The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Wakmann Chrono......

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

New Wakmann Chrono...... Empty
PostSubject: New Wakmann Chrono......   New Wakmann Chrono...... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 7:53 pm

Picked up a cool new Wakmann chronograph today...did some trading... Very Happy , I really haven't been posting every vintage I pick up but this one is cool enough to post up.

WTF is a Wakmann you ask? I found this blurb on the internet that kind of describes the Wakmann/Breitling relationship. Seems about right....agrees with the Wakmann site.

According to the book "Breitling: History of a Great Brand of Watches", Wakmann was the US distributor of Breitling watches from the 1940s to the 1970s. Some watches were co-signed Breitling/Wakmann as well as just Wakmann but made by Breitling. I would guess that this relationship is similar to the Longines/Wittnauer relationship i.e. the US distributor of a Swiss brand also selling its own brand.
- Rob Rosner

This has a Valjoux 7733 so it is solidly in the 1970's (made from '69 to '78 in 3 different forms).....

New Wakmann Chrono...... 100_1383a-1

New Wakmann Chrono...... 100_1385-1

New Wakmann Chrono...... 100_1387

New Wakmann Chrono...... 100_1389

New Wakmann Chrono...... 100_1390

New Wakmann Chrono...... 100_1391

New Wakmann Chrono...... 100_1393

New Wakmann Chrono...... Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: New Wakmann Chrono......   New Wakmann Chrono...... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 8:04 pm

Very Nice gary! Gold dial/black subs? 36mm? The movement looks really clean. Were you at a show?
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: New Wakmann Chrono......   New Wakmann Chrono...... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 8:20 pm

Northwestguy wrote:
Very Nice gary! Gold dial/black subs? 36mm? The movement looks really clean. Were you at a show?

The pictures actually do not show how beautiful this is....even my wife said 'OMG' when she saw it. Yep gold dial, the black sunken subdials look great, I am surprised the main needle is black and not white, but is still looks great. I am thinking it's about 38mm....but I can measure when I get home. Actually my buddy bought it off eBay and we were in the middle of a trade and I had to have it. No shows until July the NWACC show in Syracuse, NY. The pushers show some gold loss on the ends, and there are some scratches on the back, it keeps great time and chrono works great and resets perfectly.

Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: New Wakmann Chrono......   New Wakmann Chrono...... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 10:14 pm

Fantastic Watch!!

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: New Wakmann Chrono......   New Wakmann Chrono...... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 1:01 am

Gary, these vintage watches never cease to AMAZE sir ! New Wakmann Chrono...... 46145 Just seeing the way
watches were designed, and built years ago is interesting enough in my opinion. Smile
The beautiful cases, mesmerizing dials, along with elegant straps like on this watch
are simply outstanding. Even the 38mm size seems to be perfect ! This one is just
AMAZING ! Congratulations on a really GREAT trade !!! ..Want to first start off by
thanking you for the very cool information about this watch, along with Wakmann's
connection to Breitling. It's really really interesting finding out about how various
different watch companies either use to work together, or even had other watch
companies under them. You can really tell that this particular watch has a TON of
class, and elegance within it. From the outside, to the inside, with that masterpiece
of a movement. This Wakmann couldn't be NICER ! Very Happy Staying with the movement
for a second, and working backwards, or inside, out in this case. It's incredible to
see all of the fantastic parts that make up the movement. They REALLY seem to
make up this mesmerizing maze of beauty. ..Even the shape everything is in is
INCREDIBLE, and you can really appreciate the look of the jewels, as well as all
of the wheels, and gears TOO ! Yowza !!! ..Moving to the outside of the watch
is just as fun with your Wakmann also Gary. Can't say enough how neat it is to
see these elegant shaped cases like this with their classy turns, and excellent
edges. What is so interesting is how at first you just find yourself enjoying the
simplicity of the case. Later on though, you find yourself appreciating the pure
craftsmanship that went into everything. That thinness of the case is one of the
first things you notice. Followed by the area near the dial which rise up so
nicely also. Even the crown, along with pushers have this perfect blending of
simplicity, and detailed workmanship with their look. They look really great
by themselves, but look even better with the style that the Wakmann has in
my humble opinion. ..Something else that stands out about your new vintage
piece here Gary, is the case-back. I mean that etched ship on the back is
THE BEST. What an extremely cool design ! ..Finally, it's the dial, with it's
unforgettable three dimensional horizontal vintage markers, thin hash marks,
classy hands, and deep black sub-dials, against an unbelievable gold dial, that
is one especially AMAZING grand finale Gary ! New Wakmann Chrono...... 803574 New Wakmann Chrono...... 803574 Congrats to you once
again sir, and ..Enjoy !

Amazing watch, Amazing PICS !

Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: New Wakmann Chrono......   New Wakmann Chrono...... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 1:15 am

Looks like its in great shape, particularly the movement. Can't recall ever seeing indices turned like that. Real interesting find, congrats.
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: New Wakmann Chrono......   New Wakmann Chrono...... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 7:48 am

I checked the measurements it's 37mm, 39.5 with crown.

Thanks for all the great comments guys! Tom, as always, your comments were 'over the top' Very Happy

Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: New Wakmann Chrono......   New Wakmann Chrono...... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2011 7:34 pm

sixtysix wrote:
I checked the measurements it's 37mm, 39.5 with crown.

Thanks for all the great comments guys! Tom, as always, your comments were 'over the top' Very Happy

cheers Sometimes I get a little out of control ! ..Enjoy Gary ! Smile

PostSubject: Re: New Wakmann Chrono......   New Wakmann Chrono...... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Wakmann Chrono......
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Vintage Watches-
Jump to: