The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sheffield Diver

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

Sheffield Diver Empty
PostSubject: Sheffield Diver   Sheffield Diver Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 9:44 pm

Got this cool old 70's diver (well diver style any way) off eBay for $40, Maybe it's not worth crap but I liked the look and the cool hour hand. Will open it up soon and post some pictures of the movement, to see if I got ripped. Anybody ever heard of, or had any experience with Sheffield? The date window looks like a '70 timex.....

35ish year old lume still works for a few minutes, got a picture of it before it faded!

Sheffield Diver Sheffy001

Sheffield Diver Sheffy004

Sheffield Diver Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Sheffield Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Diver   Sheffield Diver Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 10:55 pm

Wowee Gary ! Sheffield Diver Icon_cheers You REALLY got your money's worth with
this watch imho sir ! Haven't heard of them before, but the
style is NICE. You're right about that hour hand, it's BIG and
bold. A GREAT looking bezel, with a classic dial too. Hey and
that lume is still working as well. That's AMAZING ! Sheffield Diver 803574
Congrats and Enjoy it !

sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

Sheffield Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Diver   Sheffield Diver Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 11:13 pm

Thanks Tom...I will have to send it out for a service, but it should be a good runner. Case is made in France, marked Sheffield Watch Co. Case gasket was intact with no corrosion inside. It loses some time, but all seems good on the inside.

The movement is a Lorsa P75 according to Ranfft the specs are as follows. ( http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Lorsa_P75 ) This movement dates to 1960 so this could be 10 years older than I figured...40 - 50years old!! Usually the water resistant thing dates it to late 1960's though I think. So it is most likely about 40 years old not 50.

Lorsa P75

Features

manual wind
sweep second
date

Data
11.5''', Dm= 25.6mm
H= 4.95mm
17/21 jewels
f = 18000 A/h
power reserve 43h

Sheffield Diver Sheffy005

Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Sheffield Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Diver   Sheffield Diver Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 1:33 am

sixtysix wrote:
Thanks Tom...I will have to send it out for a service, but it should be a good runner. Case is made in France, marked Sheffield Watch Co. Case gasket was intact with no corrosion inside. It loses some time, but all seems good on the inside.

The movement is a Lorsa P75 according to Ranfft the specs are as follows. ( http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Lorsa_P75 ) This movement dates to 1960 so this could be 10 years older than I figured...40 - 50years old!! Usually the water resistant thing dates it to late 1960's though I think. So it is most likely about 40 years old not 50.

Lorsa P75

Features

manual wind
sweep second
date

Data
11.5''', Dm= 25.6mm
H= 4.95mm
17/21 jewels
f = 18000 A/h
power reserve 43h

Sheffield Diver Sheffy005

Don't mention it Gary ! Sheffield Diver Icon_smile It's one interesting and unique watch sir ! The movement looks FANTASTIC, and it's
great that there is no corrosion after all of this time. Thanks for the link, as well as the extra information on the
watch ! Sheffield Diver Icon_cheers ENJOY !

PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

Sheffield Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Diver   Sheffield Diver Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:03 am

Cool!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Sheffield Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Diver   Sheffield Diver Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:05 am

We may have to give you and Tom your own vintage section!

COOL MAN!

Sheffield Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Diver   Sheffield Diver Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:31 am

Great snag at a great price Gary! Looks great for a watch that may be 40-50 years old!
Back to top Go down

Sheffield Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Diver   Sheffield Diver Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:54 am

Great snag for 40 beans! Looks great all around, no rust or dirt inside, dial looks great. I love those great Ebay finds!
Back to top Go down

Sheffield Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Diver   Sheffield Diver Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:52 pm

handset is worth 40 bones, very cool! think i saw some Lorsa movements and parts, maybe even hands at ottofrei! Great find Gary, i need to get back on the bay and start fishing around! Since it's almost 50 years old i'm surprised it still glows, most likely still used radium back then. whats the case size!
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

Sheffield Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Diver   Sheffield Diver Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 8:23 pm

cali kid wrote:
handset is worth 40 bones, very cool! think i saw some Lorsa movements and parts, maybe even hands at ottofrei! Great find Gary, i need to get back on the bay and start fishing around! Since it's almost 50 years old i'm surprised it still glows, most likely still used radium back then. whats the case size!

Case is 35mm ish (add 3-4mm for crown) I was really surprised, it seems to wear much bigger for some reason.

Thanks for all the great comments guys, hopefully I will get this one serviced soon and have some after pictures to share.

Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

Sheffield Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Diver   Sheffield Diver Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:11 pm

Interesting find, I've seen the Sheffield name before in vintage divers, but don't really know anything about them. In that model, like a lot of the others of that era you can really see the inspiration for some of the current designs out there. I wish they had made 60-70's dive watches around 40mm plus, with SS cases and sapphire crystals. I wonder if they next generation of watch nuts will be complaining about the dive watch sizes from today.
Back to top Go down

Sheffield Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Diver   Sheffield Diver Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:38 pm

I like the style. That is german I am assuming? Nice movement IMHO.
Back to top Go down

Sheffield Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Diver   Sheffield Diver Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 9:52 pm

Nice looking movement in this watch. a lot of nice vintage watches out there with great movements
Back to top Go down

Sheffield Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Diver   Sheffield Diver Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 1:58 am

merichar wrote:
Interesting find, I've seen the Sheffield name before in vintage divers, but don't really know anything about them. In that model, like a lot of the others of that era you can really see the inspiration for some of the current designs out there. I wish they had made 60-70's dive watches around 40mm plus, with SS cases and sapphire crystals. I wonder if they next generation of watch nuts will be complaining about the dive watch sizes from today.

You are so right Mark, really see the older pieces having a huge effect on most of the stuff out now! Hope in the future they say our cases were too big, i just hate seeing this thing getting bigger and bigger but from what i've read things are coming back down! Most real dive watches are in the 40-46mm range and 44mm seems to be the most favorite size of real dive companies! this crap you see at 52mm and 500 meters you wouldnt catch on the wrist of a real diver anywhere, i'm not a diver but some of the junk that is being made should be called desk divers! Sheffield Diver 492736
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sheffield Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheffield Diver   Sheffield Diver Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sheffield Diver
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Vintage Watches-
Jump to: