many is enough? Icon_question

Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:22 pm

Anomaly wrote:
I have 12 now but have this AWESOME 16 slot box Ron built for me...

What to do, what to do How many is enough? Icon_question
Easy...buy 4 more!!!! How many is enough? Icon_cheers

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:36 pm

I have thinned-down a bit, but I have at least 20 still. Unfortunately, most are "hamburger-helper" that sit in the watch box and are never worn, but too cheap to motivate me to sell them... I guess (15) $70-100 watches will buy me a nice watch, so I'm sure I'll get 'em going eventually.

Some of them I am actually embarrassed to post. How many is enough? Icon_redface Maybe I'll eBay them...
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:39 pm

argabright wrote:
I have thinned-down a bit, but I have at least 20 still. Unfortunately, most are "hamburger-helper" that sit in the watch box and are never worn, but too cheap to motivate me to sell them... I guess (15) $70-100 watches will buy me a nice watch, so I'm sure I'll get 'em going eventually.

Some of them I am actually embarrassed to post. How many is enough? Icon_redface Maybe I'll eBay them...

Dude you would be surprised what people will buy, try WUS sales forum, LOTS of traffic there!

Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Help...
Embarrassed to say how many I have ( haven't done an inventory lately).
I know many aren't worth the trouble to sell on eBay.
So last year I collected about 20 and donated them to Goodwill to sell.
I will probably do it again this year.
Have several sets of same watch in different variations (Invicta).
There are easily 20-30 I cannot yet part with.
Back to top Go down
jackprime1
Senior Associate
jackprime1

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 12:57 pm

I am probably making a purchase next week and that purchase will probably be my last for the year..if not maybe one more this year...I want to keep it 1 to 2 quality watches per year. I sold off all my low end watches and down to 6 watches and going to rebuild slowly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 1:01 pm

tough question.maybe the owl said it best.how many licks does it take to get to the center of a lollipop?

Serious answer.I'm a collector.For dive watches, I collect them from each depth range, then movement.I try to get a good cross section of real swiss made watches, manufactory watches.Then I do the same with German watches and Japanese watches and some Chinese watches.I also collect different hybred movements.atomic,solar,eco,kinetic, kinetic direct drive.Then different materials watches.

But I could live with only two watches.Brand doesn't even matter.I need two because if one breaks or needs service I have a back up watch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:29 pm

yamahaki wrote:
tough question.maybe the owl said it best.how many licks does it take to get to the center of a lollipop?

Serious answer.I'm a collector.For dive watches, I collect them from each depth range, then movement.I try to get a good cross section of real swiss made watches, manufactory watches.Then I do the same with German watches and Japanese watches and some Chinese watches.I also collect different hybred movements.atomic,solar,eco,kinetic, kinetic direct drive.Then different materials watches.

But I could live with only two watches.Brand doesn't even matter.I need two because if one breaks or needs service I have a back up watch.

You could live with two but you just happen to have a couple hundred!! How many is enough? 812159 I would just like to pick two from your collection, the whole collection, you know the stuff in the saftey deposit box at the bank collection! How many is enough? Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
max
Associate
max

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 2:47 pm

Im hoping for 15-20, ideally 16 but Im just kidding myself. How many is enough? Icon_sad
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 4:19 pm

For a while now I have just been focusing on Zodiacs ! So I am
hoping to be somewhere just below 20 with those. I don't really
buy watches that often, however, that would probably be about
the number of Zodiacs in total in the next six months or more.
Down the road, I would like to add some of the awesome brands
we all talk about here as well ! How many is enough? Icon_cheers..Let me add that in total I will
probably have more than 30, if I include ALL of my watches besides
Zodiac !

Last edited by AtomicTom on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 4:52 pm

Is that new watches in the next few months or total? (and I have sold 30ish in the past few months!) I wondered why the numbers in the poll were so low.

How many is enough? Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 4:57 pm

sixtysix wrote:
Is that new watches in the next few months or total? (and I have sold 30ish in the past few months!) I wondered why the numbers in the poll were so low.

How many TOTAL you think you will have 6 months from now... How many is enough? Icon_bounce

Senior Associate
SynMike

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 5:34 pm

I have about 50 at the moment. I don't see that changing a whole lot. I have some in mind that will probably be sold in the near future. But I have a wanted list that currently has about 10 watches (I can only afford about 1/2 of them).
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 5:52 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 6:34 pm

I've been working on paring down my collection and ridding myself of watches that I don't like or wear anymore. Also, since i was fortunate enough to win my 8 head winder I'm now going to get some more automatics.
Back to top Go down
TVDinner
Senior Associate
TVDinner

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 6:39 pm

I am hoping to have 200 $4-8,000 watches by the end of 2010.
I have $1,600,000 in my watch buying budget for 2010.
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 6:43 pm

TVDinner wrote:
I am hoping to have 200 $4-8,000 watches by the end of 2010.
I have $1,600,000 in my watch buying budget for 2010.
You should just drop the cash on one GRAIL.... How many is enough? Lol

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 7:14 pm

Currently have about 22 give or take 1 or 2, I've been selling before buying. Typically a 3:1 ratio; 3 sells to one buy, so slowly upgrading the collection. Have 4 or 5 more going up FS shortly to go to a future purchase.

22 - 5 + 1 = 18 in the next 6 months. How many is enough? Icon_scratch

Yeah so that's the number I'll have in the next six months in my collection, unless of course I pick something else up in between. How many is enough? 252943
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 7:28 pm

have had over 100 sitting in the 20-30 range and could go even further down, just got to figure out what to selll! Might have a couple glycines up for sale that just got back from glycine USA with full service on both and a new crystal for one!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 7:50 pm

. . . for the first time ever, I can honestly say I am done with the frenzy. There are 2 watches I have my eye on right now . . . that's it.

. . . I'll just keep what I have and be patient. I have around 50 right now . . . some I love, some I like, some are just squatters in my cabinet . . . they can sit. I have time . . .

SO, maybe 52 or 53 would be the answer. . .
Back to top Go down
Noisy Nova
Associate
Noisy Nova

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2010 9:12 pm

I voted that I need help. How many is enough? Icon_smile
I've got two 6-watch cases, both full.
I would like to try to get down to six watches total.
I don't really think that I can do it though.
Some of them are too cool, and have so low a value, that it isn't worth the trouble to list them for sale.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How many is enough?   How many is enough? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How many is enough?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: General Watch Discussion...-
Jump to: