The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Empty
PostSubject: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 9:14 am

One of the criticisms of the Sumo has been the bezel Font chosen. Some have referred to it as the "NASCAR Font". Obviously I like the Sumo and was relived to find it wears smaller than the #s would indicate but I can't help but admit that the font on the Bezel was my least favorite part of the watch.

Harold Ng has released a Bezel Insert replacement for the Sumo that is more traditional in appearance.

So, what do you think?

(All Pictures borrowed from "Snowback" at SCWF)
Original
New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Sumobezel001

New Yobokies Bezel Insert
New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Sumobezel002

Side-by-Side

New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Sumobezel003

The original thread can be found at:
http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,2060.0.html
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 9:23 am

I am totally not into NASCAR...

...that said, I like the BOLDER bezel better!

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 9:26 am

I found the original post by yobokies

For sale here brand new custom made aluminum bezel insert ring for Seiko Sumo. Made 1:1 from the original with SMALLER fonts. US$29 each shipped.
New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? IMG_8532

Pip with matching Sumo green lume+lens(like the ones used on my 6309 inserts)
New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? IMG_8533

Exact contour as the original:
New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? IMG_8534

Both my custom and stock inserts side-by-side
New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? IMG_8483

New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? IMG_8484

New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? IMG_8485
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 9:27 am

I like the orignial beter...IMO - it fits the design of the watch

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 1:47 pm

. . . I prefer the original. It is one of the better features of the watch IMO . . . .
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 1:57 pm

I am feeling some SUMO-itis...how wide is the bracelet?

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 2:09 pm

. . . Ah, the bracelet. Just my opinion here, but the bracelet is the shortfall of the watch. It is a 20mm I believe, too narrow and light for the watch at any rate. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice bracelet . . . same Seiko earmarks as others . . . but is light.

. . . In fact Sean turned me on to an oyster style replacement with a MM clasp from Seiya that I am looking at seriously. It's either that or an Anvil from Harold.

. . . I'll be interested to see Doc's take on this as well . . .
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 2:21 pm

wagon wrote:
. . . Ah, the bracelet. Just my opinion here, but the bracelet is the shortfall of the watch. It is a 20mm I believe, too narrow and light for the watch at any rate. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice bracelet . . . same Seiko earmarks as others . . . but is light.

. . . In fact Sean turned me on to an oyster style replacement with a MM clasp from Seiya that I am looking at seriously. It's either that or an Anvil from Harold.

. . . I'll be interested to see Doc's take on this as well . . .

yeah, I just dont get a big, honking watch with a 20mm bracelet!!!!!!!

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 2:38 pm

I would prefer a 22mm on this one but like the bracelet otherwise. It's typical of Seiko's mid-range bracelets, uses collar and pins, and solid 1 piece links. I've thought about the Anvil and the one with the MM300 clasp but neither seems as dressy as the one that comes on the Sumo and it is a Dress Diver after all.

If you want a wider bracelet option there are Anvils at 22mm that have 20mm endlinks.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 2:52 pm

Docrwm wrote:
I would prefer a 22mm on this one but like the bracelet otherwise. It's typical of Seiko's mid-range bracelets, uses collar and pins, and solid 1 piece links. I've thought about the Anvil and the one with the MM300 clasp but neither seems as dressy as the one that comes on the Sumo and it is a Dress Diver after all.

If you want a wider bracelet option there are Anvils at 22mm that have 20mm endlinks.

Do any of the Seikos have 24mm bracelets?

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 4:00 pm

looks better on the stock insert and alot of watches look great on 20mm bracelet, they do it for comfort, its kinda tough wearing a 24mm steel bracelet all day unless it tapers down to 22mm. Same reason rolex tapers their bracelet, it makes the watches much easier to wear!!
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Anomaly wrote:
Docrwm wrote:

Yep...I saw a couple of vintage seikos with 24mm tapered bracelets the other day...not sure if you would like the styling, but they exist. I can track them down if you like...may be worth asking a question on the Seiko Citizen forum, those guys will know!

Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 6:22 pm

andrema wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Docrwm wrote:

Yep...I saw a couple of vintage seikos with 24mm tapered bracelets the other day...not sure if you would like the styling, but they exist. I can track them down if you like...may be worth asking a question on the Seiko Citizen forum, those guys will know!

Good Idea!

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 9:22 pm

I honestly do like both bezels. However, I think the original
one, with it's big numbers fits the watch better. It's a BIG,
and bold watch, so it needs some BIG, and bold numbers on
the bezel imho ! New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_smile The other one is fine if you want to tone
it down though !

Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 12:15 am

For this watch, I choose the original. The classic is all around and seen frequently on many divers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 2:15 pm

I like the original, bigger numerals, as someone else said, I think it fits the watch better. I'd New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? 869119 the person that called it "NASCRAP" to me (I HATE that WWE of racing). I highly doubt that was Seiko's inspiration for the design.

With Tissot being the (disappointingly surprising) Official Timekeeper of NASCRAP, I wonder if they'll come out with a NASCRAP bezel. Oh, look... it's a dial.
New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? T-RACE_NASCAR_T90_4_496_82

New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? 288387
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 28, 2010 5:53 pm

porschefan wrote:
I like the original, bigger numerals, as someone else said, I think it fits the watch better. I'd New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? 869119 the person that called it "NASCRAP" to me (I HATE that WWE of racing). I highly doubt that was Seiko's inspiration for the design.

With Tissot being the (disappointingly surprising) Official Timekeeper of NASCRAP, I wonder if they'll come out with a NASCRAP bezel. Oh, look... it's a dial.
New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? T-RACE_NASCAR_T90_4_496_82

New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? 288387

Didn't mean to offend Tim. Just that is what many have called the numerals on the bezel. I thought about the new one with the classic #s but am going to stick with the stock bracelet and bezel, at least for now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?   New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Sumo Bezel Insert - Classic or Nascar?
Page 1 of 1