The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Empty
PostSubject: Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...    Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 5:22 pm

Ok, so I've been out of the loop for some time now and since being back I see more and more of these "Micro Brands". Do me a solid and explain the craze for me would ya... Pics and some history and how/why/where/who answers in essay format get extra points (I will not let spelling count against you Wink )

That was a joke of course... the cliff notes version will be fine!

Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...    Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 pm

Micro Brands offer "what appears" to be a solidly built watch, parts USUALLY manufactured by another company, for less money than say the BIGGER names.

Let's look at a few:

My Ocean 7, LM -7:

Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Newmontage

A good looking watch, gives you that PLOPROF look at about 1/6 the cost. Some forum searching will show you however that while the watch looks good and runs VERY accurately, the BEZEL has issues (as does mine), the famous "58 click bezel..." I deal with it because I LOVE the look of the watch...

Now let's look at Steinhart, another MICRO BRAND. At some point in time they were part of DeBaufre or vice-versa and are now a seperate company, they both still seem to share watch case manufacturers.

I recently had this model, the Aviation GMT:

Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  DSCN9220

As you can see, the GMT hand was about 30 minutes off when the watch was DEAD ON any hour. I sent the watch back to have this corrected and it came back to me like this:

Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  LintA

Lint UNDER the diall! Two strikes and you are OUT! Thankfully they refunded my $530 with no problem...

Now there is a great debate about the HOMAGE watches that many micro brands put out...

Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Attachment

Zixen's OMEGA homage...

Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  HELSON+Sharkmaster+03

Helson's OMEGA Homage....

MANY of the microbrands are buying cases, dials, hands, even movements from the same manufacturers and just putting THEIR LOGO on the watch...

Other Micro Brands include:

Lum-tec, borrowing heavy from Panerai:

Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  M6web1

Start noticing similarities now:

Wilson watch works:

Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Wilson+2000m+00

Deep Blue:

Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Stanley-master2000_3410-B

Halios Blue Ring:

Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  6r15-halios-bluering

Artego Watch:

Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  ATG_IMG01

And it goes on and on and on...

All this said, I am looking at a Zenton, Heslon, and Lum-Tec watch as we speak.

Due to issues I have had with my last two watches, I am contacting them PRIOR to ordering and saying I want the watch inspected before sent out for proper hand alignment and dust under the dial...

I am sure others will weigh in on this as well...

PostSubject: Re: Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...    Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 6:09 pm

I think what is happening is the opportunity to assemble a watch fairly inexpensively with a vast array of available watch parts that are widely available. To some extent, some brands can and do have custom designs.

Due to this vast variety, brands can create their own identity and niche within the watch industry, mostly in the dive watch segment.

Reasonably good F/F and specs have drawn in those seeking something that isn't seen every day at a decent price far below the mainstream brands.

Either you are "into" them or you prefer the usual brands. I fall into the latter group.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...    Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 6:20 pm

I like alot of micro brands but cant seem to keep them for very long? scratch So i'm with Dan and prefer the name brands but there are some great pieces to be found in the micro brands as well as some junk! One nice aspect is in most cases the owner is only a phone call away!
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...    Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 6:24 pm

I am on the list for a first edition SAS LE, definitely a micro...but it is/was an original design (until Crux took the case). Still a pretty fly watch.

Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Holdingpage

Other than that, I am in the same boat as Trevor. Not willing to bite for something that I will probably not keep...but that can change by the day Very Happy

Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...    Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 6:30 pm

Anomaly wrote:

Have you considered Magrette?
Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Mp-pvd

Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...    Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 6:31 pm

andrema wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

Have you considered Magrette?
Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Mp-pvd

They are cool, like the DLC, but sold out and no date, I have to have a date on a watch I have discovered...

PostSubject: Re: Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...    Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 7:16 pm

Great info and some nice watches... i appreciate the the insight. The main reason I posted the question was exactly what was touched on, the similarity of a lot of cases, although different dial/hand/bracelet combos, just with different names on the dials. There are a few I like the look of... but am I willing to spend $500+ on a micro brand?, that's the question.

On the other hand I notice the homage pieces are for some reason accepted and not bashed as is so often the case (hell I remember how much blah blah i used to get with my MarinaMilitares from WIS). Of course I never took notice because I couldn't give a s*** what anybody thinks when I'm wear'n what I want to wear. Strange isn't it how when the "in" crowd likes something it's ok but when they don't you should feel ashamed... makes me laugh!

btw: Alan, it's a shame about the lint... but "lint happens" buddy. Of course having said that, I'm a virgo too and i would have done the same thing Wink Oh... I really like the Ocean 7, but sadly it's too expensive for me to only wind up with a homage. Ploprof will be mine one day!

Thanks everyone for the info!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...    Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 7:29 pm

Orologio wrote:
Great info and some nice watches... i appreciate the the insight. The main reason I posted the question was exactly what was touched on, the similarity of a lot of cases, although different dial/hand/bracelet combos, just with different names on the dials. There are a few I like the look of... but am I willing to spend $500+ on a micro brand?, that's the question.

On the other hand I notice the homage pieces are for some reason accepted and not bashed as is so often the case (hell I remember how much blah blah i used to get with my MarinaMilitares from WIS). Of course I never took notice because I couldn't give a s*** what anybody thinks when I'm wear'n what I want to wear. Strange isn't it how when the "in" crowd likes something it's ok but when they don't you should feel ashamed... makes me laugh!

btw: Alan, it's a shame about the lint... but "lint happens" buddy. Of course having said that, I'm a virgo too and i would have done the same thing Wink Oh... I really like the Ocean 7, but sadly it's too expensive for me to only wind up with a homage. Ploprof will be mine one day!

I'm a Virgo too G! September 19th!

PostSubject: Re: Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...    Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 10:16 pm

Anomaly wrote:
Orologio wrote:

I'm a Virgo too G! September 19th!

I know buddy, it's the little things i never forget, you are (only Wink ) 10 years & 364 days older!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...    Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 1:59 am

I think this is a great topic Guy ! cheers ..Seems like everyone has basically
hit this one out of the park already. Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  803574 ..I'll just add that I haven't owned
a "micro brand" watch as of yet, but would like to own some in the future.
Guess the craze could come from people wanting a few things from the various
micro brands. Maybe they want a watch that not many have. So as a result
they might go for a watch that doesn't have a big name on the dial. Maybe
it's the unique factor that is attractive for some. Another thing is how often
times people might want a particular watch movement, or watch style that
can often cost more from the larger watch brands. A micro brand allows them
to get what they want for less. Yet one more reason for liking the micro brands
could be that they often offer quality. Perhaps quality in the build, or even in
the designs is what can also attract people who enjoy watches to these smaller
brands. I'm honestly just guessing here about all of this, but it's extremely
interesting Guy !

Here are a few more micro brands which you most likely already know about
sir ! Smile ..

http://www.kremkewatches.com/

Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  IMG_1wus
From..http://oceanictime.blogspot.com/2008/11/subzilla-1000-meters.html

http://www.serketwatchcompany.com/home
Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  SerketBlue-1
from..http://www.azfinetime.com/Serket

http://www.boschett-timepieces.com/
Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  BCD+01_resize
From..http://oceanictime.blogspot.com/2010/01/boschette-cave-dweller-review.html

PostSubject: Re: Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...    Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Explain the "Micro Brand" Craze...
Page 1 of 1