The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

One for Mark (andrema)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

One for Mark (andrema) Empty
PostSubject: One for Mark (andrema)   One for Mark (andrema) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 9:31 am

Good Morning.
One for Mark (andrema) Photo-17
iPhone photo
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: One for Mark (andrema)   One for Mark (andrema) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 10:03 am

That dude is a coffee drinker...

...BUT COFFEE IS FOR CLOSERS!

Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: I am a light roast man!!   One for Mark (andrema) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks...I like espresso every once in a while, but need the caffeine kick of light roast coffee to get moving!!!

Here is some info on caffeine levels and coffee types:

Do light or dark roasts have more caffeine?
Iwas recently asked by a Twitter follower “why does dark roast coffee have more caffeine?”.
A lot of people believe that just because the beans were roasted dark and have a burnt taste, that means that the coffee is “stronger” and has more caffeine… but that isn’t exactly the case.
The quick answer is that for the most part, lighter roasts actually have more caffeine than darker roasts. When coffee beans are roasted, the beans undergo a series of physical changes including growing in size, becoming lighter in weight but also burning off some caffeine. The longer the beans are roasted (the darker the beans), in general, the less caffeine they will have solely due to them having more and more caffeine being burned off.

Now, it does get a bit more complicated than that. I mentioned that the longer coffee beans are roasted, the lighter they become (weight loss) so a pound of lightly roasted coffee could potentially have about the same caffeine content as a pound of dark roast (for example, a french roast coffee), simply because it would take more beans of a dark roast (going by weight) to make a pound. But, in general, taking 2 pounds of the exact same coffee – roasting one pound lightly and one dark – and not adding more beans to the darker roast to account for the weight loss due to roasting longer – the lighter roast will usually have more caffeine.

What kind of coffee beans have more caffeine?
In my blog post on Arabica vs. Robusta coffee beans, I noted that Robusta beans have a higher caffeine content than Arabica beans (about twice as much!). The downside, though, is that Robusta beans taste pretty awful. They are used by some roasters in coffee blends, sometimes as filler and sometimes for espresso blends solely due to their caffeine content. Since Arabica beans are associated with higher quality and better taste, Arabica is what you’ll likely find in your neighborhood coffee house or offered by a premium coffee roaster.

Which has more caffeine, espresso or drip brew coffee?
While on the topic of espresso, it’s important to note that, not only do dark roasts generally have less caffeine than light roasts, but espresso also has a lower caffeine content than drip brew! The reason is the length of time that the coffee beans are in contact with water for extraction. With espresso, the coffee may be in contact with water for 25 seconds or so. When making coffee via a drip-brew method, or even in a french press, coffee is in contact with water for a much longer period (up to 4 minutes). The extended time of the coffee being in contact with hot water is what allows more of the caffeine to make its way into your cup.

So the next time you want that caffeine “buzz” think twice before ordering that espresso or dark, french roast… and consider trying a lighter roast drip-brew or french press instead.

PostSubject: Re: One for Mark (andrema)   One for Mark (andrema) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 10:11 am

I knew that stuff (I too, like coffee, (hence the machine) but not quite as much as you, though). I know about espresso, but that, like dark beers, people think because it tastes stronger, it must be stronger, heavier. Most dark beers have fewer calories and most often, less alcohol content.
The thought of "it tastes stronger, so it must have more in it" just isn't correct always.
3 duo's per morning. You can also do "long" out of this one, too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One for Mark (andrema)   One for Mark (andrema) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 11:01 am

The issue of Caffeine is FAR more complex than stated in the previous post. Ran a pain clinic on residency (attendings do NOT run clinics, they head them which is entirely different and involve very little actual work) and we had to ascertain how much caffeine each patient was consuming on a regular basis. We had databases that included different sources for caffeine, including different coffee houses and their various types. I no longer have access to that database but I can tell you that the variability was rather significant across the brands and within the same companies offerings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One for Mark (andrema)   One for Mark (andrema) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 1:32 pm

How Much Caffeine in Starbucks Coffee

One for Mark (andrema) Starbucksdrink
Starbucks is renowned for having some fairly calorie-dense drinks (think of the holiday special Pumpkin Spice Crème at 500 Calories).
However, until recently, caffeine amounts have been somewhat of a mystery. Here is a handy table comparing caffeine for the various drinks.
BeverageCaffeine (mg)
Short
(8 oz)
Tall
(12 oz)
Grande
(16 oz)
Venti
(20-24 oz)
Brewed Coffee
Brewed Decaf Coffee
Caffè Americano
Caffè Latte (also Cinnamon Dolce Latte)
Caffè Mocha (also flavored Mocha's)
Cappucino
Caramel Macchiato
Chocolate Milk
-
Espresso
75 (solo)
150 (doppio)
--
Espresso Macchiato (also Espresso con Panna)
75 (solo)
150 (doppio)
--
Frappuccino Blended Coffee (multiple flavors) -
85-90
110-115
155-160
Frappuccino Light Blended Coffee (multiple flavors) -
70-75
95-100
125-140
Hot Chocolate