A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !
 
HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

 

 SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH

Go down 
AuthorMessage
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Posts : 4263
Join date : 2009-07-08
Age : 108
Location : CT

SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Empty
PostSubject: SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH   SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 7:31 pm

Recently, I have become very interested in the SEIKO "Bullhead". In my research, I found a great "HOW TO BUY A SEIKO 6138-0040/0049 "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH - A Collector's Buying Guide " thread at WUS:


http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=140801

For those of you who don't know what they look like - here is a photo (from internet, not mine). There are many others in the WUS thread!

SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Bullhe10

If anyone has one, please let me know how you like it (how it wears...etc.)...post some pictures too!!


Last edited by andrema on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Empty
PostSubject: Re: SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH   SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 8:13 pm

Great resource. Have to be careful of the pushers on those, as I understand it.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Empty
PostSubject: Re: SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH   SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 8:16 pm

Either you love the Bullhead or you hate it. Only the hardest of hardcore Seiko collectors usually have them. That's a good reference, I've read it before, nice find Mark.
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Posts : 4263
Join date : 2009-07-08
Age : 108
Location : CT

SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Empty
PostSubject: Re: SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH   SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 8:41 pm

WatchNoob wrote:
Either you love the Bullhead or you hate it. Only the hardest of hardcore Seiko collectors usually have them. That's a good reference, I've read it before, nice find Mark.
I am in a sort of vintage seiko kick lately and want to add one that is of good size (but not too big). From what I can tell, it is smaller in diameter than the UFO but tends to have a higher profile.

Any other suggestions folks...come on you Seiko freaks...I know you have some ideas!!!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Empty
PostSubject: Re: SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH   SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 8:44 pm

andrema wrote:
WatchNoob wrote:
Either you love the Bullhead or you hate it. Only the hardest of hardcore Seiko collectors usually have them. That's a good reference, I've read it before, nice find Mark.
I am in a sort of vintage seiko kick lately and want to add one that is of good size (but not too big). From what I can tell, it is smaller in diameter than the UFO but tends to have a higher profile.

Any other suggestions folks...come on you Seiko freaks...I know you have some ideas!!!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/170229/message/1264555485/FS-+Seiko+Brown+Bullhead+%24280
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Posts : 4263
Join date : 2009-07-08
Age : 108
Location : CT

SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Empty
PostSubject: Re: SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH   SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 8:57 pm

Docrwm wrote:
andrema wrote:
WatchNoob wrote:
Either you love the Bullhead or you hate it. Only the hardest of hardcore Seiko collectors usually have them. That's a good reference, I've read it before, nice find Mark.
I am in a sort of vintage seiko kick lately and want to add one that is of good size (but not too big). From what I can tell, it is smaller in diameter than the UFO but tends to have a higher profile.

Any other suggestions folks...come on you Seiko freaks...I know you have some ideas!!!

[url=http://www.network54.com/Forum/170229/message/1264555485/FS-+Seiko+Brown+Bullhead+%24280
http://www.network54.com/Forum/170229/message/1264555485/FS-+Seiko+Brown+Bullhead+%24280[/quote[/url]]

Have you ever dealt with the seller?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Empty
PostSubject: Re: SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH   SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 9:14 pm

andrema wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
andrema wrote:
WatchNoob wrote:
Either you love the Bullhead or you hate it. Only the hardest of hardcore Seiko collectors usually have them. That's a good reference, I've read it before, nice find Mark.
I am in a sort of vintage seiko kick lately and want to add one that is of good size (but not too big). From what I can tell, it is smaller in diameter than the UFO but tends to have a higher profile.

Any other suggestions folks...come on you Seiko freaks...I know you have some ideas!!!

[url=http://www.network54.com/Forum/170229/message/1264555485/FS-+Seiko+Brown+Bullhead+%24280
http://www.network54.com/Forum/170229/message/1264555485/FS-+Seiko+Brown+Bullhead+%24280[/quote[/url]]

Have you ever dealt with the seller?

Unfortunately, no. I'd check elite sales every day and see what comes up. They do appear from time to time. SCTP is the most likely place to find them in descent shape from other WIS.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Empty
PostSubject: Re: SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH   SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Think it about the same case as the UFO minus the crown and pusher position! Love the UFO and wouldnt mind finding a nice bullhead, let the games begin!! SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_pirat
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Empty
PostSubject: Re: SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH   SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 9:53 pm

I'm in. There's a couple that look pretty decent on ebay. The phillipines must be the Seiko watch restoration capitol of the world. I really like the blue dials.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Empty
PostSubject: Re: SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH   SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 9:57 pm

SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_jokercolor here we go, betta step it up markie mark SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_wink you be messin' wit real seiko vintage boyz!! SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_jokercolor
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Posts : 4263
Join date : 2009-07-08
Age : 108
Location : CT

SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Empty
PostSubject: Re: SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH   SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 10:19 pm

Damn you...foiled again.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Empty
PostSubject: Re: SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH   SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 10:58 pm

Great reference material! I used them extensively when I was in the market for mine. Be extra carefull when choosing, take your time and don't jump on the first one you see.

Refurbished ones can be hit or miss; cases tend to be over polished to the point of blunting the crisp edges between the polished and brushed sections. Relumed dials and replaced hands are another sticky point. If hands have been replaced, make sure they are original replacements and not just swapped from another watch. Look out for incorrect Speedtimer models. The above mentioned links go into great detail.

The UFO is a little bigger, but both are giants for the time.

Here's a crappy pic of mine. All original when I bought it, I just put a new crystal in it. Dial is immaculate, case has never been polished, even still has the sticker on the caseback.
SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Vintage2
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Empty
PostSubject: Re: SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH   SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 11:29 pm

Great looking bullhead Chris. the brown dial with the fade effect is really nice. I like the day/date set up too.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest
avatar


SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Empty
PostSubject: Re: SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH   SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 9:04 am

I have the brown dial Bullhead which is currently undergoing a complete mechanical and cosmetic restoration by Bob Thayer Jr. When it returns, I will hopefully be adding a new bracelet to complete the project, and will have to decide if I want the original "fishbone" style or go in another direction.

I bought a Bullhead in NYC in 1979 in Times Square, and was wearing it when I got married in 1982. It was stolen when our home was burglarized in 1985, and I bought the one Thayer has about 4 years ago, and decided that for my birthday this year to have it restored to its original glory, although it was pretty nice to begin with.

There are some really nice ones on ebay for about $500 that are supposedly completely restored and serviced from an Asia-based seller with great feedback. Just search "SEIKO BULLHEAD" or "SEIKO 6138".
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere
avatar

Posts : 15553
Join date : 2009-08-25
Age : 48
Location : New Jersey

SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Empty
PostSubject: Re: SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH   SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 5:24 pm

Great info there Mark ! SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_biggrin It's easy to see how you have become so
interested in these "Bullhead" Seikos. They have a great history and
look phenomenal. I really like the reddish brown version with the gold
subdials. That's a combination you don't often see all the time. The
black is of course ALWAYS nice as well though. SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_smile A while ago, I thought
when a watch was called a bullhead, that it was just a cool name for
the watch. Now I see, that it refers to the crown and pushers being at
the top of the case. VERY cool ! I also think the way the case seems
to bulge on the sides is nice too. Thanks again for the info and links !

____________________________________
SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH NewSigcopy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Empty
PostSubject: Re: SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH   SEIKO  "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
SEIKO "BULLHEAD" CHRONOGRAPH
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Watch Brands :: Swiss Brands :: Swiss/German/Asian/Japanese/Chinese-
Jump to: