The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?

Go down 
+7
merichar
jackprime1
Breez
DMB
Anomaly
PoliMalaka
andrema
11 posters
AuthorMessage
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Empty
PostSubject: Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?   Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 4:28 pm

I dropped into a Rolex AD today at lunch to take a look at and try on a Rolex Deep Sea. I love the looks and size of this watch and wanted to see it in person to get a real idea if it was one that I would want to get.

IMO - the case and dial are outstanding, with a great design and layout (no cyclops, which is a big plus!). However, I absolutely hate the bracelet! I understand that this is a common complaint on Rolex watches in general, but some people also love it! I just can't get over the tapered design, which makes it extremely narrow at the clasp.

I have two questions for you folks:

1. What do you think of this watch, hot or not?

2. Do you know of anyone who has successfully swapped out the bracelet? If so, please point me in the right direction.

Here is a picture to wet your appetite:
Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Sea-dw11

Specifications

Movement: Automatic winding mechanical chronometer Rolex movement with date function.

Case: Stainless Steel case with ceramic bezel; original 'Gas Escape Valve' 43mm dia. Water Resistant to 12,800 Feet - 3900 Meters.

Bracelet: Stainless Steel Oyster bracelet with new ratchet style flip-lock clasp.

Dial: Black dial with luminous markers that glow light blue.

Notes: V Series Model 116660

Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?   Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 4:39 pm

The tapered bracelet can throw the balance of the watch off. It'll just hang weird.

Look, this is a blessing in disguise.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?   Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 5:41 pm

I posted here about a month ago of my visit to an AD and seeing the Deep Sea...

I think it totally rocks, completely changed my mind about the modern day Rolex...

Associate
DMB

PostSubject: Re: Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?   Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 9:44 pm

The main reason I like Rolex divers and GMTs is that they have remained pretty much unchanged throughout the years. Three things I could always count on: 1. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. 2. My wife thinks I am obnoxious when I drink Tequila, no matter how funny I think I am. 3. Rolex dive watches will always be cool. I do not like where the recent changes have gone. I hate ceramic bezel inserts, blinged out center links, and the bigger size. Sorry, but I'll take an old Dweller or GMT II over the new ones any day. Rattling bracelet and all. Now pass the Tequila.

~ David
Back to top Go down
Breez
Associate
Breez

PostSubject: Re: Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?   Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 10:40 pm

I love it. It is what I think about when I think of a dive watch. I wish it was 45 or 46mm though.
Back to top Go down
jackprime1
Senior Associate
jackprime1

PostSubject: Re: Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?   Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 10:59 pm

I was asking the same question...I am really interested in this watch also..I have heard it is top heavy but I have not seen it in person my self. I think im gonna take a trip to my local AD and check it out for myself. Trying to decide what to go with on my next purchase...so far its the pam 297 but i wanna check out this Rolex and see if it changes my mind..Thanks for the post Andrema...I like what I hear from everyone's feedback.
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?   Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 11:10 pm

Someone send me one and I'll let you know about the tapered bracelet. I like the watch but it would'nt be in my top ten picks in that price range.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?   Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 11:31 pm

I don't have experience with these of course !..However, the look and
build of these is evidently top notch. I like the dot markers on the dial
along with overall personality of the bezel and bracelet. The price is
probably the only negative !..Nevertheless if YOU like the watch and
it really speaks to you, then by all means..add this one to your collection ! Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Icon_cheers
Alan, Trevor, and probably many others here have seen them first hand
and loved them..so that is another plus !..Keep us posted and Good Luck
Mark !

Senior Associate
TVDinner

PostSubject: Re: Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?   Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 1:05 am

I fully understand it is a Rolex and all of the history, and how good a watch it is. I get it.

Personally I just think it looks a little plain and like just about every other diver watch out there. I understand that many/most might be a copy of a Rolex, but it just seems to ordinary to me now.
Next, I really do not like the curved writing on the silver ring. To me it literally takes away from the rest of the watch. The best way I can describe it is that it distracts me from the rest of the watch.
I can not see the bracelet, but from your comments I probably would not like it because I normally like a wider bracelet that does not taper.

I am sure it is an amazing watch for everything that is inside it, but those are my honest opinions as you requested.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?   Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2011 9:32 am

It's been 8 weeks now since I expanded my watch collection from the Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph,Tag Heuer Chronotimer to include watch no. 3;The Rolex DSSD.This is my first Rolex and I must say the others are not getting much wrist time.
Firstly;the writing on the inner ring "gas escape valve" etc. is barely noticeable in the flesh.In pictures it looks dominant .It really is a non-issue.Secondly; the tapering of the bracelet once again is barely noticeable on the wrist because most of the tapering begins down the side/bottom of the wrist.Bear in mind the bracelet is solid 304 Stainless Steel the tapered down part is still way stronger than a human wrist the width is an aesthetic not a strength/function complaint! The watch face itself is still proportionate to the bracelet when viewed from the wearer's perspective. I wear this watch daily and will continue to do so; the bracelet is very comfortable.As a daily wearer the easy adjustment feature is nothing short of brilliant .I find that my wrist size varies from day to day and sometimes at different times during the day.factors such as weather ,exercise, activity or water retention can mean a simple click without removing the watch and the bracelet is perfect to a 1.8mm adjustment.Of course the ceramic bezelled sub has this same feature and IMHO so should all Rolex sports .Lastly;I'm fairly big so to me the size of the watch is not uncomfortable ,cumbersome or heavy.The Ceramic submariner looked tiny on my wrist (of course this is subjective) but on trying the DSSD on I was hooked.I write this response to hopefully quell any fears that the watch is too uncomfortable to wear regularly.If you are considering the DSSD it is a must to see this big beautiful lump in person -the photos (no matter how clear) do NOT do it justice! My first and only Rolex .I can now understand why owners love 'em.
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?   Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2011 12:52 am

Have seen and worn this watch...........Love it but, (sorry) I think the bracelet is a big design mistake. The tapering of the bracelet is too much when it reaches the clasp. This watch is classy yet it is bold and it begs for a wider bracelet.......at least less of a tapering. This is not a submariner (dress-up or dress-down watch). Esthetics are are a big part of this watch. The bracelet is fine for a dressier look and for a smaller sized watch head and in my opinion......the design team made a boo boo here. Love the brand. Love the watch. I wouldn't be surprised if Rolex widens the bracelet in the future.......but then again, Rolex seems to be steadfast in certain designs. To each his own.............it's what makes the world go round!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?   Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 6:03 pm

I think the Deep Sea is a fascinating piece. Just based on its WATERPROOF depth alone. However, the movement is not that special, and someone mentioned the bracelet taper. I recently looked at that piece before purchasing my CAJ2110 Aquaracer. I really loved the DEEP SEA, but the writing on the inner dial is sort of a turn off as someone mentioned. To ME that looks like the art of a fake, and not a genuine. For me, it came down to finance, and the best deal I could get on a Deep Sea was about $8500 (If I recall).

Another thing I loved about the Deep Sea was the color of the Lume on the markers. That blue color is gorgeous.. Other than that, your paying for that name, and reputation...I'm partial to Tag Heuer obviously, but if I had the spare coin, I'd consider a Deep Sea for sure. The 13000 feet of water resistance was very impressive,(not that it matters, I don't dive) but is really a cool feature. Overall, to me, more cons than pros on that timepiece....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?   Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Don't want my post to come off as negative about the Rolex name, or the Deep Sea. Ultimately, it truly came down to price for me... Sure I have some coin tied up in my most recent pieces, BUT I have 2 AMAZING time pieces.

Plus, Tag heuer fits "me" better. I don't think I'm a Rolex guy?
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?   Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 12:44 am

I could be a Rolex guy for this one, and doubt the bracelet would bother me if I was able to actually own one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?   Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rolex Sea-Dweller Deep Sea - what are your thoughts?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Dive Watches-
Jump to: