A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalCalendarGalleryFAQRegisterLog in

Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER

Go down 
AuthorMessage
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER Empty
PostSubject: Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER   Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 3:23 am

So, I ended up buying four different vintage Westclox "Scotty" pocket watches, so I could pool together the best parts
of each. Turns out, the fourth one I bought had it all...looks like it was barely used. That's the one I'm keeping; I'll just
eBay the other three. Each one was only about $15-$35 shipped. This one looks just like the one I bought new in the late
'50s. It's keeping time within 10-12 seconds/day right now. I might try tweaking it more later.

Mrs. pacifichrono bought me this belt carrier/case for Christmas. Here's what it all looks like: Very Happy

Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER WS9_800

Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER WS1_800

Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER WS2_800

Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER WS3_800

Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER WS4_800

Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER WS5_600

Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER WS8_800

Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER   Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 4:37 am

awesome watch!!!! the leather case is perfect. congrats on finding this gem. steve
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER   Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 8:09 am

Looks great Tom. My father gave me the same model gifted to him new by his grandfather in the fifties. Brought it along to show the guys when we last got together.
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER   Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 9:46 am

Wow that looks fantastic!! Where did the holder come from?

Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER   Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 10:40 am

That is UBER cool and it DOES look brand new...WOW!

Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER   Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 1:16 pm

sixtysix wrote:
Wow that looks fantastic!! Where did the holder come from?
It's a Swiss Army case/carrier...off eBay.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER   Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 4:40 pm

What a NICE grand finale to your quest here Tom !!! Very Happy These pocket watches are REALLY
something to see, and I want to thank you for giving us some extra insight into what they
are all about over the last month or so. Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER 46145 Pocket watches are one of the parts of this hobby
that I have always enjoyed, but honestly knew little about. So, I'm glad that you could teach us
about these Westclox Scotties, and were able to find the one you wanted in the end ! ..One of
the things that is VERY interesting about this Scotty, along with the others that you picked up,
is the look of the dial. Many times you see pocket watches from the past that have a very elegant
look, with alot of decoration, and such. These here have easy to see hands, and numbers, that
look FANTASTIC ! ..The LARGE hands, along with the style of them is off the charts imho. They
are like these GIANT swords that swing around to give you the time in a no nonsense way, and it's
just TERRIFIC sir. ..On top of that, the number style here excellent as well. They look plenty classy
enough with all of their style, and detail in them, and they also look like a straight forward match to
those super hands. Seeing this watch in person must be a REAL joy ! Smile ..It looks exceptional just
from your pictures right here, that is for sure !!!! ..Seeing all of the smaller details on the dial like
the sub-dials, and how they look is cool, and so is the various writing on the dial. The way in
which Westclox Scotty is written for instance is yet another nice detail that stands out. Plus I
think they even changed the size of the words a little bit in some of these variations you have
showed us. So THAT'S neat TOO ! Also neat is the cases on these !!!! ..Just like the others you
showed us, this one has that BEAUTIFUL step-like detail on the case. I'm not sure if that was
done very much at the time, but it DEFINITELY is an eye-catching feature on these pocket
watches Tom. ..Another thing to notice, is the all around quality, fit, and finish with these. It
amazes me how affordable they were, and evidently still are to be able to have such an
extremely COOL piece sir ! Cool Also have to mention that this one here REALLY looks to be in
TREMENDOUS shape. You can't see any scratches or anything, anywhere on the case, or
stunning crystal here. ..So, I can see why this one takes first place in it being a keeper for
you. ..Even the crown, and crown areas on these are something to behold, and appreciate
Tom. I know at the time it's something that everyone expected to see and use, but I think it's
such a great part of pocket watches in general. It's a characteristic of a watch that we don't
see a ton of today, so it's incredibly FUN to see imho. ..Same would have to be said for the
eye-popping movements in these Scotties Tom. On the one hand, they have many of the
intricate details, parts, along with decoration, and on the other they look totally different
then much of what we see in watches today. Your pictures give a GREAT feel for just how
nice these movements actually are sir. Can even see all of those unique dimples that are
within the case itself. What a SPECTACULAR part of the watch there TOO ! ..This Westclox
Scotty, is in great shape, looks TERRIFIC, and has history, and a timeless connection to the
past Tom. That CLASSY carrier holder from Mrs. Pacifichrono is a perfect match by the way ! Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER 803574 Congratulations on this final Scottie here, and of course..keep enjoying it !

Timeless watch, along with phenomenal pics !

Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER   Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER Icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 6:53 pm

Love that holder - haven't seen one in years.
Used to see them on Bus Drivers in Chicago.
Always wanted one.
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER   Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 4:16 am

Thanks guys! Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER 74725

Especially you, AtomicTom. I don't know how you find the time to write so many great comments (but I'll certainly accept them!).
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER   Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Just checked the accuracy. Following a timing adjustment 36 hours ago, the past
24 hours are two seconds slow. I guess I can accept that from a watch that sold
for $2.50 brand new! Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER 744742
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER   Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 8:05 pm

pacifichrono wrote:
Thanks guys! Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER 74725

Especially you, AtomicTom. I don't know how you find the time to write so many great comments (but I'll certainly accept them!).

You are welcome Tom ! Smile It's a blast to see these watches, and a REAL honor to have the chance
to talk about them with you, and everyone here !!! ..Enjoy sir !

PostSubject: Re: Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER   Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Westclox "Scotty:" THE FINAL CHAPTER
Page 1 of 1