The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

educate me about mods

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

educate me about mods Empty
PostSubject: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 8:49 pm

I don't get it. You take a $150-$200 watch and redo it to make it a $400-$500 watch. But it is really still a $200 watch underneath. Is the only reason to have a unique piece? Otherwise I don't get it. For $500 you can get some really nice boutique divers or whatever. Help me understand as I see many guys do this but I'm not getting it.... educate me about mods Icon_question
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 8:53 pm

Spaceview wrote:
I don't get it. You take a $150-$200 watch and redo it to make it a $400-$500 watch. But it is really still a $200 watch underneath. Is the only reason to have a unique piece? Otherwise I don't get it. For $500 you can get some really nice boutique divers or whatever. Help me understand as I see many guys do this but I'm not getting it.... educate me about mods Icon_question

Ever seen a Dodge Dart with a flame paint job and rumble packs? educate me about mods 779569

educate me about mods OMCasebackclosecleanedupeducate me about mods OMonwrist800
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 8:59 pm

Its like Doc said-some people just ain't feelin' the stock look.

educate me about mods DSCF1118

educate me about mods DSCF3153
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 8:59 pm

I have an Orange Monster that I put on mesh. I really don't think that is a mod. Just a strap change from rubber to metal.

educate me about mods 213_141938_570000000
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 9:05 pm

Marc, cant I get away from you anywhere? lol..

A mod is simply that, modifying it to make it better....at least to you.
One of the most common mods is changing the finsish of the watch....bead blasting is very popular, making a finsih on a watch that you would not normally be able to buy stock on that particular watch.

Its taking a case design that you like, but tweaking it to make it more suitable to you, changing the hands, changing the bezel, changing the dial, etc. Some watches are perfect to begin with ....some may not be to some people, some may just want to experiment. I for one have seen alot of mods, where they made the watch alot better than the original. I have also seen mods where they kinda ruined the look of the watch, to where it doesnt even resemble the watch it was. It all depends. Yet just another thing in this hobby to keep us interested, and just like anything else, for some its great, for others , not so much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 9:16 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Marc, cant I get away from you anywhere? lol..

A mod is simply that, modifying it to make it better....at least to you.
One of the most common mods is changing the finsish of the watch....bead blasting is very popular, making a finsih on a watch that you would not normally be able to buy stock on that particular watch.

Its taking a case design that you like, but tweaking it to make it more suitable to you, changing the hands, changing the bezel, changing the dial, etc. Some watches are perfect to begin with ....some may not be to some people, some may just want to experiment. I for one have seen alot of mods, where they made the watch alot better than the original. I have also seen mods where they kinda ruined the look of the watch, to where it doesnt even resemble the watch it was. It all depends. Yet just another thing in this hobby to keep us interested, and just like anything else, for some its great, for others , not so much.

OK, then why not go to one of those companies that build watches from scratch to your specs? Doesn't that get you to the same place?

http://www.dwatch.net/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Because that is not a complete custom from the ground up watch..............its one case design that you can choose the finsih, hands, dial, etc from a various amount of options......thats great if you like that case design.

The point is, its another way to have fun with this hobby. I desperatley want to get a watch bead blasted, because i like the look of it. The watch I want to do it to, doesnt come in an option to buy it like that. What If I want a Martathon JSAR beadblasted and swap out the quartz movement for an eta movement, and put in sword hands ? Now I got a watch, that still resemlbes the jsar, but tweaked it , to be more suitable for what I like. Have you ever put racing stripes on a car? ground effects? tinted windows? added a steering wheel cover to your steering wheel? Have you ever painted your house , inside or out, not because it needed to be, but just because you wanted a change? Same thing really. It might not necessarily add value to the watch, in some cases it does, ....but for the most part, its taking something and changing it to a different look. I see nothing wrong with it.
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Dwatch models go for about $1000-1200 depending on options. They also tend to languish on the sales forums, I don't think many people are willing to pay very much for a custom watch. If you buy the parts and do the work yourself-modding is relatively inexpensive. You can buy dials and hands for as little as $5-10. Bead blasting is free if you have a blast cabinet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 9:44 pm

My Noah mod cost about the same has I paid for my stock Seiko, which was waaaay less than sticker. So for me, it was mainly to get a piece, that was different than every one elses at a decent price.
Back to top Go down
TVDinner
Senior Associate
TVDinner

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:20 pm

It is a way to make a watch original and/or different then the stock set up. I am not personally a big fan of the modded Seikos but I understand some people's like and desire to have them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 11:00 pm

merichar wrote:
Its like Doc said-some people just ain't feelin' the stock look.

educate me about mods DSCF3153

Damn, I keep telling you boys not to put photos of my ride up!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 1:52 am

I've modded many and know the value has been lost but just wanted something different that I built, think alot of times they look much better! Dial, handset even movements. For me it's about bringing a piece that your not using and making it better even though it might take a hit in the resale market but I'm not going to do it to any high end pieces!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 3:37 am

. . . Seiko's seem to be the brand of popularity for modding. I like my Monster, but the Yobokie mod I own is a totally different animal. Harold turned it into a completely new look. It is one watch that does get noticed.

educate me about mods IMG_0448

educate me about mods IMG_0011

educate me about mods IMG_0032
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 9:56 am

I like that mod Randy.

I tend to agree with the majority here! I bought a mod from Harold and really liked it. The cost was less than $300 and it had all new components that I picked out. I will do it again...well, unless Doc sells me his Black Monster PVD mod! educate me about mods Icon_biggrin

The watch started out as a SKX007 and it was modified to include:

Yobokies black dial, white pilot hands, red/orange second hand, aluminum chapter ring, rubber Z22 strap (Harold also gave me a back NATO) and a clear caseback. I decided to keep the case and bezel stock for now.

Here are some pictures:

educate me about mods DSC07060
educate me about mods DSC07058
educate me about mods DSC07055

educate me about mods DSC07054

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 11:14 am

For me the enjoyment of modding was the process; taking the watch apart and putting it back together into something different...and it still works! Is it cost effective, no not at all, but its fun and rewarding to go from this:
educate me about mods 004

to this:
educate me about mods Silvermod1
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 11:19 am

Love that dial and bezel Chris! Great Job!!

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 3:49 am

. . . whoa. that silver dial is great! Where did the bracelet come from ???
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 8:48 am

That SOXA ROCKS!

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 8:17 pm

I don't know how to modify a watch Spaceview, and haven't purchased
a modded watch yet, but I guess it's basically another cool way to enjoy
this hobby ! educate me about mods 803574 Kind of like having a stock car, and then adding either
performance parts, or customizing the looks to make it more unique like
you said. In the end you are going to have a watch that not many other
people, (if any at all), have ! educate me about mods Icon_smile ..Plus if they happen to end up looking
anything like these watches above, that would just be outstanding !!!

PostSubject: Re: educate me about mods   educate me about mods Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

educate me about mods
Page 1 of 1