The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Memorial Day...any former military here?

Go down 
+4
PoliMalaka
AtomicTom
pacifichrono
andrema
8 posters
AuthorMessage
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Memorial Day...any former military here? Empty
PostSubject: Memorial Day...any former military here?   Memorial Day...any former military here? Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 11:31 am

For too many Americans, Memorial Day (also referred to as Decoration Day) means a day off from work with picnics, pool openings and barbecues. But for those who have lost a comrade or loved one in combat, the day takes on a whole different significance. The observance of Memorial Day in the United States in commemoration of those members of the armed forces killed in war.

For those of us that have served in the military (I am retired, with 16 years of service), it represents comrades and like minded individuals who paid the ultimate price for our country. These men and women are true patriots and I hope that you all take the time to think of them this weekend and thank them for all that they have done to make all of these picnics and pool parties possible.

Have a great weekend!!

Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day...any former military here?   Memorial Day...any former military here? Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 12:16 pm

Absolutely!

My close friend and fellow jarhead, Bob Kempkes, paid the ultimate price on September 4, 1967, as our unit was assaulted by NVA at Con Thien. I think about Bob a lot...

Memorial Day...any former military here? Bob_Kempkes_200

Memorial Day...any former military here? Kempkes_Clipping_160

Last edited by pacifichrono on Sun May 30, 2010 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day...any former military here?   Memorial Day...any former military here? Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Thank you, sincerely, for your service guys. Since we don't have a "salute emoticon" please accept this: Memorial Day...any former military here? 803574
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day...any former military here?   Memorial Day...any former military here? Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 12:00 am

VERY well said Mark ! Memorial Day...any former military here? 803574 I DEFINITELY appreciate, and salute our veterans !!!! They are our
TRUE HEROES !!! It is an honor to thank YOU and THANK ALL OF YOU !!! Memorial Day...any former military here? 46145 Memorial Day...any former military here? 46145 Memorial Day...any former military here? 46145 Memorial Day...any former military here? 46145

Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day...any former military here?   Memorial Day...any former military here? Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 12:13 am

I always feel my service pales in comparison to other's.

My brother is currently in Eye-rack. Or is it Ear-rock?

Whatever, I miss him dearly and can't wait for his return. All of the men in my family have worn the uniform.

GO ARMY!
Back to top Go down
jackprime1
Senior Associate
jackprime1

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day...any former military here?   Memorial Day...any former military here? Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 12:53 am

I want to say thank you also to our men and women for serving our country. Both of my Grand fathers served this country in WWII. So god bless our vets and god bless this country.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day...any former military here?   Memorial Day...any former military here? Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 5:43 am

Thanks to all our service men and women, past and present.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day...any former military here?   Memorial Day...any former military here? Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 10:12 am

I always remember a friend that died while trying to stop a fuel leak in the Titan II missile that I was
assigned to as a launch crew member. About 1 month after I got out of the USAF, there was an accident at
missile silo 373rd - 7. My old crew was there at the time and was evacuated due to a massive fuel leak.
10 parts per million, if breathed in will kill you. My friend was on the refueling crew and was there trying to determine some sort of action to take when ( they think ) a pump or fan kicked on automatically and the spark caused the fuel to ignite and explode. My friend was killed instantly. It could have been me.
They actually made a movie of this accident. It is titled Silo 7. I will be thinking of my friend and his family
this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Noisy Nova
Associate
Noisy Nova

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day...any former military here?   Memorial Day...any former military here? Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 10:49 am

Memorial Day...any former military here? DSCF1242
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day...any former military here?   Memorial Day...any former military here? Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 1:02 pm

Thank you today for ALLLLLLL our soldiers that keep our country safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day...any former military here?   Memorial Day...any former military here? Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 1:34 pm

Personally I never had the privilege of serving...

In my day of eligibility (Vietnam), the lottery was used and I cannot deny that thankfully I didn't win that one.
Still, I've always been enamored with the military - the cutting edge tech, camaraderie, and honor.
My dad served in WW2 and used to comfort me with - "Don't worry son, the Army's got some shit for their ass"

But the closest I ever got was the ROTC.
To those that have served - I am deeply humbled by your commitment and sacrifice.
I for one remain extremely grateful and will never take my freedom for granted.
Thank you
--
jaw
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day...any former military here?   Memorial Day...any former military here? Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 3:39 pm

Yes, thanks to all who have served our great nation for the freedoms that Americans enjoy as well as many accross the planet.
Also thanks to all those from other counties who serve like Canada, England, Austrailia and others who have fought with the USA.

I want to thank my dad for his service on the USS Oriskany in the early 60's
Back to top Go down
jackprime1
Senior Associate
jackprime1

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day...any former military here?   Memorial Day...any former military here? Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 4:20 pm

This is my grandfathers metals. He passed away 56 years ago so i never met him. My father was only 2 years old when he passed. My other grand father was in WWII also. Here is a pic of my grand fathers metals that i am so grateful to have.Memorial Day...any former military here? Metals003
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day...any former military here?   Memorial Day...any former military here? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 7:00 am

Every male on my fathers side of the family has been in the service including myself going back at least 4 generations,all were very lucky and never injured. Thanks to all the others out there that have served our wonderful country !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Memorial Day...any former military here?   Memorial Day...any former military here? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Memorial Day...any former military here?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Off Topic - NOTHING to do with a watch...-
Jump to: