The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

'Swiss Made' now and then

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

'Swiss Made' now and then Empty
PostSubject: 'Swiss Made' now and then   'Swiss Made' now and then Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2015 4:05 pm

Do you guys ever think about this? Smile How 'Swiss Made' is today vs. yesterday?!

Not that you, or we focus all of the time on where a watch is made, but did you ever think about what Swiss Made is
today as compared to yesterday? Today there is a certain percentage Swiss watches have to get to to be considered
Swiss Made, but weren't they 100% Swiss years ago?

What do think about this? Or have to say? Were Swiss watches technically more Swiss years ago?

How would you say quality is now vs. then also?

Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: 'Swiss Made' now and then   'Swiss Made' now and then Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2015 10:31 pm

Swiss made in today's world is an illusion. And YES I know some of the best and most awesome watches come from CH. When you have a formula that says 50% of the Value has to come from CH, to wear the 'Swiss Made' label, then I have an issue. You can honestly have a watch made in China, Japan, or anywhere...then have a Swiss watch inspector look at them and charge 50% of the value as an inspection fee, and now you have a Swiss Made watch.

OK I think they have changed this....but it really used to be this way.

Swiss watches were crap back in the day (before say 1940's) the US made better stuff and was the world leader in watches and watch technology. Look at Ball and Hamilton. US companies that are now Swiss Made. 

Even big companies have cases and other parts sourced out to other countries...Omega is one I heard had cases made in China. Does this take away from the value? NOPE....China can make some amazing stuff if they are held to high standards. This is where the Swiss case inspector comes in to play.

If you want true Swiss Made...buy a Rolex (or several other high end watches). Rolex makes every part for their watches...even the oil....everything. Same deal with Seiko...they make everything...but they have offices and manufacturing in several different countries.

Well enough rambling  Very Happy I love watches from all countries and I own at least 100 Swiss Made watches....in todays world....THEY ARE ALL GOOD!

'Swiss Made' now and then Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: 'Swiss Made' now and then   'Swiss Made' now and then Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2015 11:05 pm

Wow, well said Gary !!! 'Swiss Made' now and then 46145

Don't think this was rambling at all. The way you explained everything, and gave so much tremendous
insight, and information about this was phenomenal. You really put everything into perspective, and
explained things in such a cool way. Thanks very much for doing it ! 'Swiss Made' now and then 803574

PostSubject: Re: 'Swiss Made' now and then   'Swiss Made' now and then Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Swiss Made' now and then
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: General Watch Discussion...-
Jump to: