The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The most overhyped watch IMHO

Go down 
+3
PoliMalaka
AtomicTom
sixtysix
7 posters
AuthorMessage

The most overhyped watch IMHO  Empty
PostSubject: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 5:56 pm

Hey yo!
Not a poll this time, been thinking about how Seiko's Marinemaster ALWAYS wins
every "vs" poll on most watch enthusiast forum i visit and i often ponder why.....
1.- People say that it's really in a different class cuz it has a GS 8LR35 movement inside.
Looking at the specs on Chino's site it's a +15/-10 (not impressed really), plus
you can't see the movement. If it had a display back or tighter specs i would praise it also.
2.- People say "It has a monocoque case". Well that is no technological breakthrough, there
are examples of watches from the 60`s and 70's with such cases. You can buy a Citizen BN0000-04H for USD200 if you want a current production monocoque dive watch.
3.- It comes with a stock mineral crystal. Say what you want but it's not sapphire.Some people say "Seiko thinks that a dive watch should come with a mineral xtal cuz it's more shock resistant". So why does Seiko pack sapphires on the GS and the Spring Drive 600m diver? Question .
4.- It looks a lot like a Submariner (to me at least).
5.- The price at Chino's : USD 2,417 Shocked
Ok, before you ban me i can honestly say that IT IS A NICE WATCH, but i wouldn't consider shelling
out more than two grand for a +15/-10 mineral crystaled Seiko. It would be a really cool watch for
USD 1,500 but for that price i would get a Sumo and keep the extra two grand.
What do you think?
The most overhyped watch IMHO  588107 The most overhyped watch IMHO  588107
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 6:39 pm

Nice watch but if its a poll at WUS the Seiko wins everytime! Think the Omega 45mm PO was a close one! Problems with polls is usually the guys posting dont own either piece! I've held the seiko and its a nice watch but to think i would trade my Breitling Seawolf for one...... No!
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 7:08 pm

Agreed, I would not consider owning one for the price.

The most overhyped watch IMHO  Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 7:40 pm

Really interesting topic here Redrum ! ..You make alot of good
points here ! I'll just say that even though I don't have a Seiko
yet, I have heard that they make GREAT watches, and give you
alot for your money. So maybe if it's possible for a Seiko that
cost's around $200-$300 to compete with watches from other
brands that cost say $500-$1000 (just guessing there). The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_smile ..Then
maybe it's possible for a Seiko that costs around $2000 to compete
with watches from other brands that cost much much more than
that ! ..It's honestly pretty fun to think about imho. I wish a watch
like this Marinemaster would cost less too, but then again I wish
ALOT of watches from a bunch of brands would cost less ! The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_cheers

PostSubject: Re: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 8:38 pm

To each there own. I even understand that there are people who like Rolex watches, go figure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 10:18 pm

Docrwm wrote:
To each there own. I even understand that there are people who like Rolex watches, go figure.

lol! +1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 1:36 am

That's a big Sinn from you two!
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 8:43 am

I don't see the big deal with the Marine Master. Nice watch but a touch boring in my opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 9:12 am

cali kid wrote:
That's a big Sinn from you two!

Trev!! You are alive! cheers
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 10:39 am

How about a picture? Believe it or not many people have no idea what this MarineMaster looks like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 11:59 am

merichar wrote:
How about a picture? Believe it or not many people have no idea what this MarineMaster looks like.
The most overhyped watch IMHO  61163
Back to top Go down
ramirez1970
Associate
ramirez1970

PostSubject: Re: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 16, 2010 10:48 am

The most overhyped watch IMHO  Mm1

I'm not sure the MM lives up to the hype. However, I've never seen one "in the flesh" so really can't comment. I was pretty disappointed by the Sumo, though. Decent watch with a decent movement but the mineral crystal and "flimsy" feeling bracelet left me cold.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 10:05 pm

Good topic.

Well... I have one and actually the first time I opened the box I went Mmmm.. not that big. Then I wondered If I'd keep or flip.
Got it on my wrist and did feel good. Still was not sure.
after a few days went in the watch box. Took me 2 or 3 wear to actually bond. Now , over a year later lots of watches came and left but the MM is still here. Actually I got it on tonight after about a month in the box. Is it over hyped? Maybe. Does it feel top quality ? Sure does. Very hard to put down after a day or two on the wrist.
Personnaly at full retail ... kinda pricey but used ? Its a yes for me.
I don't have a Omega but would love one. Breitling ? Nah.

Now I'm wondering. Should I go for a GS GMT spring drive or an Omega ? Both I would get used. Witch one would last me the longest without any care or maintenance? And would stay nice the longest??

Hey how about a few pics of the MM

The most overhyped watch IMHO  MMjuil2010001

The most overhyped watch IMHO  MMetplus10janv030

The most overhyped watch IMHO  MM11Janv

Later,
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitimeSun May 22, 2011 5:19 pm

Hey, hey, Jeje is here hehehe!
Well, I have never committed to the MM nor the other top Seiko divers....strange...as I have bought Omegas over $1,000usd...go figure!!!! I have even flirted with Rolex but never got one....

Overhyped?? hmm....from what I have read over the years, the MM is one helluva watch.....yet why do I continue to resist??? very strange....
After 2 Omegas X-33s, watches over $2,000usd must REALLY appeal to me. haha! and fit my skinny wrist....X-33s do!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 3:56 pm

meh...

i see nothing special about this Seiko vs other Seiko divers...

Back to top Go down
Mr Rick
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 12:07 pm

I'm sure a case can be made both for and against the Seiko. And I'm sure that just like there are Ford and Chevy men, there are Seiko and Omega men. I'm not solely in either camp, but the Seiko does not excite me. As they say, 'That's what makes horse races.' Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The most overhyped watch IMHO    The most overhyped watch IMHO  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The most overhyped watch IMHO
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Dive Watches-
Jump to: