The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hiking Mt. St. Helens again.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

Hiking Mt. St. Helens again. Empty
PostSubject: Hiking Mt. St. Helens again.   Hiking Mt. St. Helens again. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 12:13 am

Went on another hike today. This time on the north side of the mountain. I was going to hike Goat Mountain but the Forest Service had the road closed for some reason. Plan B short hike up Independence Pass Trail and on towards Boundary Trail.
Overlooking Spirit Lake and the mountain. The debris you see on the western edge of the lake are trees blown down by the eruption in May 1980.
Hiking Mt. St. Helens again. DSCF4194
Just a small sample of the eruption devastation, trees were either uprooted entirley or sheared off at the stump. The scene is similar for hundreds of square miles in the direction of the blast.
Hiking Mt. St. Helens again. DSCF4162
Looking north from Independence Pass to Mt. Rainier.
Hiking Mt. St. Helens again. DSCF4211

Last edited by merichar on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Hiking Mt. St. Helens again.   Hiking Mt. St. Helens again. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 12:50 am

Super photos ! Really beautiful there, and it's something to still see the evidence of the eruption of Mt. St. Helens. I guess it really hasn't been that long when you stop and think about it. Thanks !
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Hiking Mt. St. Helens again.   Hiking Mt. St. Helens again. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 1:22 am

koimaster wrote:
Nice photos Mark. Do you remember when that happened? Fairchild AFB was nothing but a grey dust bowl. Just goes to show you how puny we really are compared to a pissed off mother nature.

Yes, I remember the day. It was early on a Sunday morning and me and some friends drove up to the ridge overlooking the Columbia River in Rainier-saw a huge, mushroom shaped ash cloud. Later, on the news, we saw Eastern Washington blacked out at noon. We got some ash-but most went northeast.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hiking Mt. St. Helens again.   Hiking Mt. St. Helens again. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hiking Mt. St. Helens again.
Page 1 of 1