A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock

Go down 
AuthorMessage

One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock Empty
PostSubject: One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock   One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 10:00 pm

This guy came in a couple of weeks ago and I got it for some 'outdoorsy' activities, namely fishing. It's a JDM version of the Riseman in vintage colors, model GW-9200CDJ-8JF and IIRC was a semi-limited edition in Japan (whatever that really means) that was released a couple of years back. TBH, I haven't found too many G-Shocks that I deemed 'pretty' enough to pull the trigger on but as this came up on the bay as a BIN, I rolled the dice. It came via EMS with all docs and boxes.

One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock 1011-IMG_1770-1ks8

Surprisingly I found this G-Shock to be a perfect fit for me functionally and stylistically, as far as these digital watches go. I dig the metrosexual-esque Silly Putty light gray color scheme that gives off a nice marine aquatic G-Shock vibe and the faux Star Wars: The Clone Wars type of styling cues that verges on garb fashioned for Imperial Stormtroopers running the offensive to take out the rebels on Hoth in Episode V. Not too big like my Frogman and not too small like a Baby-G which I wore for a number of years before the WIS-fixation took over. I have not gone thru to learning all the complications yet - that manual looks kind of intimidating- but will put some of the functions to good usage soon enough. So far I can see myself putting the multi alarms to good use right away. Between the barometer indicator with the Multi-band 6 feature on this Riseman and the chart App I just got on the iPad (Tidegraph HD) I should be good to go for a fun weekend of angling for bass and catfish this Thanksgiving weekend up in the California Delta with good timing - right after a storm, near full moon, high tide right after we serve up the turkey - can't ask for much better.

One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock 1011-IMG_1777-1ks8

Some peeps on the forums have questioned the coloration of the vintage colors GW-9200CDJ-8JF if it was off white or light gray or had a beige-like hue as pics seem to cast a tint that was hard to discern over varying computer monitors, so I had an idea. I whipped out a Pantone Color Guide we had hanging around and decided to match it up to a close approximation. Note that this is a Pantone book for matching ink on coated paper stock versus pigments Casio used in making the resin, and that Pantones are not often used in Asia whereas Dai-Nippon or Toyo inks are infrequently used in the US so this is totally ballpark, and I also didn't have access to a calibrated viewing booth, but under warm office fluorescents it comes close to either a PMS 420 or 421 depending on ambient lighting conditions.

One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock 1011-IMG_1796-1ks8

One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock 1011-IMG_1794-1ks8

Size-wise it compares favorably to the Omega 176.007 I had on when it arrived. Again, IMO not too big and not too small. If anything the lack of 'weight' after prolonged wearing of mechanical watches on bracelets felt liberating as if I strapped on something filled with helium. Guessing if I had to weigh this it would come out to easily less than half the weight of the 176.007.

One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock 1011-IMG_1790-1ks8

One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock 1011-IMG_1805-1ks8

If I catch a lunker this weekend I'll have my new Riseman to thank for it... Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock   One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 10:34 pm

Nice snag! The gray is very "undercover" and should hide you well from the fishes. cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock   One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 10:38 pm

Love those LE Japanese models and loved wakeboarding in the Delta out of Discovery Bay and boardstock in Stockton when i was a little younger, but i love that Omega the most!!! One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock 812159
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock   One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 10:44 pm

Cool!!

One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock   One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 11:39 pm

Kick ass Omega man!! I'm an Omega fanboy and that piece is beautiful!!!

BTW - that g-shock is a cool version too! That gray is very subtle!!

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock   One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 12:14 am

This is a SPECTACULAR looking G-Shock Waruilewi ! One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock 803574 One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock 803574 This
one looks like it's ready for fishing, as well as any and all outdoor
activities you can throw at it sir. Thanks for telling us all about
this particular version of the watch by the way, and thanks also
for such a detailed review TOO ! One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock 46145 It really shows how COOL,
along with how addictive these watches can evidently be. Great
stuff !!! ..Can see that this one must be fun to wear on the wrist,
not only comfort wise, but just the way it looks so stealthy, and
has all of those AMAZING features. Have to say, that the gray is
just TOO GOOD on this G-shock Waruilewi ! Almost has that feel
of a raw titanium, or even a bead blasted finish might look on another
watch. It's REALLY different imho !!! ..Also helps show off many of the
various shapes, angles, nooks and writing on the watch. I especially
like the cylindrical areas at 3, and 9 o'clock marked "Sensor", and "Alti" !
Plus the look of the armor, along with that gray color really DOES look
like something straight off of an Imperial Stormtrooper of some kind ! One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock 10534
Definitely would be able to resist the elements on Hoth or any other planet
for that matter ! cheers Add in the different functions that you can learn
about with this one, and you can really have some fun also. All of the
different settings, alarms, and abilities seem MOST impressive ! ..Those
bass along with catfish are going to have their work cut out for them
with this watch, that's for sure. ..Getting back to the color for a second.
It's neat how you compared the G-Shock to those color guides there. What
a cool idea sir ! ..Can even notice the gray of the dispaly more as a result !!!
..Even the black backing shows up more, and there seems to be a silver/blue
accent around the dial, especially near the one circular sub-dial. Pretty
AWESOME right there ! This watch has ALOT to like about it by the looks of
it. Comparing it in size, and weight to your Omega was also another nice
idea. Just seeing the two together is fun enough, but it's something seeing
the different ways, in which very different watches can be enjoyed ! Smile
..Thanks, and Congrats on your new G-Shock ! ..I hope you ENJOY it VERY
MUCH !!!

Shockingly GOOD watch, pictures and review ! ..Have a really great Thanksgiving
too by the way !!!

Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock   One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 12:19 am

Very cool G !

Like the color...ENJOY!

Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock   One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 12:50 am

congrats on your new G, great color!! enjoy. steve
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock   One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 10:21 pm

Thanks for your kind words, gents. Strapping on a G-Shock again is liberating in some ways - not like I plan on doing anything crazy with one on the wrist but not having to pamper something more fragile is something I could get used to.

The fish weren't biting over Thanksgiving weekend (water was too cold, think they were hunkering down - I know we were) so I grabbed some shots of it in the fading light.

Re: LVT = Note how the two-toned case back is done up in a blackish-blue hue, since you was wondering.

One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock 1011-IMG_1928-1k

One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock 1011-IMG_1931-1k

One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock 1011-IMG_1939-1k
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock   One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 11:32 pm

Definitely understanding how nice it must be to not have to worry about knocking
around or scratching up one of your nicer watches Waruilewi ! ..These G-Shocks
get more and more intriguing every day. Smile ..Sorry you didn't catch any fish, but
it still sounds like you had a very very nice Thanksgiving ! ..By the way, your pics
are TOO GOOD, and the blackish-blue hue is a neat touch there. Kind of plays off
of the darker parts of the dial, while contrasting with the rest of the watch at the
same time ! One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock 803574

Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock   One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 11:37 pm

congratulations on the new G!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock   One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 5:08 am

Nice color on the Riseman, been debating on the atomic/solar version or just the plain battery one of that model. Very nice One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock 803574 .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock   One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One from the mailbox - and it's a G-Shock
Page 1 of 1