The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ? Empty
PostSubject: What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ?   What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 12:47 am

Finally ready to let this go and turn it into something I can enjoy.
No clue what this might be worth.
Perhaps I should just sell it for the gold - I dunno.

Mechanical Movement (works)
14k Case 32mm/Bracelet 18mm
Mesh Damaged and Repaired - But fused and inflexible near case at 1:00
Crystal scratched mineral (likely NOT the original)
Opinions Welcome

Thank you

What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ? Jaw_dadBM_001-vi

What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ? Jaw_dadBM_002-vi

What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ? Jaw_dadBM_003-vi

What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ? Jaw_dadBM_004-vi
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ?   What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 5:02 am

In my opinion pieces like this often go for scrap or a few bucks more than the gold value. I have seen a buddy of mine buy both a Patek and a JLC from the 50's for basically $50 to $100 more than gold price. (He was giving high prices on the scrap, higher than anyone else, to be fair) The Patek he bought is very similar to yours in that it has the lugless gold bracelet welded to it, so if you need to adjust the bracelet you have to cut the gold and if it is too short you are out of luck. B&M is no where near the clout of Patek or JLC. He was going to send his to a master jeweler and have the bracelet lasered off and lugs cast from the gold...not original but make the value go up considerably.

IMO The repaired bracelet kind of kills it for collector value as well, you could always have to have it cut off and a new one welded on, not cheap....plus service.

Find somebody who deals in watches and buys scrap gold for the best price (like my buddy) and get a fair estimate of value. If you scrap the thing remember the crown is most likely gold and it may have real gold weights in the balance wheel.

Check complete auctions on ebay....often these kinds of watches go for good prices there. Make you have good movement shots.

What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ? Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ?   What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2012 2:04 pm

Not sure what this is worth Jeffery, but it's REALLY beautiful sir ! Smile
It's neat how the dial seems like it curves, and how those hands, as
well as cool Roman numerals seem to bend with it. What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ? 46145 That mesh
is GREAT also by the way. ..Thanks so much for showing this Baume
& Mercier to us. Really is nice learning about different watches, and
also how watch companies did things years ago too. Keep all of us
updated with this, and good luck !

Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ?   What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 1:09 am

Good stuff Gary, thanks. You're right, a Patek it ain't. Didn't think about movement photos, another good suggestion. Thanks again for taking the time offer advice.

I'll let you know what happens Tom. It wasn't my favorite definitive watch of his - just the only one left. I would rather convert it and some of his other stuff (film cameras), into something special I can enjoy knowing his possessions made it possible.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ?   What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 12:09 pm

jaw wrote:
Good stuff Gary, thanks. You're right, a Patek it ain't. Didn't think about movement photos, another good suggestion. Thanks again for taking the time offer advice.

I'll let you know what happens Tom. It wasn't my favorite definitive watch of his - just the only one left. I would rather convert it and some of his other stuff (film cameras), into something special I can enjoy knowing his possessions made it possible.

Really is a very nice idea Jeffery. I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up doing !

PostSubject: Re: What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ?   What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is Dad's Old Baume & Mercier Worth ?
Page 1 of 1