The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?

Go down 
+4
Anomaly
andrema
sixtysix
TAZMAN64
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 2:10 am

Can you suggest the best watches I should consider in the $1,000 range
give or take a few $100. I liked the look of Lum-Tecs and Xetum, both new manufacturers.
I must admit I am new to buying watches, and I don't know what to look for.

I also see you guys are straightforward - while the internet is filled with sites
from people who are really salesman for the makers.

Thanks a lot
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 4:20 am

hey cooks, welcome to xmt's!!! lum-tec is a good brand and i have heard nothing but good things about them. a little more info would be nice, such as quartz or auto, case size and style that you like. the best thing i could tell you is go to watchuseek.com and look at the used watches and find what you like, then ask what we think of that specific watch. i hope this helps. steve
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 6:47 am

If you are thinking automatic (and I would be for $1000), for around $600 - $1100 new, I like the Oris Divers and other models....authenticwatches.com has a lot of the diver range for $995, and overstock.com has a full lume dial version for around $1000. Oris makes great stuff in this range. Prices were over Thanksgiving when I was looking.

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 10:41 am

If you are willing to save/spend a little more, you have a couple of cool options -- all preowned.

Sinn U1 - these can be picked up around $1000. This IMO is one of the great dive watches out there! There are plenty of these out on the market and owned here!

Doxa 1000 or 1200T. These are classic dive watches that are definitely different than most everything you find out in the market. The 1000 series can be found around 1000 - 1100 and the 1200 can be found around $1200 to $1400. They are almost identical, with a few improvements on the newer model (1200T). I plan on buying a 1200T within the year.

Omega Seamaster Professional - I love mine. It is at home in a casual as well as a business environment. In fact, I am wearing mine at the office today...awesome brand, awesome watch. These go for $1200 to $1400...worth every penny! Here is a photo of mine:

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? DSC08491

Stowa Seatime or Prodiver - Great German watch company! These divers are unlike any out on the market. Great size and awesome value. I own the Seatime and would say that the quality compares up there with the the other "high end" watches. The Seatime can be purchased for around $650 and the Prodiver around $950. Love mine!!

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? DSC08322-1

There are TONS of Seiko divers out there for well under $1000. It all depends on what you like. A couple good examples are the Sumo and the Samurai. Both are great quality!

Another option is the Orient Star 300m saturation diver. These can be purchased NEW for around $900 (with discount/coupon) -- of course, a lot less used. Here is an example:

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? __OSorange

One of my current favorites is the Fuller Watch/10 Watches (XW) Tsunami. It is made by one of our members (Noah) and is great quality. These can be purchased for around $700 new. Here is mine:

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? DSC07694-1

I can go on and on with great examples. What it comes down to is personal taste and what you like...give us some more insight and we can certainly steer you in the right direction...we are a bunch on enablers!!!!

cheers cheers

Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 10:52 am

Welcome to XMT Cooks!

Some great suggestions so far, you might also check out Hamilton.

Another good site to buy watches is www.watchuseek.com, in their sales section. Just always make sure you check out the seller, get good feedback, do your due diligence...

Let us know if you have any questions, LOTS of experienced collectors and buyers here!

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 11:40 am

Wow- Thanks- Ok here's what I am looking for. I like larger cases, as seems to be more common these days. I like sparse faces with classic looks -simplicity, really- I would tend to be wearing this out at night, but it would be great if I could wear it all day even if I'm not dressed up. I like automatic I think more, Swiss movement.

Here's a few that appealed to me so far
Xetum Tyndale and Stinson

Lum-Tec Tungsten M25 and up

Mondaine Retro Automatic
http://www.mondaine.com/mondaine-watches/display/177

A few questions:
1. Is it too much to think I might buy something from a smaller, new maker that might appreciate or at least hold some of its value over time? I've read on here that paying around a 1000 and a little more is too much to pay for these newer makers because they haven't been established yet

2. I've also read that this price point- around $1,000 - is kind of tricky because most watches from these smaller makers are really worth 500-700 and some tend to jack up the price because initial buyers
might not know the ropes. The theory goes that at this price point you're better off buying a pre-owned established brand.

3. I would pay a little more if I have to. I just want to get something nice that I'd be happy to own for many years -- even if I were to buy something more expensive in 5 years
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 11:44 am

cooks95 wrote:
Wow- Thanks- Ok here's what I am looking for. I like larger cases, as seems to be more common these days. I like sparse faces with classic looks -simplicity, really- I would tend to be wearing this out at night, but it would be great if I could wear it all day even if I'm not dressed up. I like automatic I think more, Swiss movement.

Here's a few that appealed to me so far
Xetum Tyndale and Stinson

Lum-Tec Tungsten M25 and up

Mondaine Retro Automatic
http://www.mondaine.com/mondaine-watches/display/177

A few questions:
1. Is it too much to think I might buy something from a smaller, new maker that might appreciate or at least hold some of its value over time? I've read on here that paying around a 1000 and a little more is too much to pay for these newer makers because they haven't been established yet

2. I've also read that this price point- around $1,000 - is kind of tricky because most watches from these smaller makers are really worth 500-700 and some tend to jack up the price because initial buyers
might not know the ropes. The theory goes that at this price point you're better off buying a pre-owned established brand.

3. I would pay a little more if I have to. I just want to get something nice that I'd be happy to own for many years -- even if I were to buy something more expensive in 5 years

I have the M25, GREAT watch, great lume, TUNGSTEN!

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? DSCN9340

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? DSCN9344

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? DSCN9350

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 11:49 am

One more thing: If i buy a watch for this price range that has great functionality, swiss movement, keeps time great, great materials- what would I not be getting versus a $5,000 or much more expensive watch?
That is besides gold and jewels, what do the more expensive watches have that one in this price wouldn't?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 11:52 am

Anomaly-That M25 looks very nice-What do you like about it?
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 12:00 pm

cooks95 wrote:
One more thing: If i buy a watch for this price range that has great functionality, swiss movement, keeps time great, great materials- what would I not be getting versus a $5,000 or much more expensive watch?
That is besides gold and jewels, what do the more expensive watches have that one in this price wouldn't?

Dude that is the $4000 question (you know, $5000 - $1000 = well, you get it...)!

At the $5000 price point you are TYPICALLY buying a NAME that others have embraced, watches the usually grace the pages of watch magazines and the like.

I'm not sure if you can get a watch with an IN HOUSE movement for $5k (not new anyway <well Seiko, Citizen, Gshock, etc> ) but that seems to be the BIG draw for spending $5k plus for a watch...

I had the Panerai PAM112, they retail for around $5k but not IN HOUSE movement, no date, no second hand (those were what made me eventually trade the watch off)...

I'm sure others will weigh in on this question...

Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 12:01 pm

cooks95 wrote:
Anomaly-That M25 looks very nice-What do you like about it?

Came with Tungsten Bracelet, Rubber and Leather Strap...
Weighs a TON...
Can't scratch it!
Great Lume...

Chris at Lum-Tec is great to work with!

Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 12:08 pm

The difference is that, for the most part, you are buying some piece of mind. What I mean by that, is that it is almost certain that the "luxury brands" with the watches $5K+ are going to be around for a LONG TIME. These are brands with heritage, structrue, know-how and capital. The smaller brands, may make it ... maybe not!

The $5K watches that you refer to will have higher quality, customized (maybe in-house) movements, proven quality control and solid customer service.

This is by no means meant to be a slam on micro brand watches or mid-range watch brands, just a commenary on the "big boys".

If you want stark, look at some of the German watch companies...they are very utilitarian in design, for the most part.

Sinn is a great brand...don't own one YET Wink

http://www.sinnwatch.com/

Last edited by andrema on Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 1:28 pm

I would lean toward the better known brands even if it meant buying used. Seamaster, Super Ocean, Aquagraph - watches in the $2500-3k range (new) would be a good starting point.

I believe the cost is worthy of what you get especially in the R&D, quality care, etc..

Most of those lesser known brands outsource 100% of their mfg so who knows who is making them. Seems every week there is a new dive brand "surfacing" trying to distinguish itself from the rapidly growing crowd.

As for inhouse movements, you can still geta no date Sub for about $4600 out the door. That might seem like alot but you know what you bought.
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Check out Hamilton. They have fantastic watches with great finishing that are priced in this range.

My personal favorite...

Great on a strap or bracelet.

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? HamiltonJMBlack03

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? 3b80de4c
Back to top Go down
TVDinner
Senior Associate
TVDinner

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 4:51 pm

ALMOST ANY HAMILTON and Oris TT1 divers!!

Hamiton X-Wind - between 700-1000 - automatic with 7750 movement inside (bunch of different color options)

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? 4_231545_430000001

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? 4_051748_140000003

Hamilton Tachymiler - between 600-800 - automatic with 7750 movement inside - (bunch of different color options)

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? 4_121606_560000000

Oris TT1 diver - 47mm automatic - many different color options

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? 4_301805_180000000

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? 4_051746_290000003
Back to top Go down
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 4:53 pm

Sinn
Stowa
Hamilton
Oris
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 10:14 pm

andrema wrote:
If you are willing to save/spend a little more, you have a couple of cool options -- all preowned.

Sinn U1 - these can be picked up around $1000. This IMO is one of the great dive watches out there! There are plenty of these out on the market and owned here!

Doxa 1000 or 1200T. These are classic dive watches that are definitely different than most everything you find out in the market. The 1000 series can be found around 1000 - 1100 and the 1200 can be found around $1200 to $1400. They are almost identical, with a few improvements on the newer model (1200T). I plan on buying a 1200T within the year.

Omega Seamaster Professional - I love mine. It is at home in a casual as well as a business environment. In fact, I am wearing mine at the office today...awesome brand, awesome watch. These go for $1200 to $1400...worth every penny! Here is a photo of mine:

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? DSC08491

Stowa Seatime or Prodiver - Great German watch company! These divers are unlike any out on the market. Great size and awesome value. I own the Seatime and would say that the quality compares up there with the the other "high end" watches. The Seatime can be purchased for around $650 and the Prodiver around $950. Love mine!!

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? DSC08322-1

There are TONS of Seiko divers out there for well under $1000. It all depends on what you like. A couple good examples are the Sumo and the Samurai. Both are great quality!

Another option is the Orient Star 300m saturation diver. These can be purchased NEW for around $900 (with discount/coupon) -- of course, a lot less used. Here is an example:

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? __OSorange

One of my current favorites is the Fuller Watch/10 Watches (XW) Tsunami. It is made by one of our members (Noah) and is great quality. These can be purchased for around $700 new. Here is mine:

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? DSC07694-1

I can go on and on with great examples. What it comes down to is personal taste and what you like...give us some more insight and we can certainly steer you in the right direction...we are a bunch on enablers!!!!

cheers cheers

I'm with Mark and neither of us are snobs but at that coin find something in like new shape and find a brand that will be around for another 50 years!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 12:34 am

GREAT GREAT questions Cooks95 !!! ..Want to welcome you to XMT by the way ! cheers

Also have to say that the Tyndale, and Stinson from Xetum look SPECTACULAR ! ..They
have a vintage meets modern feel about them which is uniquely cool imho. Plus their watches
really don't look like alot of other watches, and they seem well built inside, and out. REALLY
liking those ! ..Same goes for the Lum-Tec's ! ..Can't go wrong with one of their watches
either I don't think. There are alot of different models, with quite a few different movements
in them, and they just seem very cool. Even those Mondaines you showed have a intriguing
theme with the super clean dial, along with simplified overall look. In a way they share alot
of the same super smooth themes of the Xetums ! Smile ..Honestly those are some incredibly
NICE choices.

The same can be said for ALL of the EXCELLENT options that everyone already listed. Even
though I don't have any of these brands. You can't go wrong with these companies here.
From Hamilton to Oris, or Sinn to Stowa, there are COUNTLESS TERRIFIC brands that you
could look into, and enjoy watches from imho. Plus it seems like many of these companies
offer ALOT of watch for around $1000, and at the same time compete with watches from
other companies that cost more.

Here are a few from Oris for example..
Williams F1 Team
Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Movadobaby_2134_684142635
BC3 Sportsman
Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Movadobaby_2131_351655560

Artelier
Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Movadobaby_2136_452960998

Here is a website for you which Sixtysix (Gary) talked about with more..
http://www.authenticwatches.com/oris.html

Here are some Hamiltons also..
Khaki Officer
Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Movadobaby_2132_237745665

Khaki Aviation
Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Movadobaby_2136_415632220

Khaki Navy Frogman
Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Movadobaby_2136_4660756

Khaki Below Zero
Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Movadobaby_2134_485086910

website with many more..
http://www.authenticwatches.com/hamilton-watches.html

Tissot T-Sport Automatic Chrono
Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Movadobaby_2134_95625429

T-Sport Automatic
Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Movadobaby_2134_478222583

T-Sport Automatic
Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Movadobaby_2134_656268108

website..
http://www.authenticwatches.com/tissot.html

Some from Swiss Army Victorinox..
Dive Master 500 Automatic
Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? 241356

Manual winding Ambassador
Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? 241073

Airboss Mach 4
Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? 241381

website with more..
http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/swissarmy.asp

Hope this helps a little Cooks95 ! Smile

P.S. ALL of the brands you, and everyone else mentioned were FANTASTIC already !
..Have FUN looking and learning sir !

Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 12:55 am

Good choices there Tom!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 3:24 am

PoliMalaka wrote:
Good choices there Tom!

Thanks Poli !!! Smile ..Very glad to help out !

Senior Associate
TVDinner

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 3:45 am

AtomicTom wrote:

One of my FAVORITE watches that I don't own yet, but will own someday.....
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 10:51 am

Almost forgot....Marathon Watch Company.

They put out some great watches and they are under your $1000 budget. Here are some photos of one that I owned -- a GSAR (US Government)

Link to company site --->>> http://www.marathonwatch.com/categories/products/watches/

Places to purchase new --->>> http://www.countycomm.com/Watches.htm http://www.broadarrow.net/sale.htm

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? DSC06610-1-2-1
Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? DSC07196
Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? DSC07147

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 4:19 pm

TVDinner wrote:
AtomicTom wrote:

One of my FAVORITE watches that I don't own yet, but will own someday.....

Definitely James !!! Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? 803574 ..The bezel alone makes this one EXTRA special imho ! Very nice
choice for a favorite sir !

AWESOME shots of your Marathon there Mark ! Very Happy ..The one in the snow is TOO GOOD by
the way ! ..Great links as well !

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 11:24 am

What a great thread!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 7:32 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?   Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for Watches to buy around $1,000 range?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: General Watch Discussion...-
Jump to: