The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What "Swiss Made" means now

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

What "Swiss Made" means now Empty
PostSubject: What "Swiss Made" means now   What "Swiss Made" means now Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 9:07 pm

Not sure if everybody has already heard, or seen this news. Just had found out about it. Evidently the rate of what
it means for Swiss industrial products like watches to be considered Swiss made has been moved up to 60% now.

Timezone.com has a little more about this decision right here everyone...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What "Swiss Made" means now Swissmade

Last edited by AtomicTom on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: What "Swiss Made" means now   What "Swiss Made" means now Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 10:44 am

Swiss made should be higher than the current 50%, so 60% is welcomed. But I think this for any claim, be it US made or Chinese made or Swiss made.

We know even the big hitters source their cases to China....but  don't mind, the case is not such a technology piece as the movement. I really expect the movements in Swiss watches to be 'Swiss made" not just inspected by a Swiss dude who gets paid so much an hour it is 50% of the price of the movement.

What "Swiss Made" means now Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: What "Swiss Made" means now   What "Swiss Made" means now Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 8:38 pm

sixtysix wrote:
Swiss made should be higher than the current 50%, so 60% is welcomed. But I think this for any claim, be it US made or Chinese made or Swiss made.

We know even the big hitters source their cases to China....but  don't mind, the case is not such a technology piece as the movement. I really expect the movements in Swiss watches to be 'Swiss made" not just inspected by a Swiss dude who gets paid so much an hour it is 50% of the price of the movement.

Great great points Gary. cheers You know what's funny?! Years ago, I always thought that when it said Swiss Made, that

that meant everything with the watch was done entirely in Switzerland. 100%.

Would be interesting to find out what percentage the different companies are actually at. I guess some of the big names
would, or could be around 100% right Gary? While the vast majority evidently will be hovering around that 50-60% rule?!

sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: What "Swiss Made" means now   What "Swiss Made" means now Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Some watch maker oppose this saying that watchmakers will buy some components cheaper from China and this will in turn drive up the 'Swiss ' percentage of the watch and it will actually be a cheaper product, but look better on paper....read below....

Ronnie Bernheim, head of the maker of Switzerland's railway clocks, Mondaine, said a threshold as high as 60 percent could compel makers of lower-priced watches to buy cheaper components abroad.
"If you import a lower price component, also of lower quality, the Swiss percentage goes up ... Lower-quality products would qualify for 'Swiss Made'. It is paradoxical," said Bernheim, on behalf of some 25 watchmakers opposing stricter rules.
The trend is likely to be accelerated by a move by watch industry major Swatch Group to get out of the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of selling movements and movement parts to other watchmakers, which will compel some players to source more parts from Asia, at least in the short-term.
LVMH's biggest watch brand TAG Heuer has been one of the few to publicly admit buying movement parts from Japan's Seiko while stressing this would not hurt its "Swiss Made" image.

Buying less crucial watch components such as cases, straps and dials from Asia, mainly [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], has been common practice for decades. While luxury players and big groups can afford to make these parts in Switzerland at a higher cost, smaller and mid-sized firms in the lower-priced segment cannot, said one Swiss movement maker who asked not to be named.

Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: What "Swiss Made" means now   What "Swiss Made" means now Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 10:27 pm

sixtysix wrote:
Some watch maker oppose this saying that watchmakers will buy some components cheaper from China and this will in turn drive up the 'Swiss ' percentage of the watch and it will actually be a cheaper product, but look better on paper....read below....

Ronnie Bernheim, head of the maker of Switzerland's railway clocks, Mondaine, said a threshold as high as 60 percent could compel makers of lower-priced watches to buy cheaper components abroad.
"If you import a lower price component, also of lower quality, the Swiss percentage goes up ... Lower-quality products would qualify for 'Swiss Made'. It is paradoxical," said Bernheim, on behalf of some 25 watchmakers opposing stricter rules.
The trend is likely to be accelerated by a move by watch industry major Swatch Group to get out of the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of selling movements and movement parts to other watchmakers, which will compel some players to source more parts from Asia, at least in the short-term.
LVMH's biggest watch brand TAG Heuer has been one of the few to publicly admit buying movement parts from Japan's Seiko while stressing this would not hurt its "Swiss Made" image.

Buying less crucial watch components such as cases, straps and dials from Asia, mainly [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], has been common practice for decades. While luxury players and big groups can afford to make these parts in Switzerland at a higher cost, smaller and mid-sized firms in the lower-priced segment cannot, said one Swiss movement maker who asked not to be named.

Wow Gary, didn't see that angle at all. Thought it was a good thing, but now I wonder after reading this. It's like we are
in the Twilight Zone or something.Shocked alien

sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: What "Swiss Made" means now   What "Swiss Made" means now Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:24 pm

If you want 100% Swiss....I think only the big manufactures do this.....Rolex and UP. Rolex and Seiko (Japanese of course not Swiss) are the only two watch makers that I can think of that do everything in house. Seiko even makes it own watch oil.

You are right I think that many 'Swiss' watchmakers are probably very close to that 50%.....

Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: What "Swiss Made" means now   What "Swiss Made" means now Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 1:28 pm

sixtysix wrote:
If you want 100% Swiss....I think only the big manufactures do this.....Rolex and UP. Rolex and Seiko (Japanese of course not Swiss) are the only two watch makers that I can think of that do everything in house. Seiko even makes it own watch oil.

You are right I think that many 'Swiss' watchmakers are probably very close to that 50%.....

Think it is really so interesting Gary. I never really think about it that much, but when it comes
up like this once in a while, it's fun to talk about. By the way, that whole Seiko making it's own
oil thing is really something. Didn't know that. study Thanks a lot Gary !

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What "Swiss Made" means now   What "Swiss Made" means now Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What "Swiss Made" means now
Page 1 of 1