The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check how

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Empty
PostSubject: I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check how   I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 3:43 pm

accurate they are. Since getting my Ocean 7 LM-6 and syncing it on the 29th it is now sitting + 3 seconds. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me. My Zodiac Oceanaire is running + 15 per day but as I mentioned it doesn't bother me the way it would have in the past. A couple years ago I would have had my Oceanaire down to my watchmaker having it regulated but I accept my watches for what they are now. If it was running at a ridiculous rate + or - then I would have it regulated but I am very happy with the look of my Oceanaire so I overlook the +15 per day.
So what is your most accurate watch and what is the rate that its running at?
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check how   I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 3:48 pm

Awesome dude!

I would really like to see their ploprof model!

PostSubject: Re: I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check how   I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 3:59 pm

WaveCeptor...always within one second I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Icon_biggrin
I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Gw6900-2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check how   I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 4:02 pm

My most accurate non-quartz is my Poljot Alarm 18 Jewel that ran +1 second after a week when I was into such things.

I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Poljot-Alarm-Wrist2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check how   I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 4:10 pm

Anomaly wrote:
Awesome dude!

I have to be honest, I really don't like that design.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check how   I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 4:19 pm

falcon4311 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Awesome dude!

I have to be honest, I really don't like that design.

You and me both. In fact that is one of the fugliest watches I have ever seen I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Kopfschuettel
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check how   I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 4:20 pm

Both my Omega Bond GMT and Speedy auto as well as myTissot Seastar are tied , 2 seconds faster/day...follow closely by my Sumo and Orient M-force, at 3 seconds faster/day.. it goes down from there, I'm still anal about my mechanicals accuracy but learned that regulate non COSC pieces is a guessing game and IMHO (and experience) only a temporary fix, they go out of range sooner or later, the movement parts in the COSC watches are hand-picked with much better (closer) tolerances and build with better materials, Glycydur balance wheels, Nivarox hairsprings, Incabloc shock protection as an example and much better day to day beat rates from the start go...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check how   I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 4:23 pm

I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how TerribleThread-1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check how   I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 4:27 pm

eddiea wrote:
Both my Omega Bond GMT and Speedy auto as well as myTissot Seastar are tied , 2 seconds faster/day...follow closely by my Sumo and Orient M-force, at 3 seconds faster/day.. it goes down from there, I'm still anal about my mechanicals accuracy but learned that regulate non COSC pieces is a guessing game and IMHO (and experience) only a temporary fix, they go out of range sooner or later, the movement parts in the COSC watches are hand-picked with much better (closer) tolerances and buold with better materials, Glycydur balance wheels, Nivarox hairsprings, Incabloc shock protection as an example and much better day to day beat rates from the start go...

True, very true. But remember that COSC is merely the testing. ETA makes 5 grades of movements (although not all movements are avaialble in all 5 grades) with COSC at the top but only distinguished from "Top" grade by having been tested. So, a watch like my Mido Multifort Chronograph can have ALL the COSC-level parts in it but not be COSC. It thereby gains all the pluses with reduced cost IMHO. Mido routinely offers their watches with at least a one grade upgrade over other brands at the same pricepoint in my experience. Each of them has been incredibly consistent- much more consistent than most of my other watches - as a result.

From my review of the watch at WUS:

The Mido technical specifications on their website included the following:
"Technical characteristics Mido®️ 1320 calibre (based on the ETA Valjoux 7750) Ø 131/4’’’ or 30.00 mm, thickness: 7.90 mm, 25 rubies, 28 800 A/H, 165 components, power reserve in excess of 42 hours, INCABLOC and NIVACOURBE shock absorbers, GLUCYDUR balance-wheel, NIVAROX I balance spring, NIVAFLEX NO barrel spring, burnished screws, circular-grained bars, oscillating weight with Côtes de Genève and engraved Mido®️ logo."

Here was some information that helped. So, the movement reportedly has INCABLOC and NIVACOURBE shock absorbers, GLUCYDUR balance-wheel, NIVAROX I balance
spring, and NIVAFLEX NO barrel spring. This seemed to fit with what Mike had said about how to tell, but were these improvements or the standard components? Well, why not ask Mike (Stuffler)? He responded with:

“The "ingredients" you mentioned for sure are what I’d call the "key components" of a "high grade" movement. I sum it up:
Balance wheel: Glucydur vs Ni
Hairspring: Nivarox 1 versus Nivarox 2 or Anachron (ETA)
Mainspring and barrel material: Nivaflex NO vs Nivaflex NM
Shock protection: Etachron vs Incabloc vs KIF.
Incabloc is more expensive than the Etachron shock protection and belongs to the "top" and "chronometre" grades of ETA. NIVACOURBE is a patented spring treatment
by ETA. The open spring end is treated with heat in order to prevent deformation of the spring in case of a shock. This treatment is named:
ETA SA: "ETASTABLE"

NIVAROX-FAR: 'NIVACOURBE"
Most of the mechanical-ETA-movements can be ordered with ETASTABLE if you are willing to add some $$. Certainly a "high end module". Nivarox 1 is the best quality of Nivarox (1-5 is available). 0...0,5 sec deviation within 24 h on a change of temperature of 1º. I’ve to admit: very technical thing. The movement you described imho must be a "Top" or "Chronometre" movement.”
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check how   I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 4:47 pm

Docrwm wrote:
eddiea wrote:
Both my Omega Bond GMT and Speedy auto as well as myTissot Seastar are tied , 2 seconds faster/day...follow closely by my Sumo and Orient M-force, at 3 seconds faster/day.. it goes down from there, I'm still anal about my mechanicals accuracy but learned that regulate non COSC pieces is a guessing game and IMHO (and experience) only a temporary fix, they go out of range sooner or later, the movement parts in the COSC watches are hand-picked with much better (closer) tolerances and buold with better materials, Glycydur balance wheels, Nivarox hairsprings, Incabloc shock protection as an example and much better day to day beat rates from the start go...

True, very true. But remember that COSC is merely the testing. ETA makes 5 grades of movements (although not all movements are avaialble in all 5 grades) with COSC at the top but only distinguished from "Top" grade by having been tested. So, a watch like my Mido Multifort Chronograph can have ALL the COSC-level parts in it but not be COSC. It thereby gains all the pluses with reduced cost IMHO. Mido routinely offers their watches with at least a one grade upgrade over other brands at the same pricepoint in my experience. Each of them has been incredibly consistent- much more consistent than most of my other watches - as a result.

From my review of the watch at WUS:

The Mido technical specifications on their website included the following:
"Technical characteristics Mido®️ 1320 calibre (based on the ETA Valjoux 7750) Ø 131/4’’’ or 30.00 mm, thickness: 7.90 mm, 25 rubies, 28 800 A/H, 165 components, power reserve in excess of 42 hours, INCABLOC and NIVACOURBE shock absorbers, GLUCYDUR balance-wheel, NIVAROX I balance spring, NIVAFLEX NO barrel spring, burnished screws, circular-grained bars, oscillating weight with Côtes de Genève and engraved Mido®️ logo."

Here was some information that helped. So, the movement reportedly has INCABLOC and NIVACOURBE shock absorbers, GLUCYDUR balance-wheel, NIVAROX I balance

spring, and NIVAFLEX NO barrel spring. This seemed to fit with what Mike had said about how to tell, but were these improvements or the standard components? Well, why not ask Mike (Stuffler)? He responded with:

“The "ingredients" you mentioned for sure are what I’d call the "key components" of a "high grade" movement. I sum it up:
Balance wheel: Glucydur vs Ni
Hairspring: Nivarox 1 versus Nivarox 2 or Anachron (ETA)
Mainspring and barrel material: Nivaflex NO vs Nivaflex NM
Shock protection: Etachron vs Incabloc vs KIF.
Incabloc is more expensive than the Etachron shock protection and belongs to the "top" and "chronometre" grades of ETA. NIVACOURBE is a patented spring treatment
by ETA. The open spring end is treated with heat in order to prevent deformation of the spring in case of a shock. This treatment is named:
ETA SA: "ETASTABLE"

NIVAROX-FAR: 'NIVACOURBE"
Most of the mechanical-ETA-movements can be ordered with ETASTABLE if you are willing to add some $$. Certainly a "high end module". Nivarox 1 is the best quality of Nivarox (1-5 is available). 0...0,5 sec deviation within 24 h on a change of temperature of 1º. I’ve to admit: very technical thing. The movement you described imho must be a "Top" or "Chronometre" movement.”

Absolutely .. if the key ingredients are there (the Mido's case) then is a win/win situation...same can be say about mid/high grade components in the Seiko/Orient/Citizen pieces that are non COSC but they used components as excellent as any top grade Swiss and so are capable of extremely accurate as well as long term reliable performance...I was refering more into the low end mechanicals realm both Swiss and Japanese
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check how   I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 5:15 pm

Eddie,

I know but thought it would be good to offer the information about ETA's grades as many here have only experienced inflated claims from certain sources.

-R
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check how   I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 5:47 pm

Docrwm wrote:
Eddie,

I know but thought it would be good to offer the information about ETA's grades as many here have only experienced inflated claims from certain sources.

-R

I understand.... Cool BTW my 2612 fitted Poljot is also very accurate!!!! a low beat wonder Wink
I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Poljot
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check how   I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 5:48 pm

Congratulations on having such an accurate watch there Don ! I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Icon_smile It's
good looking and dependable..that is EXCELLENT !..For myself, I have
mostly quartz Zodiacs and all of them seem accurate !

PostSubject: Re: I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check how   I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check  how Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I'm not a stickler for accuracy like I used to be but I still check how
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: General Watch Discussion...-
Jump to: