The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Paint all over vehicle...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Paint all over vehicle... Empty
PostSubject: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 6:20 pm

It's been cold and rainy (for Florida at least) and it's been about 3 weeks since I washed my vehicle. Well as I clean it today, I notice there is creme colored paint splattered ALL over it, mostly drivers side, all over back door and wheel cover, all over under carriage, ON THE RUBBER MOLDINGS!!!!!!!!!

I've tried gasoline, bug and tar remover, cleaning clay...been just rubbing it off with my fingertips about a square inch at a time and now I can't feel my finger tips!!!!!!

Any suggestions?

DAMN, my Hummer looks like it has cake batter all over it Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253 Paint all over vehicle... 500253

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 6:23 pm

Sorry bro, that sux big time!! Any idea how it might have happend? A good detailer might be able to lightly compound it out. as far as the molding, not sure.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 6:24 pm

cski wrote:
Sorry bro, that sux big time!! Any idea how it might have happend? A good detailer might be able to lightly compound it out. as far as the molding, not sure.

Thanks man, I am totally bummer, car is 3 years old and not ONE door ding!

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 6:25 pm

Damn Bro! Where have you been to get paint overspray on your HUMMER?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 6:27 pm

Not sure, I had the same thing happen to me last year with the new truck, it's still on there.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 6:29 pm

bodypeersur1 wrote:

Well, here is the deal...

Trying to stay calm, but my wife drives it 95% of the time as I work from home. I may drive it 2x a month now. I KNOW she would not have done it on purpose but looks like it was driving through a paint puddle!

What is weird though, I think I am handling this better than if one of my watches got dinged up, how crazy is that?????

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 6:47 pm

Anomaly wrote:
bodypeersur1 wrote:

Well, here is the deal...

Trying to stay calm, but my wife drives it 95% of the time as I work from home. I may drive it 2x a month now. I KNOW she would not have done it on purpose but looks like it was driving through a paint puddle!

What is weird though, I think I am handling this better than if one of my watches got dinged up, how crazy is that?????

Go figure! But I'm sure if it was the Mrs...it was an inadvertent mistake. You're handling it VERY WELL!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 6:53 pm

. .. I owned a detail shop for a looooong time Alan. Removed alot of overspray. If it's just regular house paint it would normally come right off with a light solvent, then you would polish and re-wax. I used to get a lot of jobs that were from industrial painting over spray. These paints are generally epoxy based and as the name implies they are built to stick. If you got hit by contractor overspray, they are generally insured for this type of event. Back track your brides travels and you may find something freshly painted. Go after them, it's their responsibility to prevent damage to other people's property . . .

. . . . and please, no gasoline on a clear coat finish. It can soften the clear, and make it cloudy . . . clay is a good option, but you'll likely have to multi step it . . . . and have it machine polished when it's stripped. . . .

Bad deal Bro' . . . . Good luck.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 7:23 pm

Paint all over vehicle... Family

Specially blended solvent which provides easy cleanup of most types of adhesives, bugs, greases and oils, overspray, silicone, waxes and tars. Will not harm most thoroughly cured automotive paint, vinyl or fabrics when properly used.
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 7:40 pm

That Sux bad...take it to a body shop...let them do it right.

Paint all over vehicle... Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
jackprime1
Senior Associate
jackprime1

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 8:11 pm

WoW that sux Alan...feel for ya bro...I would try goo off or goo be gone...I have used it several times on tar and stuff like that and it comes off. I would find out first if it will be good to use on your cars paint. I did it on mine but my car is white so I cant tell if I ruined anything...
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 8:47 pm

It's upsetting when this happens, because alot of the products say they can
help removing the paint, but often don't ! I have been looking around online
and alot of people say the clay bar works, however, you have been trying that
already ! Also people say various compounds too, but that "might" dull or scratch
the surface too ! Paint all over vehicle... Icon_eek Even paint thinner, mineral spirits, and fine grit sandpaper
were options. The 3M Adhesive and Wax removal sounds good, but I have never
used that before. Actually it might take a combination of things to get that paint
off for you. Otherwise a professional detailer might be an option ! Here are a few
links for you..Good Luck !!!!

http://www.ehow.com/how_5695041_clean-paint-splatters-car-paint.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_5782964_highway-splatter-off-automobile-finish.html

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G1001

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/07240.html

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

There's probably lots of possible DIY home remedies that work pretty well...but if it's really bad I think I'd just take it to a pro. I'd be afraid of screwing it up more myself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeSun Feb 28, 2010 9:30 pm

I'm ase and icar certified.if its the factory paint thats on the vehicle you can get it off. whatever splashed on it even if its epoxy based didn't bond to the surface.If you sand then polish you'll leave raised areas on each one you take off.Also factory paint is only 3 mils thick so sanding? no.
do this.get a can of lacquer thinner and a bondo spreader.wet down some of those spots with the thinner.It will evaporate pretty quick.Then take the spreader and scrape off the spots.theres two other methods if this stuff is paint.both methods would need to be done by a automotive painter.1st one is to take a razor blade.Run the blade at an angle on a piece of glass.That will knock off any burrs on the blade.That back scrape the paint dots.that will remove them.The 2nd way is to just use a pain nib file.Thats for getting trash out of the paint job.Thats what I'd use 1st. they make two paint nib files.ones coarse the others fine.use the fine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 12:28 am

Professional detailer
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 12:33 am

Thanks for all the advice guys...

...I will try a couple of these.

Associate
max

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 1:45 pm

Your neighbor clean his roof lately? If so tap his HO Insurance.

I thought Id seen stupid till I moved to Floriduh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paint all over vehicle...   Paint all over vehicle... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paint all over vehicle...
Page 1 of 1