The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero Empty
PostSubject: Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero   Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 12:41 am

I recently received this watch after a series of misfortunes trying to buy a few other watches. I posted here about the ordeal.

https://xtrememeantime.forumotion.com/new-watch-zone-f3/incomingfinally-hamilton-belowzero-t6737.htm#85636

The watch arrived Thursday and I got around to taking a few pictures over the last few nights. I have worn it for the past two days as well.

First off, the presentation was nice but nothing extraordinary. The box about standard with painted black wood. There is a nice silver painted band around the box with the Hamilton name on it.

The watch itself was VERY nice however. The watch is 42mm across but it wears much larger in my opinion. A beautiful silver star burst dial. The case is called a barrel tonneau by Hamilton and it is vaguely shaped like a barrel. A bit more round that most tonneau shaped cases I have seen though. A mix of brushed and polished stainless steel. The hex nut theme is carried throughout the case and strap. A nice touch and something you don't see often. The hours markers are large and legible. A very unique 12 O'clock marker is the 'zero.' Again a play on the name BelowZero I suppose. The crown is nice and big with the Hamilton 'H'. Winding was very smooth and the watch is keeping very accurate time so far. The bezel is also very smooth. Again a unique touch is the lume on the 1-15 minute markers with lume dots on the 5, 10 and 15 minutes. The strap is very nice but a bit stiff and short. It has broken in a bit in the last 2 days. I have to wear it on the second biggest size though. It has a strap on the second floating keeper. It keeps the keeper in place and does not allow it to move up the strap. I hate to cut if off but it may be necessary in my case. The buckle is shaped like an 'H' and dictates the series of two rows of holes in the strap.

This watch is a keeper. Some very unique design cues that you don't see on many other watches. This watch could present a lot of different looks depending on any number of strap changes.

Here are a few of my own pictures. I also added a link to a few more that are at my website if you care to look.

More pics here. http://watchidiotsavants.com/khaki_navy_belowzero.html

Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero Img_3463web

Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero Img_3404web

Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero Img_3408web

Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero Img_3433web

Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero Img_3477webhttps://xtrememeantime.forumotion.com/new-watch-zone-f3/incomingfinally-hamilton-belowzero-t6737.htm#85636
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero   Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 12:49 am

a realy good review with some awesome pics! i would like to see more reviews here with all of the great timepieces that have been picked up as of late. thanks steve
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero   Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 1:02 am

stunning photos.....equally attractive watch!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero   Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 1:05 am

Great pictures man...

...that strap TOTALLY rocks!

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero   Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 2:47 am

Unbelievable watch Hobbit ! Shocked Just UNBELIEVABLE ! cheers Your review of everything about the
Below Zero is ASTOUNDING. You described this watch so well, and honestly made it feel like
we own the watch ourselves. Outstanding stuff sir ! ..I think the main thing about a watch
like this Hamilton here is that it is one of those watches that other companies look to for
inspiration. You know you have a nice watch when the watch you happen to have is the
actual original design that others might imitate. So THAT'S pretty AWESOME right there !!!
This watch has EVERYTHING going for it. Like you said the size of 42mm looks like it wears
BIGGER with the Below Zero. Just seems like that barrel tonneau case, which I just learned
about from YOU,( Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero 46145 ) has so much depth, along with width to it that it jumps off of the
wrist. It genuinely has to be one of the more memorable case designs as of late imho. I enjoy
how the left side of the case is a little straighter, but has that section around 9 o'clock the
pushes outward a little. While the right side has those two sections which bend outward to
become the crown protection. That is a VERY nice feature Hobbit ! ..As are the four corners
that look like backward U's which have those hex nuts in them that you talked about. Can't
say enough how cool that actually is. WOW ! ..Super work there Hamilton ! ..Plus as you also
talked about, the way those hex nuts are used as a theme thoughout the entire watch, including
the strap is very ingenius. Staying with the strap for just a second. Have to add that that color
of leather REALLY compliments the stainless steel of the case amazingly well. WHAT a BEAUTIFUL
combination of the two. I hope it continues to get even more comfortable in time for you sir.
..Getting back to the watch itself, that bezel as you mentioned is really smooth, and that
lumed section between 12, and 3 o'clock is FANTASTIC ! Very Happy The teeth on there are TERRIFIC
as well. Even the little circles all the way around the bezel are a nice touch. Unbelievable
stuff there once again sir. The only thing that can equal this bezel would be the starburst
silver dial you spoke of !!! Just seeing the reflections come off of that are fun enough, but
then seeing the LARGE numbers, along with that "0" up top is that extra distinct feature that
helps this watch become that much more enjoyable. Not to mention original, and unique ! By
the way, always wondered why the "0" was there, and your detective work was tremendous
with figuring the whole Below "Zero" theme Hobbit ! Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero 803574 Just want to add that the crown is
something to see with the "H" on there as well. Just another example of how Hamilton tries
to go the extra mile. It's something small, but still RIDICULOUSLY cool to see if you ask me.
They even managed to put some sharp teeth on there to go along with the ones on the bezel
it seems. Again it's those details that helps take this watch to that next level. Even the lugs
for instance kind of have a double edge look, and I think the part on the very top is supposed
to work as a continuation of the crown protection area on the case. Can't honestly find any
part of this watch not to enjoy. Add to that the whole originality of the watch, and I think
you have a modern day classic here sir. A watch that has the design, looks, along with fit,
and finish to be Timeless !!!!! Congrats on having the BZ sir ! Smile ..That's one to ENJOY !

INCREDIBLE photos here by the way, and your site is EXCELLENT TOO !

Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero   Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 3:40 am

Great review and watch!
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero   Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero Icon_minitimeSun Dec 12, 2010 2:20 pm

Cool review...makes me want one! Great pictures too......yeah I want one!!

Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero   Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mini review of the Hamilton Khaki Navy BelowZero
Page 1 of 1