A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

recommended service intervals

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

recommended service intervals Empty
PostSubject: recommended service intervals   recommended service intervals Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 7:41 pm

i saw this at another site, it has some good info. steve http://home.watchprosite.com/show-nblog.post/ti-432276/
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: recommended service intervals   recommended service intervals Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 8:19 pm

With today's lubricants...

"...if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is my school of thought.

Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: recommended service intervals   recommended service intervals Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 8:53 pm

+1 recommended service intervals 803574

Anomaly wrote:

Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: recommended service intervals   recommended service intervals Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 10:20 pm

smellody wrote:

Anomaly wrote:

so your recommendation is wear it untill it breaks or untill you have problems? dont you think it will cost a lot more to fix then if you had done the service?
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: recommended service intervals   recommended service intervals Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Definitely alot of good information in this article Steve !!! recommended service intervals 803574 I really didn't know
too much about any of this to be honest. Mainly because I still don't have that
many automatics yet. Have heard different opinions on all of this, but this info
here is extremely detailed, and helpful imho. Neat stuff sir ! Thanks for finding,
and posting about this. Really appreciate it !!!

Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: recommended service intervals   recommended service intervals Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 11:04 pm

Steve, it really comes down to so many different factors; how often it is worn, bumped, dropped, on a winder, exposed to water, etc, etc, etc. I've seen 30 year old watches that have never been serviced start up with a couple of winds and keep excellent time. I have an older Hamilton tank case that I got for my wife that is like that. On the other hand, I have seen new watches requiring service with-in 3 years of new.......timing is off, crown problems, etc, etc, etc. I am in the camp with Christopher and Alan. If you start to notice something going on with the watch, consider having someone look at it but, if all is fine I'd let it be.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: recommended service intervals   recommended service intervals Icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 11:52 pm

TAZMAN64 wrote:
smellody wrote:

Anomaly wrote:

so your recommendation is wear it untill it breaks or untill you have problems? dont you think it will cost a lot more to fix then if you had done the service?

I'd wear it until I NOTICED an issue, losing or gaining time...

Otherwise, I'd leave it be...

Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: recommended service intervals   recommended service intervals Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 12:14 am

When I used to wear the same watch everyday (my Rolex Sub date) I had it serviced when it developed its own weather system. The cost of the service was the same regardless if it was broken or not. In this instance they would have had to reseal it up.

Today with way too many watches to my name I would not pay for service unless it was a true go to. . . it would probably just sit in the safe.

Since I usually do not wear the same watch every day, any inaccuracies go unnoticed. . .

I'd probably reconsider this rule if it was my PO or something similiar.

Swimming- I only swim with watches while on warranty. I may be getting to the point that nothing that I own is under warranty so I'll have to select a goto swim watch. I will have a swim watch serviced if it takes on water. . .

OK- enough ramblings from me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: recommended service intervals   recommended service intervals Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 1:17 pm

Anomaly wrote:

+2! We had a 1978 GMT Master in the family from 1983 until 2005 ( the watch i gave my younger brother in 1990) and he offered it back to me for 1500 bones and i kindly said no since i was down with the invicta sickness at the time. He (my dumbass younger brother) ended up selling it to a jeweler friend for the 1500 clams and he put a price on it of 2750.00 and it lasted a few days! Anyway back to the thread i dont think the watch was ever serviced and still ran at close to COSC range when it was sold! Would you expect anything less from a Rolex? When i was cured of invictaitist started researching the watch and the year it was made, alot of thos pieces were selling for over 5 grand, guess i was the dumbass for letting it go and not buying it back when i had the chance! recommended service intervals 252943 PS bought it for 400 bones in 1983!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: sm service protocal   recommended service intervals Icon_minitimeMon Jan 24, 2011 3:06 pm

If you are positive that it has previously received a first class service with modern synthetic lubricants, stiff generally adheres to the benign neglect school - particularly if it is performing well and worn only in rotation.

For continous wear - particularly a vintage piece - with limited parts availability, stiff has a different policy: Periodically inspect the watch for "dry" jewels and autowind components with timing machine analysis and visual inspection. stiff gets a little sick when he sees the unobtainable reversers prematurely worn out or the rubis dust on the escape wheel (or pivot) - on a watch that seemed to the owner, to be running pretty good.

stiff muckler is in da House!
"Have a happy day!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: recommended service intervals   recommended service intervals Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

recommended service intervals
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: General Watch Discussion...-
Jump to: