The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Please help, advice for a Christmas present.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Empty
PostSubject: Please help, advice for a Christmas present.   Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 9:01 pm

First off, let me start by saying that I don't know much about watches.
My boyfriend has been fascinated by mechanical watches, and I intend to get him one for Christmas.
He doesn't currently own one, but he has some knowledge behind him and always loves to look at him.
I figured it would be a great gift, with only the problem that A: I don't have much money. B: I don't know anything about watches.
He has stressed to me many times not to spend over $40 on anything I get him for Christmas (which I know is nearly impossible for watches), so I resorted to eBay. With all the crappy Chinese knock-offs and my small base of watch knowledge, that is why I am coming to you guys for help.
So I appreciate and send my thanks out to all that read this.
Also, the band quality doesn't matter, he has his own that he prefers.
The goal is to find something that doesn't seem cheap, something someone who knows quite a bit about mechanical watches can enjoy, and not to seem like an idiot. (haha on the last one)
Here are some that I have found, if you guys could give me your opinion it would be much appreciated. Very Happy
Also, he prefers silver over gold anyday.
Watch #1:
Please help, advice for a Christmas present. SKLMTLPlease help, advice for a Christmas present. SKLMTLCUBK1

Watch #2:
This one is a link, the image wouldn't copy right. Seems to cheap to be anything, though. D:
Link to Second Watch
Please click on and look at the link, he loves silver so I was considering this one if it was actually suitable.

Watch #3:
Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Wm096_r3_c1Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Wm096_r5_c1

Watch #4:
Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Wm088_r3_c1Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Wm088_r5_c1

Watch #5:
Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Wm095_r5_c1Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Wm095_r8_c1

Thank you so much for your help, I know these are probably laughable to you guys. Happy Holidays!
Also, if you guys have other suggestions on watches, go ahead and throw them out there! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Please help, advice for a Christmas present.   Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 9:32 pm

Welcome to XMT...so let me get this straight...you need a cool Mechanical or automatic for $40 or less? OK...I see all the ones you posted are skeleton or partial skeleton watches (you can see the innards) does it have to be this way or will a conventional dial with a display back (you can see the works from the rear only) be OK?

Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Please help, advice for a Christmas present.   Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 9:36 pm

sixtysix wrote:
Welcome to XMT...so let me get this straight...you need a cool Mechanical or automatic for $40 or less? OK...I see all the ones you posted are skeleton or partial skeleton watches (you can see the innards) does it have to be this way or will a conventional dial with a display back (you can see the works from the rear only) be OK?
Thank you for the welcome.
It has to be a mechanical, and a skeleton or partial.
He wants it in silver.
Also, I've been nosing around more and have found this, link.
The looks seems like something he'd like, and I would assume that IK COLOURING is just some off shot Chinese brand?
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Please help, advice for a Christmas present.   Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 9:48 pm

I would suggest going on ShopNBC or Stuhrling Original. They have TONS of mechanical/skeleton watches. If swiss made is not a big deal for your boyfriend, then that is probably the way to go...

http://www.shopnbc.com/SearchM/Default.aspx?&prop=Watches|229&prop=Skeletonized|2495

PostSubject: Re: Please help, advice for a Christmas present.   Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 10:06 pm

andrema wrote:
I would suggest going on ShopNBC or Stuhrling Original. They have TONS of mechanical/skeleton watches. If swiss made is not a big deal for your boyfriend, then that is probably the way to go...

http://www.shopnbc.com/SearchM/Default.aspx?&prop=Watches|229&prop=Skeletonized|2495
Thanks for the link. I didn't really find anything on ShopNBC, but I will go check out Stuhrling Original.
I was actually looking at some Stuhrling watches on overstock, and I've found a few he would like.
I feel like he would get mad if I spent that much money, though, but I would rather spend $100 on a decent watch than $30 on a crappy one.
I appreciate it, now I'm kind of stuck between which ones. I'm worried that I will get something that's not his taste.
I'm looking at these, #1, #2, and #3.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Please help, advice for a Christmas present.   Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2010 11:51 pm

Hi Myllamaplushie ! ..Nice to have you here at XMT ! Smile

I think that any of these watches will really be just fine to tell you the truth.
They all look very classy, and are right in that prce range you are looking for !
Watch #3 up top looks both sporty, as well as classy with it's black bezel and
cool skeletonized dial. Also liking watch #4 up top with it's all silver dial, and
Roman Numerals ! ..Both of those are VERY nice !

Have to add that Andrema's suggestion of Stuhrling is perfect too. The Othello,
along with Montague you are showing at the bottom are excellent choices imho.
Honestly any of these watches you showed above will be just fine Myllamaplushie !
The look, and price range is perfect. Please help, advice for a Christmas present. 803574

As a side note, here are a couple more companies and links to look at in the future
if you like..

Akribos watches
http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Watches/Akribos-XXIV,/brand,/292/dept.html
Please help, advice for a Christmas present. P12230132

Please help, advice for a Christmas present. P12631143b

Rougois watches
http://www.longislandwatch.com/Rougois-Watches-1.htm
Please help, advice for a Christmas present. RSO94

Android watches..
http://www.longislandwatch.com/Android_Watches-1.htm
Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Horizon-skeleton-blk

Good luck, and once again, ANY of those watches you already showed
us will be just great !

Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Please help, advice for a Christmas present.   Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 1:59 am

PM sent!

I have an Invicta 9839 that just sits in a box.

Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Invicta-skeleton-watch-9839
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Please help, advice for a Christmas present.   Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 5:44 am

myllamaplushie wrote:
andrema wrote:

Thanks for the link. I didn't really find anything on ShopNBC, but I will go check out Stuhrling Original.
I was actually looking at some Stuhrling watches on overstock, and I've found a few he would like.
I feel like he would get mad if I spent that much money, though, but I would rather spend $100 on a decent watch than $30 on a crappy one.
I appreciate it, now I'm kind of stuck between which ones. I'm worried that I will get something that's not his taste.
I'm looking at these, #1, #2, and #3.

Out of those, I would personally go with number 3.........it is of somewhat better quality then the ones on ebay...is not too much over your budget, you would at least be able to get it repaired or good customer service if something went wrong with it(stuhrling is based out of new york), and it is a classic look in a good size , and a style that could go with anything he wears, casual or dress.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Please help, advice for a Christmas present.   Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 10:03 am

PoliMalaka wrote:
PM sent!

I have an Invicta 9839 that just sits in a box.

Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Invicta-skeleton-watch-9839

Nice gesture Poli!

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Please help, advice for a Christmas present.   Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 4:25 pm

Holy COW Poli ! Very Happy ..What an AWESOME thing to do !!! ..INCREDIBLE !
..AMAZING ! ..TERRIFIC ! ..OUTSTANDING ! Please help, advice for a Christmas present. 46145 ..VERY NICE !!!!

GREAT job sir ! cheers

PostSubject: Re: Please help, advice for a Christmas present.   Please help, advice for a Christmas present. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please help, advice for a Christmas present.
Page 1 of 1