The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pulsar Diver

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 9:27 pm

Pulsar Diver IMG_0663
Pulsar Diver IMG_0659

So here it is, my new Pulsar 200M Diver.
This is my first Pulsar ever. I've always ignored the brand - sort of the way Rolex fanbois ignore Tudor. That was a joke. Really, there was nothing that ever appealed to me.

This model caught my eye because of the rubber strap (my first ever except on a now ancient Casio diver that was actually a tool). I think I may be having nickel allergies (though the case on this is stainless).

Anyway, here are my initial impressions.

Made in China (a surprise because I thought Japan - so this is my first Chinese watch).
Very smooth bezel, easy to read face, nicely textured dial (which I will never capture with my camera skills) and comfortable strap.
The lugs are very well done. I'm surprised at the fit and finish on a watch in this price range. Very good lume, though not in Seiko range. Solar powered movement, screw down crown. Watch head is relatively hefty.
All in all, I'm rather impressed. This is a solid 42 mm watch at a great price ($125 after 50% off). Comfortable, clean and classic styling. Lots of interesting touches.
This is a real hardhat watch and will become my go-to piece when things get rugged.
Feels more solid and has better fit and finish than a similarly priced Invicta. (Not a bash, just a frame of reference for us all).
Back to top Go down

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 9:34 pm

That's a nice looking Pulsar and won't be needing any battery changes. (Just be sure to give a dose of sun by letting it look out the window every so often.)
Should prove to be a great beater-but I have to ask.
When do things get rugged? Pulsar Diver Icon_razz

And you'd better read the BosKoE photo manual again-the second pic is in focus!

Now where's watch #2??
Back to top Go down

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 9:48 pm

Watch No. 2, the Seiko, came out REALLY blurry as did the first batch of Pulsars. Very annoying. I gave up in frustration will shoot it tomorrow.
Hate cameras!
Back to top Go down

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 9:48 pm

Nice looking Pulsar. You may be the first to post a Pulsar here I'm not sure, but I don't recall seeing one. Chinese huh? Would have fooled me too.
Back to top Go down

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 10:00 pm

Pulsar is owned by Seiko. But the case says "China." I suspect the case etc. are produced by Seiko's China subsidiary - that one Eyal Lalo claimed learned design and engineering from Invicta.

Here are the specs. Japan movement!

Product Specifications
Watch Information
Brand Name: Pulsar
Model number: PUA115
Part Number: PUA115
Dial window material type: Mineral
Clasp: Buckle
Case material: stainless-steel
Case diameter: 43 millimeters
Case Thickness: 15 millimeters
Band material: Polyurethane
Band length: mens
Band width: 23.5 millimeters
Dial color: black
Bezel material: stainless-steel
Bezel Function: unidirectional
Calendar: Date
item-weight: 16 Ounces
Movement: japanese-quartz
Water resistant depth: 660 Feet
Warranty Type: Manufacturer

BTW - saw a blue dial for $89
Back to top Go down

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 10:08 pm

Very nice. Thanks for all the efforts to photograph it, I know how much you hate doing it.
Back to top Go down

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 10:13 pm

That Pulsar has been around for a few years...it does not get the attention it should, really is a nice watch and very good quality. Thanks for showing it!!!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 11:01 pm

Definitely an impressive pick-up Boscoe !..Also thanks for the lesson
about Pulsar being part of Seiko ! Pulsar Diver Icon_smile It's easy to see the resemblance
with the dial, bezel, case and colorful second hand. It's also unique
because it's powered by the Sun !..Thanks for the pictures and Enjoy
the Pulsar !

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 11:24 pm

Thanks tom. Some wiki history:

Pulsar is a brand of watch and a division of Seiko Watch Corporation of America (SCA). While Pulsar was the world's first electronic digital watch, today Pulsar watches are usually analog. They generally use the same movements as the lower-end Seikos such as the 7T62 quartz chronograph movement.

In 1972, the first Pulsar watch was introduced by the Hamilton Watch Company. It was the world's first electronic digital watch and used an LED display. [1] Seiko Corporation acquired the brand in 1980.
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 12:24 am

I have an old Pulsar chrono that was the first watch I paid over $100 bucks for. They are pretty good watches. Wear it in good health.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 3:00 am

boscoe wrote:

Pulsar is a brand of watch and a division of Seiko Watch Corporation of America (SCA). While Pulsar was the world's first electronic digital watch, today Pulsar watches are usually analog. They generally use the same movements as the lower-end Seikos such as the 7T62 quartz chronograph movement.

In 1972, the first Pulsar watch was introduced by the Hamilton Watch Company. It was the world's first electronic digital watch and used an LED display. [1] Seiko Corporation acquired the brand in 1980.

Hey that is really something..Pulsar THE first electronic digital watch !..NEVER knew that either ! Pulsar Diver Icon_study
They were also part of Hamilton as well !? Pulsar Diver Icon_eek Pulsar Diver Icon_smile Amazing !..What a great watch company history
lesson Prof. Boscoe ! Thank You VERY much !

Consigliere
sixtysix

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 7:24 am

Cool diver...I have not tried the Pulsar Solar's yet. Now when do they kill Kinetic and go solar with Seiko?

Pulsar Diver Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 12:17 pm

I like kinetic. Powers my Seiko Perp Calendar, which is a nifty watch. Can "sleep" for four years, you shake it awake and it automatically resets, time and date - even with leap years. Very cool technology.
Back to top Go down

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 12:21 pm

AtomicTom wrote:
boscoe wrote:

Hey that is really something..Pulsar THE first electronic digital watch !..NEVER knew that either ! Pulsar Diver Icon_study
They were also part of Hamilton as well !? Pulsar Diver Icon_eek Pulsar Diver Icon_smile Amazing !..What a great watch company history

Unfortunately, or unfortunately, I'm old enough to actually remember this since I lived through it...
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 4:34 pm

boscoe wrote:
AtomicTom wrote:
boscoe wrote:

Unfortunately, or unfortunately, I'm old enough to actually remember this since I lived through it...

Pulsar Diver Icon_cheers Sounds like it was a VERY interesting time..that's for certain !
I guess the hard part was seeing watch companies that had been around
for a while, like Hamilton having to deal with the changes in the industry.
It was still an important time though with the onset of quartz and digital
watches.

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 6:16 pm

Just as an aside, the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s were the Age of Miniaturization as industry throve to make everything smaller and extremely functional for the Space Age.
Now, we are in The Land of the Giants (a 1960s TV show) horologically speaking. I laugh at big watches since it takes more time and skill to make a small, accurate watch,
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 9:15 pm

Great points !!!..I wonder what changes we will see in the next
ten or twenty years. It does seem like things go in cycles with
the watch industry..as with most things really. It should be fun
seeing what the next direction might be ! Pulsar Diver Icon_smile

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 11:58 pm

Just remember me when the wheel rolls around again. I suspect I won't be here to see it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pulsar Diver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulsar Diver   Pulsar Diver Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pulsar Diver
Page 1 of 1