The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review!

Go down 
+4
merichar
TAZMAN64
Northwestguy
andrema
8 posters
AuthorMessage
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Empty
PostSubject: Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review!   Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 11:35 pm

Ok, I have owned my new Tudor for over a week now and wanted to pass along my impressions of the watch. What better way than a "mini-review"!

First off…the Hunt!

Some of you may know that I have loved this watch ever since it made its debut at Basel in 2010. As any good WIS would do, I did my research on the watch. I read reviews (good and bad) and read anything that I could get my hands on regarding the watch, it’s design and its components.

Given the fact that there are no AD’s in the US, this was sort of a leap of faith since I could not get my hands on one to see it in person. I made the decision a month or so ago to get one, but I could not decide on which version to buy (grey dial or black dial). I finally decided to go with the more contemporary black dial. This was mostly because that I felt that it would have a better chance of standing the test of time as well as be a more versatile watch. So the search for a BNIB Heritage Chronograph with black dial began in earnest…

My next step was finding a reputable seller. I searched all of the usual sites, used the search tools (ebay, watchrecon & elitedealseeker) and followed up with inquiries regarding reputation and references. After 3 weeks I finally decided to go with DavidSW on the Rolex Forum. He had a great reputation, tons of references and most important of all the exact watch that I wanted at a price that I was comfortable with.

I paid on a Saturday night (2/19), it shipped next day on the following Monday (2/21) and arrived on Tuesday morning (2/22). My assistant brought it to my office and I immediately opened the box like a kid at Christmas ….before I knew it, I was off taking crappy pictures with my iPhone...I apologize in advance for the quality, but I am more of a quantity man!

Ok…back to the review… drunken

Tudor Heritage Chronograph

Specifications:

Reference Number: 70330N

Stainless Steel Case
Satin-finished and polished case
Bidirectional Rotating Bezel
Water Resistance 150 meters (500 feet)
Black Dial with grey sub dials and chapter ring with orange numbers
Steel Bracelet and Fabric NATO Strap
Self-Winding ETA 2892-A2 movement with the Dubois-dépraz 2054 chronograph module
Screw-down pushers at 2 o'clock and 4 o'clock
45-minute totalizer at 9 o'clock
Small seconds hand at 3 o'clock
Date at 6 o'clock

Approximate Measurements:

Diameter– 42mm without crown, 45mm with crown
Lug to Lug Length – 50mm
Height – 14mm
Weight – 190g with bracelet, 98g with NATO

The Design:

It was inspired by the TUDOR Oysterdate Chronograph, going back to the early 70’s. There have been updates that make the watch contemporary looking and fresh. The watch has a diver feel, but isn’t technically a dive watch.

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! 6275c88f-1

The Packaging:

The watch comes in a nice black lacquered wooden case, with nice fasteners and finishing. I have never really cared about the packaging, but I thought that I would throw in a few shots for those who like this kind of stuff.

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! 162048f2

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! 927689f4

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Eb4af587

The Case:

The finishing and fit of the case is very fine. The polished sides have crisp lines and a mirror finish. The brushed finish on the top of the case and lugs as well as the caseback is very refined and has a satin like appearance. The caseback is flat, with simple markings. The shape of the caseback allows the watch to sit fairly flat on the wrist and is very comfortable to wear.

The crown and pushers have a cool knurled design. The crown has the Tudor shield logo inlaid on it and screws down with just a couple of turns. The pushers have black inlay as well as locking collars. The pusher functions are nice and firm when starting, stopping and resetting the chronograph.

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! DSC09009

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! 59998fd9

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! 38fd0748

The Bezel:

The bezel (60 clicks) is fairly thin, which makes the dial appear larger than the 42mm case size would suggest. It is glossy black on the top, with a silver 12 hour scale and the outer edge of the knurling etched into it to allow a very firm and secure grip while rotating. Most of my watches have a countdown bezel, so it will be pretty handy for travel to set a 2nd time zone with this bezel.

The one thing that I am slightly disappointed in is the action of the bezel. It aligns perfectly and the movement is smooth, but at the hour settings there isn’t a firm “click”. It isn’t a real big issue or problem (actually really minor), but I thought that I would mention it.

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! 274c68ed

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! 0799c3b4

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Af430cee

The Dial:

What else can I say…its perfect! The black dial has a satin finish, with applied indices. The dial has grey accents in the chronograph subdials as well as the chronograph second chapter ring. In addition, there are orange accents on the dial, with the second hand and the second indicators on the chapter ring.

This version, in my opinion, is the more contemporary of the two versions. It has a very strong wrist presence and has a vintage look…but not too vintage, if you know what I mean.

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! IMG_0649

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! 6275c88f-1

The Bracelet/NATO:

The three link solid steel bracelet is very nice and the fit/finish is excellent. The bracelet is 22mm at the lugs and it tapers down to 20mm at the clasp. The clasp is AWESOME…the Tudor shield logo design and function is one of the things that I actually like the most about the watch.

The bracelet is super comfortable (more than my Omegas)! I think this has to do with the shape of the links – They are slightly curved (concave) and flow very smoothly around the wrist. This combined with the flat (concave a little too) caseback make the watch a great every day wear!

The watch also comes with a cool black NATO with grey and orange stripes. There are a couple of neat features on this strap: The edges aren’t straight, they have a rippled look that gives it a little more character than your standard NATO and the strap has built-in spring bars to make the attachment to the case more secure.

The one thing that I see as a slight negative is the spacing on the case to the NATO. When it is on the wrist, the look from the side is a bit strange because of the spacing between the lugs is quite high. After wearing it for a while, it didn’t really bother me and was not a big deal.

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! DSC09006

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! DSC09010

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! DSC09002

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! 6f36fdf0-1

A few comparison shots versus the Omega Planet Ocean 42mm…

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! F49cb324

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! IMG_0700

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Dc4634cc

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! DSC08997

My impressions of the watch…

I have to say that I am in love with this watch. I may have just found "the one"..

Something happened with this watch that NEVER happened to me before…my wife actually noticed it and gave me a compliment. Now that is saying something as she sees my watches and usually rolls her eyes. She actually said “I really like that watch” and didn’t even follow-up with a “is it new or when did you buy it”…that is how I know that she actually likes it. This was not just an occurrence with my wife, I had several people at work (all women) ask about it and say that it was very nice, beautiful and I got one “sexy”…

I summary…the watch is badass and I am SOOOO glad I bought it. Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! 203558

Last edited by andrema on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review!   Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 11:47 pm

The world premiere here at WM...enjoy!

Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review!   Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 1:03 am

Love the watch, love the review................great job Mark! Makes me want to go out and get one.
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review!   Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 1:16 am

Hey Mark, Im glad you found the one!!! This was a awesome review on one hell of a timepiece. I think it looks great on both the nato and bracelet. This is the best looking tudor ive seen and glad you finally have it. There is nothing like getting a watch that you have wanted for a long time and have it meet all your expectations plus. Steve
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review!   Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 1:24 am

Gorgeous watch and an excellent review. Congratulations.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review!   Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 5:07 am

Lucky SOB!!! Wink

Enjoy it often!
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review!   Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 10:57 am

Greay review and pictures. You already know how I feel about Tudor. Wow, I can't imagine a brand new one. WOW
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review!   Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 11:07 am

Amazing review of a freaking awesome watch! I definitely like the vintage feel in an updated case size. Congrats on a great piece!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review!   Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 11:23 am

Amazing, simply amazing! Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! 46145
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review!   Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 11:40 am

Awesome watch and great review Mark...

That watch that has a STYLE that surpasses the Omega (for me anyway)...

Congrats and ENJOY!

Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review!   Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 3:56 pm

Awesome watch...colors are perfect...great review!!

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review!   Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 9:17 pm

Wow Mark, this watch is really something special !!! Very Happy I know you have alot of GREAT
watches, but for you to be in love with this one so much is REALLY saying something
sir. It looks like it compares very nicely with your Omega, and from the sound of your
review, might actually be surpassing it. Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! 46145 It genuinely looks PHENOMENAL, and having
the chance to learn about this one is even more fun. Truthfully had either forgotten, or
didn't know that Tudor watches weren't actually available in the U.S. so that's pretty
interesting right there, and it makes the watch that much more special also. I remember
learning that Tudor was, or is part of Rolex from you guys here, so that's really NEAT as
well. It's DEFINITELY something special ! ..I just can't get over the whole look, or theme
of the watch. It's easy to see why you have been getting so many different compliments
about it. The dial, bezel, case, strap, and bracelet all bring a VERY noticeable, and very
beautiful look to the table. This dial alone, is the kind where you can find yourself not
only getting drawn into all of the details of it, but also finding NEW things out about each
day as well I would imagine. That marker shape, and the way it reflects the Tudor emblem
is very ingenious, and eye catching. While the gray outer part of the dial, along with sub
dials is simply breathtaking I think. That shape on the sub-dials is REALLY something to
see as well. Yowza ! ..Don't think this watch could have come out any better than it did,
and I think that is part of the appeal of this one as well. Tudor did everything right with
this watch, and that's just ONE of the reasons why it's so special as well. Even the rest
of the dial is a real joy to look at. The black dial, along with accents is just flawless, and
the shape of the hands is OUTSTANDING also. Can't remember seeing that shape on watch
hands before, so that's extra cool TOO. Have to add that the white chapter ring work
EXTREMELY well also Mark, and kind of sets off those amazing markers even more. So it
really seems like this watch has it ALL ! ..Even the bezel with the pattern, or look it has
is TREMENDOUS. The look of the numbers is very very classy, while the hash marks add
some extra charm in for good measure. Also think the sides of the bezel are incredible
with the knurling. It not only looks really attractive, but helps to show off the shape of
the bezel from the side. The knurling theme couldn't be cooler as it even spills over onto
the pushers as you mentioned. It's just one more part of the watch that works together
so well imho. Hey, and how about the Tudor emblem on the crown as well ? THAT is just
TOO GOOD ! Smile Those small touches can help take a watch to different levels. It's just
like the packaging, it's not necessary to have nice packaging, but it sure makes things
SPECIAL when it's like the packaging, or logo on the crown, that comes with this Tudor
here. Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! 46145 ..The small details, along with the quality of the movement, and steel that
holds everything together is very important. ..That finish, or dual finishing, as well as
the attention to detail on the dial, or even clasp on the bracelet is what makes a watch
different, or once again special. By the way, just want to add that it's hard picking a
favorite between the super cool nato strap, and bracelet. Each of them adds their very
own twist to this Tudor, and each of them ROCK ! Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! 933578 Guess this watch is everything
you could want Mark ! It's cool, classy, comfortable, and even gets some compliments.
It's really pretty SPECIAL ! Congratulations on this one, and as always ..enjoy !

What a special watch, along with pics, and REVIEW !

PostSubject: Re: Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review!   Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tudor Heritage Chronograph - a not so "mini" mini-review!
Page 1 of 1