A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQRegisterLog in

Seiko Question

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Seiko Question Empty
PostSubject: Seiko Question   Seiko Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 8:47 am

A person I know posted his watch of the day in another forum and it was a Seiko 200m Diver. What struck me funny was he said " Malaysian Movement ".
What is he saying, is there something special we should now about this particular Seiko.
Back to top Go down

Seiko Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seiko Question   Seiko Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 8:59 am

I thought that interesting as well; I Googled and found other posts in other forums stating that Seiko manufactures in Malaysia and other counties for the non-Japanese market. I'm sure Doc will have some more precise info tho.
Back to top Go down

Seiko Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seiko Question   Seiko Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 9:03 am

cski wrote:
I thought that interesting as well; I Googled and found other posts in other forums stating that Seiko manufactures in Malaysia and other counties for the non-Japanese market. I'm sure Doc will have some more precise info tho.

I was going to PM Doc but I figured it would make for a good discussion.
Back to top Go down

Seiko Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seiko Question   Seiko Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 9:14 am

Good observation and question.

Japanese law is very particular about certain things. Basically if a factory is Japanese owned, designed, built, and operated directly under Japanese supervision then all products made in that factory are Japanese Domestic Products.

However, the Japanese know that other countries have silly views on such things. So, the movements made in Malaysia have to be marked as such for entry into the US and a few other countries.

From what I can tell around the net, all 7s movements are made outside Japan proper.
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Seiko Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seiko Question   Seiko Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 9:28 am

My understanding is that the 7s26 movement is being made in Malaysia and/or Singapore for the non-JDM. There is some disagreement about the models marked "Japan" since most of the evidence points to all recent 7S26 mvt. divers being produced in Singapore and now, Malasia. This is probably due to differing regulations on country of origin markings, ie, some countries would allow "Japan" because Seiko is a Japanese company, while other nations (like the US) demand country of production markings, and some nothing at all.

According to Quartzimoto Time Journal -- http://quartzimodo.com/7s26/seiko-skxa35-divers-200m-review/

The U.S.’ Federal Trade Commission also has very strict labeling requirements for imported goods which explains that on every SKXA35 (or SKX173 for that matter), you’ll see the "Mov’t Singapore" or "Mov’t Malaysia" on the dial and caseback.

Here’s how to decipher the codes for the 7s26-002x divers:

Caseback code (last digit)Where the movement assembly is madeWhere the watch is cased (final assembly)Example Seiko models
0Malaysia or SingaporeChinaSKX007K
0JapanJapanSKX011J
9SingaporeChinaSKXA35, SKX173
8MalaysiaChinaSKXA35, SKX173

Contrary to popular belief, the SKXA35 and SKX173s are not made in Singapore or Malaysia. Only their automatic movements are assembled in these two neighboring South East Asian countries. The completed movements are then shipped to Seiko’s plant in Hong Kong (China) for the final assembly and encasement.
The indicated country on the dial and watch caseback (e.g. "Mov’t Singapore") just denotes the country where the movement was made, not where the watch was cased and shipped from.
Seiko had been producing 7s-caliber movements at its Singapore production facility since the mid 1980s. It wasn’t until late 2006 when it shifted production to Malaysia, presumably to reduce labor costs. The good news is that Malaysia-made movements are of the 7s26B variant, which is reputed to be slightly more accurate than its long-running predecessor, the 7s26A.

Here are two of my Seikos that have these designations on the dial:

SKX135 - Malaysia Mvm't
Seiko Question DSC07863

SNM033 - Singapore Mvm't
SNM033
Seiko Question DSC07797-1

Seiko Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seiko Question   Seiko Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 9:37 am

Docrwm wrote:
Good observation and question.

Japanese law is very particular about certain things. Basically if a factory is Japanese owned, designed, built, and operated directly under Japanese supervision then all products made in that factory are Japanese Domestic Products.

However, the Japanese know that other countries have silly views on such things. So, the movements made in Malaysia have to be marked as such for entry into the US and a few other countries.

From what I can tell around the net, all 7s movements are made outside Japan proper.

Are a lesser or higher quality movement or it doesn't matter. What would make them more accurate .
Back to top Go down

Seiko Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seiko Question   Seiko Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 9:54 am

The new "B" version of the 7s series is supposed to be more accurate out of the box and they are made, as Mark so very completely explained, in Malaysia.

Basically, its Japanese QC and QA with Japanese design both of the parts themselves and the equipment that makes the movements (remember that Seiko factories are among the MOST automated in the world), so to date there is no evidence whatsoever that the country of origin on Seiko watches makes any difference.

Now, for GS models they are made in a specific factory in Japan itself. My understanding is that all the highest end Seiko products are still made in Japan at one of several sites.
Back to top Go down

Seiko Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seiko Question   Seiko Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 10:08 am

Thanks for all the info, it is definitely a interesting subject. I have never know about the distinction or I may have forgotten.

So I have a Seiko that I know is from the far east.

on the case back is has 7S36-02VO AO KY does this tell you anything.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Seiko Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seiko Question   Seiko Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 10:11 am

Great info and answers Doc and Andrema!

Senior Associate
andrema

Seiko Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seiko Question   Seiko Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 10:40 am

7s36 : It's the caliber of the automatic movement found in your watch.
02VO : your watch's case number

Good link --->>> http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/SeikoReferenceNumbers.htm

Last edited by andrema on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Seiko Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seiko Question   Seiko Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 10:42 am

andrema wrote:
02VO : your watch's model number

Mark,

The O2VO is the case # (it can be common across several model #s).
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Seiko Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seiko Question   Seiko Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 10:44 am

Docrwm wrote:
andrema wrote:

Mark,

Yes...typo.

Seiko Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seiko Question   Seiko Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 10:48 am

andrema wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
andrema wrote:

Mark,

Yes...typo.

No worries, your post about how to read the caseback and dial is killer.
Back to top Go down

Seiko Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seiko Question   Seiko Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 10:50 am

andrema wrote:
02VO : your watch's case number

Great Link, Thanks Mark
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Seiko Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seiko Question   Seiko Question Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 3:24 pm

Outstanding question Greg, as well as answers Chris, Doc, and Mark ! Seiko Question 46145
Never knew about this ! Seiko Question Icon_study ..Thanks everyone !

Seiko Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seiko Question   Seiko Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seiko Question
Page 1 of 1