The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New project completed!

Go down 
+2
barnbuilder
smellody
6 posters
AuthorMessage

New project completed! Empty
PostSubject: New project completed!   New project completed! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 4:49 pm

Whats up folks! Been a bit out of regular touch for a bit, just been busy, maybe a bit burned out on all things horological. I was re inspired by a couple of posts by Ron and others about mods and projects and decided to start a new one.

I've been wanting to do a Hamilton re case for a long time and started doing some looking. I found a lot of great movements and dials; problem is the mismatched configuration of the Hammy movements and dials I was looking at. I wanted something with the sub sec at the 6:00 position...wont work with the movements that are re-caseable with the available case options out there. So here's what I opted for until I decide what to do with a Hamilton 917/921 movement once I get one.

Found a bunch of great vintage pocket watch dials on Ebay in the size I need. I also found that there is an Asian 6498 available with the sub 6. I think it's relatively new, had not seen it before. Has a great vintage look to it, decorated etc.

So here it is; one glitch in the project, I'll explain when it comes up:

Here's the donor case; watch came from Getat, gutted and saved the movement for another future project.

New project completed! Vint1-1

Dial and movement out...new dial to go in, an old Elgin pocket watch movement. I have no idea how old it is, pretty old though:

New project completed! Vint2-1

Definitely a bit of a difference in size. Close, but off by about a mm in diameter. The old dial is solid brass, enameled on the front side so I had to Dremel it down to fit. It is also a bit thicker...had to grind it a bit thinner on the back. Took several trial and errors until I got it to work. Also, holes were off a tiny bit. Some more Dremel work to get them right.

New project completed! Vint4
New project completed! Vint3

On really BIG error...I nicked the front of the dial with the Dremel. Made a trail across the 1 and 2. I was so pissed at myself! The dial was pristine aside from looking old. I kind of like the old worn "wabi-sabi" as the Japanese say I tried to touch it up with paint but that looked worse so I just have to live with my F-up. Here's the dial mounted on the movement:

New project completed! Vint5
New project completed! Vint6

And some final quick shots on a new vintage look buffalo strap:

New project completed! Vint7
New project completed! Vint8
New project completed! Vint9
New project completed! Vint10

A shot of the movement:

New project completed! Vint11

Not too difficult a project, aside from the constant size tweeking; definitely has me itching for another! HUGE thanks to Ron for his info and mentoring; I had a butt load of questions that he helped with. thanks brother!

Last edited by cski on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: New project completed!   New project completed! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 5:23 pm

Looks very nice Chris! Ron is the master, but this looks GREAT!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New project completed!   New project completed! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 5:40 pm

smellody wrote:
Looks very nice Chris! Ron is the master, but this looks GREAT!

Thanks! Yes Ron IS the master...I owe a lot to his tutelage!
Back to top Go down
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: New project completed!   New project completed! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 23, 2011 9:08 pm

sweet! great double sunk dial with cool decoration, nice classic look!

Nice to see the Radiomir case project done and on the wrist Chris, it's a great feeling to wear your own watch build
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: New project completed!   New project completed! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 12:41 am

Chris, this project watch of yours is simply BEAUTIFUL sir ! New project completed! 46145 ..Think it was very very
ingenious to mix the old with the new with this. You get this new modern stealth feel with
the case, but then the vintage dial astonishes with all of it's amazing characteristics, and
color. It's pretty SPECTACULAR, that is for sure !!! Can't imagine being able to do something
like this at all. I mean thinking about it might be one thing, but to be able to first of all
have the knowledge, and then put it all together like this is phenomenal. Seems like
you have a REAL gift here, and that Ron who also has this gift, was really VERY helpful in
making this project come together. Great stuff ! ..Just the way in which you came up
with the idea of using such a NEAT looking case is great. Again it was ingenius, because
the finish is super classy, and stealthy. It also has a shape that further kicks up the elegance
in my opinion. So just starting with the case, you already have the beginning phase of
uniqueness, and excellence Chris. New project completed! 803574 However, when you went with the vintage Elgin dial,
you took this idea, and project to a whole new level imho. Once again, what a TERRIFIC
idea, or plan you came up with. ..Genious ! New project completed! 46145 Not sure what is the BEST part of the
dial to tell the truth. The material looks so durable, and beautiful. By the way, that little
mistake that happened really does add a little more charm, as well as a lived in look
to the watch. So don't worry about that at all, because it's just fine. Honestly, adds
one more cool characteristic to an already cool piece in my opinion. ..Also want to say
that the color is exceptional as well on this vintage dial. It's kind of white, or off white.
Almost looking like an antique color, which really brings another dimension to the watch
as a whole. The contrast of the case, and dial alone is nice enough, but then there are
those unforgettably shaped numbers. Holy COW ! Don't think I have seen such a style
of number on a watch, but it is especially beautiful sir. Even the center section of the dial,
with it's hypnotizing design, along with texture is TOO GOOD here. Just can't think of a
better combination of unique parts to make up a watch. I may use that word alot, but
"unique" is what this project is, and it's pretty remarkable !!! ..You have a modern, yet
classic case, but then have the most stunning vintage dial too. The color, the numbers,
and texturing are ALL incredible to me. Even those hands, and the sub-dial add to the
feel of this watch. ..Their color ALSO plays off of the case finish nicely as well. WOW ! cyclops
Have to just add that the track of markings on the outside of this dial is eye-catching
also. Not only does it bring that vintage them into focus, but it might just be helping
to show off the threads in that luxurious strap. ..Honestly, it seems like every part
of this watch comes together in such a cool way. Even when you turn your project
over, you can see that THIS movement fits in just right. It has the unique decoration,
as well as just overall beauty that makes this watch so VERY special. Smile ..Once again
the whole watch, along with ability to plan, and create such a piece is ingenious !!!
What A BEAUTY ! ..What a PROJECT ! ..Congratulations on coming up with, as well as
completing this one ! ..I really hope you enjoy !

Thanks very much for showing us all of this, it's just amazing to see !
Fantastic watch, pictures, and play by play.

Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: New project completed!   New project completed! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 1:14 am

WOW!

That is SO cool dude!

You could do some great photoshop stuff with that watch too!

PostSubject: Re: New project completed!   New project completed! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 2:37 am

looks great dude even the lil dial boo-boo makes it look that much older! this is about as far as i went with the grinding dials to size(always put blue masking tape on the dial front) and re drilling a few holes but never, ever could get to where Ron is at. This man is a watchmaker pure and simple but i think you did a great job and the radiomir case is always a fun one to work with! New project completed! 74725
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: New project completed!   New project completed! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 2:09 am

Very Cool Chris! That dial is So "Vintage" and it goes very well with the case. I think the added mark is a plus on this one!
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: New project completed!   New project completed! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 2:12 am

The watch came out awesome!!! Congrats and thanks for the pics. Steve
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New project completed!   New project completed! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New project completed!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Horological Information :: Parts/Mod Links and Reference-
Jump to: