The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Second watch build. . . Private label

Go down 
+7
sixtysix
pacifichrono
TAZMAN64
jaw
Northwestguy
Chris S.
smellody
11 posters
AuthorMessage
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

Second watch build. . . Private label Empty
PostSubject: Second watch build. . . Private label   Second watch build. . . Private label Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:04 pm

Here is a little project I started as an X-mas gift for my dad. I think it looks great. First dial did not work out. I was lucky enough to find a 37.5mm dial, but then the case did not work out. Cased it up last night and it has kept time for a full 24hrs, need to cut the stem, but otherwise complete. Movement came out of an Arnex pocket watch. Any praise needs to go to Ron (Barnbuilder) for the inspiration and all of his help. Thanks for all your help Ron. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Second watch build. . . Private label 20110417193823
Second watch build. . . Private label 20110417193831
Second watch build. . . Private label 20110417203332
Second watch build. . . Private label 20110418175347
Second watch build. . . Private label 20110418175402
Second watch build. . . Private label 20110418175415

Last edited by smellody on Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Second watch build. . . Private label   Second watch build. . . Private label Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:30 pm

NICE job!!!! Great build Chris, I know your Dad will love it. Ron is the man, he is a huge amount of inspiration and help.
Back to top Go down
Chris S.
Senior Associate
Chris S.

PostSubject: Re: Second watch build. . . Private label   Second watch build. . . Private label Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:45 pm

BEAUTIFUL cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Second watch build. . . Private label   Second watch build. . . Private label Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:48 pm

Looks great Christopher! Would love to see it up close. Great build!
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Second watch build. . . Private label   Second watch build. . . Private label Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 11:11 pm

I'm really envious of you guys that can do this.
Looks great Chris.
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: Second watch build. . . Private label   Second watch build. . . Private label Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 12:05 am

This is something i know i will never be able to do. It looks great chris, enjoy it. Steve
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: Second watch build. . . Private label   Second watch build. . . Private label Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks guys! Here are some pics of the donor pocket watch.
Second watch build. . . Private label 1003855q
Second watch build. . . Private label 1003856z

Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Second watch build. . . Private label   Second watch build. . . Private label Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 1:34 am

Very nice looking watch, Chris. You might want to try a shorter stem, though.
Second watch build. . . Private label 744742
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Second watch build. . . Private label   Second watch build. . . Private label Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 6:24 am

That's awesome Chris!! I have to make one of these.....how do I get started? I have an almost unlimited supply of PW movements to pick from.....

Second watch build. . . Private label Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Second watch build. . . Private label   Second watch build. . . Private label Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 8:44 am

You guys take it to a new level...VERY COOL dude!

PostSubject: Re: Second watch build. . . Private label   Second watch build. . . Private label Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 9:51 am

sixtysix wrote:
That's awesome Chris!! I have to make one of these.....how do I get started? I have an almost unlimited supply of PW movements to pick from.....

Check with Ron, he is definitely the expert! Size 10 or 10s movements are the ones that work with the least amount of tooling. Anything larger you have to grind something, either the edge of the movement or the inner diam of the case. I used an Asian Radiomir style case that fit my hamilton perfectly. There's lots of sources on Ebay, Otto Frei etc. for cases. Go for it! It's a great feeling getting a project to finally work.
Back to top Go down
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Second watch build. . . Private label   Second watch build. . . Private label Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 1:29 pm

very cool dial Chris, it goes perfect with the gold 6498!
nice classic look with a modern engine. It really turned out well.
All you need now is a nice strap to go with it.
Enjoy it!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Second watch build. . . Private label   Second watch build. . . Private label Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 2:20 pm

Holy COW Chris, this is TOO GOOD ! Shocked Very Happy ..Can't imagine how happy your father is
going to be when he sees this sir. Smile He must be be amazed just like we are that you are
able to think of, and do things like this. Congratulations to you for being able to create
your own watches, and to him for recieving such a BEAUTIFUL watch ! ..It's something
to see how you brought all of the pieces together first of all. The whole pocket watch
movement idea is so ingenious I think. It's neat because it gives an older watch some
new life in the form of a new creation. Also think it gives the watch a real authentic feel
about it since it has these classic parts within it. The decoration on the movement is so
mesmerizing that you could almost forget to turn the watch over to see what time it is. cheers
All of the detail, all of the unique pieces, and how it all fits together is just exceptional.
The gold is off the charts as well ! It genuinely brings a whole new level to the watch,
and is very very easy on the eyes TOO ! ..Just can't put into words how great all of
it looks, as well as how great it must be to know how to do this. Every time I see how
you guys think all of this up, and then are able to plan, and piece everything together
I am astonished. On top of all of that, you are showing us another way to find enjoyment
with this hobby. Really is PHENOMENAL, thank you ! Second watch build. . . Private label 46145 ..Moving to the dial itself, it's
something how you have the gold accents coming into the picture once again. ..The
sub-dial is stunning with all of the classic looking markings, and numbers. While the gold
has a vibrant sun ray effect happening also. Even that gold ring in the center of the dial
works SO well as it ties the dial, and movement together seemlessly. Add to that the
fact that it shows up, and helps to show off the rest of this dial as well Chris. The center
ring acts as the perfect boundary for the large vintage looking numbers first of all. It
kind of puts them front, and center. Allowing you to take them in, and notice all of the
detail about them. I like how each number has such a presence on the dial, but also
has a classy, elegant style in how they look. Even the hands have that theme in how
they look ! Following along in the same footsteps of the numbers with their very own
classy, and classic feel. INCREDIBLE ! ..Have to also mention that the track on the
outer part of the dial is excellent as well. It once again brings in the vintage feel, but
also reflects that track which is on the gold sub-dial too. ..It's neat to see how that
sub-dial is where the "6" would be also. Smile Genuinely catches the eye, while bringing
in a very subtle, but VERY interesting characteristic of the watch. Speaking of interesting !
Your choice of crown fits in just perfectly with the elegant theme of your new watch
build. Those ridges, along with the overall size is exceptional. Actually the whole watch
is exceptional from front to back ! ..Cant say enough about the case either Chris !
That silver REALLY does something amazing when combined with the gold that is on
the watch, as well as with that beautiful off white on the dial. Seeing "Hamilton" on the
dial is the perfect grand finale also ! Second watch build. . . Private label 803574 Congrats to you, and your dad Chris.
I know he will enjoy this !!!

Beautiful build, watch, gift, and pictures !

PostSubject: Re: Second watch build. . . Private label   Second watch build. . . Private label Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 7:09 pm

very coooooooooool
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Second watch build. . . Private label   Second watch build. . . Private label Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 8:59 am

You guys inspire me...I'm not sure if that is good news or bad news!

With my skills, I would be lucky to actually open a caseback!

PostSubject: Re: Second watch build. . . Private label   Second watch build. . . Private label Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Second watch build. . . Private label
Page 1 of 1