The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??

Go down 
+3
Anomaly
pacifichrono
TAZMAN64
7 posters
AuthorMessage
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Empty
PostSubject: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 6:32 pm

this is the first watch i bought that started this madness we call collecting. i was just wondering how many of you still have the one that started it for you?? mine is a oceanaut seven seas world timer, its 42mm, domed sapphire, eta 2824, 5 link bracelet, brushed s.s. here are some pics. it almost looks as good as the day i got it.

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? P3223931OC5

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? P3223929OC4

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? P3223921OC1

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? P3223925OC3
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 6:43 pm

While certainly not my first watch, nor even the first time I owned more than one watch, this is the watch that started my collecting. I had wanted one back when they were first introduced but at $1200 that was not a reasonable amount at the time. Then about 6 years ago I happened upon one on eBay from a seller of high end watches (I mean $100k+ watches) that had apparently absorbed this along with other inventory from a defunct jewelry store. Got it for $400 BNIB and it was better than I had hoped. My first auto of my own, my first 7750 too. Still own it too!

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? DSC04701cropped
The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? DSC04679cropped
The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? 9G600-side-web663x608
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 6:58 pm

First "higher end" type: still own it.
The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Tag002

First auto, still own it (except it's currently on vacation in the Fatherland).
The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Breitcroc002
The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Tutimafleiger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 7:09 pm

No photos, alas...but I do still have "the watch..."

The backstory: I bought a new Dodge Nitro in May 2007, and not soon after, was channel-surfing one night and ran across a watch show. Yep. I was Shop, and Slick was at the helm. Never saw it before. All I cared about at the time was that he was hawking a watch that had a dial color damn near the color of my new SUV (which is called something like "Burnt Orange")...anyway, I bought it. The first — and only — multifunction watch I own. An Invicta. Big. Heavy. Damn near gave me a woody. That begat another, then another...until I am as you see me, a pathetic shell of my former self with obsessive-compulsive watch disorder and a whole lot less money than when I started this charade...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 7:40 pm

dont have any pics of the GMT master II (1978/79) bought used in 84 or my first stainless sub (1988)R series, bought used in 94! so got to roll with this one.. 1998/99 U series 16613 Rolex Sub!!Brand new ion jan 29 1999! Be nice doc i've had the hiccups for 20 minutes!!

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? 100_2766

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? 100_2767

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? 100_2583
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 8:00 pm

My juices first started flowing after I saw a Speedie Pro about 40 years ago.

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? 02.477_1
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 8:15 pm

My first REAL watch was the Luminox Quadrum, which I do not have any longer...

...of my original collection, this is one of two that still remain:

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Mesh1

GREAT thread Taz!

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 8:37 pm

cali kid wrote:
dont have any pics of the GMT master II (1978/79) bought used in 84 or my first stainless sub (1988)R series, bought used in 94! so got to roll with this one.. 1998/99 U series 16613 Rolex Sub!!Brand new ion jan 29 1999! Be nice doc i've had the hiccups for 20 minutes!!
The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? 100_2583

Hey, take some advice from a wise old WIS:

Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.
Back to top Go down
jackprime1
Senior Associate
jackprime1

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 8:50 pm

This is the watch that started the madness for me...I have had watches before this one but this was my first really good watch. I still have it and will never sell it..

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Tagheuer-1
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 8:57 pm

Man - hard to say.
I think I've always liked watches but mostly junk till I earned a 10yr service watch at work.
Negotiated them away from what I think was a Lasalle to this Seiko that I'm still looking to replace.
Was like this one only gold (none of these pics are mine)
The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Seiko7t34nt1

Still didn't really know I was a watch guy
My wife gave me a couple Hammy Ventura's as gifts - still have those.
FF 10 yeas later - Got a new job and decided to buy a real watch.
Bought one of these - Still have it
The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? 2258874553_362e699095

Lived with those 3-4 watches for a while till I saw a guy 2 rows in front of me on a plane wearing what I now know to be a Lupah
Scoured LA that same trip and found the Adee Kaye homage version (little did I know)
First time I ever bought 2 watches at once (still have those too)
After discovering SNBC the rest is history.
Similar to this but the chrono versions - actually liked the AK Lupah over the Invicta
The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? 19L1631U
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 9:09 pm

That oceanaut is a cool piece-great way to start Tazman. For me it started with Magnum PI and his Chronosport and Rollie GMT. Never had on but always liked it and made me aware of watches. Always wore a watch G-shock, luminox etc. Actively collecting my first piece was a Sinn U1 about 3 years ago or so.

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Rolli-1
The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Chonosport
The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? U1
pics from net
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 9:21 pm

My Tag 2000 Series automatic....bought new in 2001, I didn't know it at the time but this was the start of it all.......still have it, factory serviced and like new......

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Tagwreck009a

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Cool watch, really like this case   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Docrwm wrote:
While certainly not my first watch, nor even the first time I owned more than one watch, this is the watch that started my collecting. I had wanted one back when they were first introduced but at $1200 that was not a reasonable amount at the time. Then about 6 years ago I happened upon one on eBay from a seller of high end watches (I mean $100k+ watches) that had apparently absorbed this along with other inventory from a defunct jewelry store. Got it for $400 BNIB and it was better than I had hoped. My first auto of my own, my first 7750 too. Still own it too!

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? DSC04701cropped
The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? DSC04679cropped
The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? 9G600-side-web663x608
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 11:51 am

OK, I guess I'm the only one that was bitten by the bug by Invicta. I had worn the same old Carvelle for over 20 years. My new wife decided that I should have a new watch. I couldn't figure out WHY ON EARTH someone would need more than one watch and this baby still worked just fine. Not the prettiest thing in the world but very functional. Anyway to make a long story short...after hours of searching the web, we decided on this awesome Invicta. (and yes, I still have it and LOVE THIS WATCH!) These pics are before I want at her with the scotch-brite and scratch pen. She's much prettier now!

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Watches062

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Watches061

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Watches063
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 3:32 pm

Tag heuer 6000.its long gone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 3:53 pm

. . . Started out far more simple for me. This one started me out on a "thing" for old Timex autos. . .

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? DSCN1670

. . . somewhere down the road, I fell into this . . .

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Rolex042

. . . then I fell into the quartz abyss. Awakened last year, Shop, Geeks . . . blah,blah,blah. I bought this . . .

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? DSCN1525

. . . still fucking clueless. I have pogo'ed all the place.
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 1:01 am

some great pieces guys, i tell ya ever since the first oceanaut ive been hooked and i got it bad. i guess theirs a lot worse things to be addicted to, i just dont know which cost more LOL. THANKS STEVE
Back to top Go down
max
Associate
max

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 1:49 pm

Duff, you are not alone.

I always liked watches but never owned more than 2 or possibly 3 at a time, 1 dress, one everyday and a beater. Then one of the guys on a NON watch forum bought one of these, I liked it and tried one and the madness began.

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? 9937
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 5:50 pm

Duff you know what it is. I did the same gig like you and many more except JTV got my attention with SeaPro and I started watching the watch shows. Never bought one until this at the shop. The rest is a worn out story. This picture were the first two I bought. The one on the right you can't see is the pro diver 43 fishscale dial miyota 8215. The beast was the first then the pro diver.

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? 1115080807a
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:33 am

2 & a half years ago, picked up my first automatic. still have it and it's still getting a ton of wrist time, still loving it!

Invicta Pro Diver diamond 4848
The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? IMG_2553
The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? 4848008
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??   The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Watch That Started It All For Me. What Was Yours??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: General Watch Discussion...-
Jump to: