The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Your Personal Watch of the Decade

Go down 
+3
andrema
jackprime1
Anomaly
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Your Personal Watch of the Decade Empty
PostSubject: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 1:00 pm

I'm stealing this question from pal Rusty who posted at another forum. But I find it fascinating.
Over the last decade I have owned more than 200 different (a very conservative estimate), but which one was my Watch of the Decade.
I decided on this:

Your Personal Watch of the Decade Picture018-3

Though I delight in my Clercs, Tudor Subs and Omega SMP I acquired during that time span. Why the Bedat?
A simple elegance, furnaced blued hangs, dead accurate movement, interesting dial, silkiest bracelet I've ever owned, wonderful fit and finish, slim design and relative rarity.

What's yours?
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 1:37 pm

These two are neck and neck...

Your Personal Watch of the Decade SW9

Your Personal Watch of the Decade J

Last edited by Anomaly on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 1:38 pm

Chronomat Evolution: I'd wanted one for years. As it says on the Breitling site "...the leader model of the Breitling line..."
Your Personal Watch of the Decade Breitling001
Your Personal Watch of the Decade Breitcroc001
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 1:47 pm

I would have to say my Breitling Super Ocean is the best watch that I've ever owned!

Your Personal Watch of the Decade IMG_0013
Back to top Go down
jackprime1
Senior Associate
jackprime1

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 2:32 pm

I will go with both of these....Next up to add will be the Panerai 297 or the 299...
Your Personal Watch of the Decade Breitling012-1
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 2:36 pm

I love this watch...

Your Personal Watch of the Decade Stowaacrua

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 3:06 pm

Kinda like asking which one of your kids to do like the best!!! If push came to shove and the rollie was in the 90's would have to go with this one!!

Your Personal Watch of the Decade 100_2937

best score under 200 bills without a doubt would be this ole pup..

Your Personal Watch of the Decade 100_2603
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Your Personal Watch of the Decade DSC04692

Your Personal Watch of the Decade DSC04335
Back to top Go down
Noisy Nova
Associate
Noisy Nova

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 7:06 pm

By what criteria do you use to determine ones 'watch of the decade'?
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 7:14 pm

Noisy Nova wrote:
yeah, what that guy said!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Wow, too rich for my blood. Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_farao
Back to top Go down
SynMike
Senior Associate
SynMike

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 8:00 pm

Almost all of the watches in my collection were bought in the last 3 years, so there are a lot to choose from. I pick this as my watch of the decade because it really opened my eyes to higher end watches, it was the first time I allowed myself to go over about $200 for a watch, buying this for about $50. (Edit: make that $500). Since then I bought 5 watches that cost more but mean less to me.

Your Personal Watch of the Decade IMG_1089

I can usually photograph a watch so that it looks better in photos than in real life. But I still haven't got a photo that shows this one looking as good as I see it with my eyes. I have to get out of the photo tent and try direct sunlight - when it returns in several months.

Last edited by SynMike on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 8:03 pm

SynMike wrote:
Almost all of the watches in my collection were bought in the last 3 years, so there are a lot to choose from. I pick this as my watch of the decade because it really opened my eyes to higher end watches, it was the first time I allowed myself to go over about $200 for a watch, buying this for about $50.

I can usually photograph a watch so that it looks better in photos than in real life. But I still haven't got a photo that shows this one looking as good as I see it with my eyes. I have to get out of the photo tent and try direct sunlight - when it returns in several months.

Methinks thou hast droppeth a Zero!
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 8:07 pm

Docrwm wrote:
SynMike wrote:
Almost all of the watches in my collection were bought in the last 3 years, so there are a lot to choose from. I pick this as my watch of the decade because it really opened my eyes to higher end watches, it was the first time I allowed myself to go over about $200 for a watch, buying this for about $50.

Methinks thou hast droppeth a Zero!
It's either the "new math" or he got a killer deal Your Personal Watch of the Decade Suspect

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 8:13 pm

Nice looking watches fellas. Interesting question, but I'm still waiting for the criteria as well. Seems most broke out the high dollar watches right away or is it just that cost and satisfaction are parallel?
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:05 pm

Interesting topic but I have trouble picking a watch of the day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:06 pm

Docrwm wrote:
Wow, too rich for my blood. Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_farao

Agreed. I'm not gonna contribute here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:07 pm

WatchNoob wrote:
Nice looking watches fellas. Interesting question, but I'm still waiting for the criteria as well. Seems most broke out the high dollar watches right away or is it just that cost and satisfaction are parallel?

Agree again.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:12 pm

PoliMalaka wrote:
Noisy Nova wrote:
yeah, what that guy said!

By whatever criteria YOU deem it your watch of the decade! This is what is YOUR watch of the decade not THE watch of the decade, more exacting criteria would be necessary were that the case...

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:16 pm

My watch of the decade varies from day to day.
The only ones not worthy are the ones I have sold.

My all time watch of forever is a Zodiac SeaWolf that I bought for big bucks in 1976 (100 + tax) and still own today.
And it still works fine-just looks like crap.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Exactly, it is YOUR watch of the decade, based on your criteria.

My former Seiko Sumo would've been in the running $350 back then based on it's wonderful fit and finish.
However, it was not a contender because I sold it. It was too big and too heavy for my taste.
Price is not my personal criteria.
I bought other watches that were way more expensive than the Bedat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:23 pm

Ok. I'll use the criteria of the watches that have brought me the most enduring joy over time.

Just two. First, the Zodiac Dragon Wing. The best chrono design I've ever owned, comfortable enough to wear for days, easy enough to read while driving, sick lume, built like a Sherman.
Your Personal Watch of the Decade CALIFORNIA244
Your Personal Watch of the Decade DSC04606

And in the 3-hand category, without a doubt the Seiko Monster on watchadoo. Most comfortable weight/size ratio, smoothest bezel, best lume ever, goes with anything I wear.
Your Personal Watch of the Decade CALIFORNIA260
Your Personal Watch of the Decade DSC04926
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 10:27 pm

Aqua Homer wrote:
WatchNoob wrote:

Agree again.

I picked my Breitling, not because it was "high dollar," but because that was a (yep, I'm going to say it) "grail." Out of the all of the ones I currently own, that's the "watch of the decade" in my colllection. The Chronomat was looked at for a while before I finally bought one. It's my #1 favorite.

Last edited by porschefan on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 11:38 pm

I based my decisions not on what a watch costs nor did I disqualify it based on cost! But if you won't show yours based on other posts then maybe it is better not to, although I would like to see yours, expensive or not.

Why I chose the Panerai. I first saw the Panerai case I really didn't like it that much and couldn't understand the love people showed for these watches. There ok but just not that cool in my opinion, I even knocked them. The more I saw the watch, did more looking into them and started saving pictures of many models and used them as desktop backgrounds.
Several friends at another forum started buying MM's and showing them. I thought I would get one, then two, and another until I had five different types. I really like the watches and was in love with the case by now, but knew they were just cheap copies.
I then went to an AD In Portland and actually tried on real deal and I was hooked, I had to buy what "I" believe is the best case design ever made! (if you don't, I could care less)

The Zodiac 7750 LE. I love Zodiac watches and the ZMX-02 in particular. So when I came across this LE model which I thought was never even made but having information that 82 were, I was told this by a person I know who works for Zodiac. When I found out these were real I bought it. Love the watch for it's beauty, auto 7750 and that it is very limited.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 11:58 pm

I certainly don't begrudge your Panerai's. I love them and concur on the design. To me the thread seemed more of "post your best watch" type of deal. Not a sentimental or meaningful type deal. Did not mean to offend all of you expensive watch buyers. I'm a bit like Doc. Won't spend over a certain amount for a watch.

Mine would certainly be the BaliHa'i. Gifted to me by James13. I've never received a more thoughtful or pricey gift from anyone including my wife of many years.

Second would be my first Black Monster. Got me into this whole watch forum thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 12:07 am

I love your choices AH.
My FAVORITE watch is a $65 Bradley Time quartz picked out by my oldest son, now 28, when he was four years old. It was the first gift he actually selected for me without input from his mom or another adult. He knew I liked Donald Duck and watches - saw it and said he wanted to get it for me.
I do not think my Bedat is my "best" watch - weirdly that honor might go to my Omega SMP on all-around points - it is just the one I enjoy most of all those acquired and departed in the 21st century. I learned a lot about fit and finish from the Bedat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 12:26 am

My Daytona, which was my only watch in 1999 when I got it, and second place would be tie between my Zodiac Oceanaire or the Accutron VX-200 chrono I got for my 50th birthday.
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 12:57 am

I've only been into watches for about 5 years. The watch for me has to be the Omega Seamaster GMT "Great White".
All around great watch.

A close second is the Seiko 009. All around great watch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitimeTue Jan 05, 2010 1:54 am

I would have to say my Ocean 7 LM-6. I was very enamored by my Oceanaire (I still am) but my love for this watch is over the top.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Personal Watch of the Decade   Your Personal Watch of the Decade Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Personal Watch of the Decade
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: General Watch Discussion...-
Jump to: