The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Decisions, decisions . . .

Go down 
+3
AtomicTom
smellody
Anomaly
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Decisions, decisions . . . Empty
PostSubject: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 11:32 pm

. . . . tough trying to thin the herd. Some I don't wear often, some aren't worth enough to bother selling, some I rarely wear but still like . . . . . maybe it is too early to start making cuts???

Actually, I don't like to let go of anything . . . . I save nuts,bolts,screws, . . . .. everything!!!!

Been through this, going through this??? How do you manage???
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 11:49 pm

If you don't wear a watch at all and you get $50 for it toward something you REALLY want now, isn't that worth it?

Smile

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 11:50 pm

If your not really sure about letting it go, hold onto it until you are..you won't miss it then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 11:51 pm

I once had a great many watches. Lot's of Invictas, Zodiacs, etc. I decided that there is only one type of watch I truly like..... Original looking divers. I'm not nearly as sick as most of you either, wearing the same watch for weeks at a time, so I don't feel as if I need a "rotation". When I realized I didn't really care for chronos or dressier pieces, it was easy to get rid of the majority of my watches. There was a time when I thought a collection had to encompass every style of watch in multiples.
As far as getting rid of them, I usually just give them away. I rarely sell watches I no longer wear. Not cause I couldn't use the money. I just enjoy gifting.
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 12:03 am

I feel your pain Randy. I have trouble parting with watches. I've traded off three that I was not wearing and replaced them with "better" watches that I wear pretty regularily, but now I miss one of the three I traded. . .I think it is a sickness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 12:10 am

. . . the bitter pill on my end is the fact that I bought valueless "kool-aid" models. I hate making bad buys. But, I guess I move on.

I know the Seiko thing right now is a band wagon as well to a degree . . . . but I don't think they are a "fad" watch, or will fall into the "nobody wants them" category in a year from now . . . .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 12:12 am

These days I either sell low,include a bonus watch or trade multiples for one.
I simply have too many watches and my "keeepers" still number in the irrational area.
I too have given away many watches, etc.(under the cloak of anonimity)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 12:20 am

I try and keep my collection low. I'm sitting on 17 right now and that's really too many for me. I'm trying to sell or trade out watches I don't even wear. If you don't wear them, get rid of them imo. People with a ton of watches amaze me as they can't possible get wrist time.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 1:29 am

I guess it really depends on whether you like those watches anymore.
If you still do, then maybe hold on to them for at least a while. You
don't want to maybe regret getting rid of the watches later on.
However, if you truly are tired of the watches and want something
new then that's cool too ! For myself..I have been fortunate to enjoy
the watches I have. I'll let you know if this changes ! Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_cheers

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 1:43 am

randyswagon wrote:
. . . the bitter pill on my end is the fact that I bought valueless "kool-aid" models. I hate making bad buys. But, I guess I move on.

I know the Seiko thing right now is a band wagon as well to a degree . . . . but I don't think they are a "fad" watch, or will fall into the "nobody wants them" category in a year from now . . . .

randy, you may e surprised. Everything will eventually sell, you just might take a good hit on it. With the valueless koolaids, just ask yourself how bad you want to get rid of them. If you can't stand looking at it, just gift em of sell em for pennies on the buck. Put all that money together and you got yourself at least a down payment on something NICE!

Seikos are definitely not fad watches like a lot of our Invictas are. They hold their value and demand, at least since I've been collecting. And, there's an ever-growing market for modified watches. Worst comes to worst, do a mod and get your money back!

As for me, I only have one up FS now, and have one more in bad shape I'd like to move out for cheap, but after that I'm pretty happy with where things are now. I don't worry about "rotations". Just because I have it doesn't mean I have to wear it all the time. I've gone several days wearing the same watch. And weeks without wearing others. But I love every watch like a favorite on the day I wear it.

When I'm wearing it, if it doesn't feel like "my favorite", it's out the door!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:06 am

randyswagon wrote:
. . . . tough trying to thin the herd. Some I don't wear often, some aren't worth enough to bother selling, some I rarely wear but still like . . . . . maybe it is too early to start making cuts???

Actually, I don't like to let go of anything . . . . I save nuts,bolts,screws, . . . .. everything!!!!

Never save nuts, bolt or screws, Never!! Always go to your local industrial supply house and buy new fasteners, and there is a nice place in salinas that could help you out and keep me in watches!! Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:11 am

i'm in the high 20's from over a hundred and those 50.00, 75.00 dollar watches add up really quick, just put them on a forum (james has a nice sales section with alot of invictta fans or if still a WG you can sell them there in a hurry!!
Back to top Go down
max
Associate
max

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 9:51 am

randyswagon wrote:

My answer is:
tough trying to thin the herd. Some I
don't wear often, some aren't worth enough to bother selling, some I
rarely wear but still like . . . . . maybe it is too early to start
making cuts???

Been through this, going through this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 10:11 am

I say hold on until you`re sure of what you want to sell off. Regretting selling a watch is a bitter experience Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_mad
I only got 4 watches I use and try to think carefully about any new purchase, but that`s easier said than done Decisions, decisions . . . Lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 12:46 pm

Picked out 4 TV brands a couple weeks ago to sell, thought I had all 4 sold but only 3 went. Ended up with $220 for watches I did not wear.

So why not get rid of some you do not wear and help fund one you would. JMHO
Back to top Go down
ramirez1970
Associate
ramirez1970

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 2:50 pm

Many have gone through this. I think you just have to decide if you'd get more enjoyment out of one "bigger fish" than you do from many lesser expensive watches. For the ones you don't wear and no longer like, just sell them. If you think that each individual watch won't generate much cash, lump them together and sell them as bundles. I sold 3 inexpensive chronos this way. While I didn't get a lot of money for them, as many have said, it's almost like money for nothing as I never wore those watches.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeSun Jan 24, 2010 5:09 pm

. . . Fug it. They aren't hurting me sitting. No sense in throwing them away for pennies. I can surprise my buddies with them here and there.

I'll just have 2 collections, ones I wear and ones I don't.

. . . . Odd sense of urgency . . . . funny that they were the shit, and now they really do seem to be shit

scratch
Back to top Go down
Noisy Nova
Associate
Noisy Nova

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 1:11 pm

I'm in the same boat.
One box for the ones I wear, another box for the ones I don't.
I can't seem to part with any of them.

One of these days, I'll sell all of the battery powered ones.
Yup, one of these days. Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 3:03 pm

randy just save them until your totally sure. At your age I would recomend you decide quickly though (lol) Sorry randolfo I coulnt resist
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 3:05 pm

. . . . Thanks young fella!!! Good to see you again man. Don't stay gone so long . . . . Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 3:43 pm

RANDY, IF I DONT THINK I WILL GET MUCH MONEY FOR A WATCH THEN TRADE IT!! YOU HAVE A LOT OF WATCHES PEOPLE WOULD LOVE TO HAVE. IN THE EARLY DAYS I WAS MORE ABOUT QUANITY THEN QUALITY, SO I SOLD OF A LOT OF THE ONES THAT NEVER GOT WRIST TIME AND ENDED UP WITH NEW ONES LIKE THESE. Decisions, decisions . . . P5051696newor Decisions, decisions . . . P7202763or6 Decisions, decisions . . . P1243565MEG2
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 3:46 pm

. . . yep, it's your collection Steve, that made me turn the corner on what I'm doing. I have some good pieces, but a lot of fillers as well . . . .
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 3:51 pm

That Regulator ROCKS Taz!

Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 4:53 pm

Anomaly wrote:
That Regulator ROCKS Taz!
THANKS ALAN, THE BEST THING ABOUT IT OTHER THAN ITS A BAD ASS WATCH IS I BOUGHT WITH MONEY FROM SELLING WATCHES IN MY COLLECTION THAT I NO LONGER WORE. SAME WITH THE OTHER 2.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Decisions, decisions . . .   Decisions, decisions . . . Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Decisions, decisions . . .
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: General Watch Discussion...-
Jump to: