The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Modding disaster!!

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Modding disaster!! Empty
PostSubject: Modding disaster!!   Modding disaster!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 2:52 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! You can be sure, the explatives were flying in the Cski household this morning. I was working on my latest mod project; got the parts a few days ago and decided to work on it this week. Swapped out the crystal for a new sapphire, painted the rotor and movement lettering. I decided to work on the dial today. I got this beautiful white Cali dial from Jay at Motor City Watchworks:

Modding disaster!! California-white

Plan was to apply this Seiko emblem that I ever so carefully removed from an old Seiko chrono I had lying around (it was in much better shape before I started f'ing with it!)

Modding disaster!! Fup1
Modding disaster!! Fup3

I've been contemplating for days how to put it on. I have a lot of different adhesives that I was mulling over, then opted for the Crazy Glue. Bad, bad idea! No room for error with that sticky-a$$ crap. It was sticking to my micro tweezers, my finger tip...then it got all off-centered...and stuck fast! I was able to remove it, but then when I tried to clean the dial of the residue.....

Modding disaster!! Fup2

I killed it! No way to fix this one. It's a done deal.

So, move on to another idea or just get a new Cali and finish it right. I really want to do the Seiko emblem on the dial but afraid of a repeat performance.

Modding hint: Do not use Crazy Glue....EVER!
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Modding disaster!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding disaster!!   Modding disaster!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 2:55 pm

Holy Crap Chris!!!! Sorry to see your mod go downhill like that!!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Modding disaster!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding disaster!!   Modding disaster!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 2:58 pm

I have experienced you frustration before too!

How about clean all the white off the dial, stainless dial and maybe paint the markers?

EDIT** I now see its not stainless, hmmm...

Maybe sand it all down, spray paint, LUME markers?

Modding disaster!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding disaster!!   Modding disaster!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 3:13 pm

that suck dude, I've f**k'd up a couple
Back to top Go down

Modding disaster!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding disaster!!   Modding disaster!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 3:22 pm

i just fixed one of my screw up's today, life of us modders (me a wanna be modder) That Seiko emblem wasnt going to go on a swiss movt dial without a fight, those Japanese have too much pride!!Chris just keep up the good fight, i've seen too many great things you've been able to do!! If we could do right every time then we would be Noah, and with one arm he could still show me a thing or ten!! Modding disaster!! Icon_study
Back to top Go down

Modding disaster!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding disaster!!   Modding disaster!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 3:33 pm

. . . . it'll just make it all the better when you do get it done.

Crazy Glue pisses me off, sticks like shit to wool blanket if you need to adjust something. And won't stick to save your life when you need it to . . . Modding disaster!! Suspect
Back to top Go down

Modding disaster!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding disaster!!   Modding disaster!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 3:34 pm

Thanks for the support guys!!!

Alan, painting is out, way too much work. I'd rather just spring for a new one.

Trevor, I tried to remove the Swiss Movt...maybe that's what pissed off the watchgods!

Any suggestions for an adhesive that will work? The Seiko emblem seems to be metal. What will hold it in place so it won't fall of with use?
Back to top Go down

Modding disaster!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding disaster!!   Modding disaster!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 3:39 pm

i would try two part epoxy, with the super glue you have got one shot at it epoxy you can move it! Get the 5 minute set if you want something that cures real fast!
Back to top Go down

Modding disaster!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding disaster!!   Modding disaster!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 3:41 pm

I use this for everything. dries slower but bonds excellent just a small amount applied in a few locations on the back of the emblem should do it

http://www.esslinger.com/epoxy330-two12floztubes.aspx

Modding disaster!! 12.210
Back to top Go down

Modding disaster!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding disaster!!   Modding disaster!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 4:34 pm

Sorry about the incident. Thanks for sharing - no crazy glue.
Back to top Go down

Modding disaster!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding disaster!!   Modding disaster!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 5:41 pm

All I can say is...........HOLY SHIITE!!!! That sucks bigtime Chris!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Modding disaster!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding disaster!!   Modding disaster!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 6:40 pm

Sorry about this Chris ! That Crazy Glue can be REALLY annoying ! Modding disaster!! Icon_eek
You still are doing some TREMENDOUSLY cool work, that most of us
wouldn't even attempt ! Modding disaster!! Icon_cheers Just look at this as a stepping stone
toward perfection. In the end, things will work out. That jewelers
epoxy that Ron is showing looks excellent. So maybe that can help
you out in round two !..Good Luck sir and please keep us updated
with all of this ! Modding disaster!! Icon_smile

Modding disaster!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding disaster!!   Modding disaster!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 10:24 pm

Thanks for sharing this mess with us. Your misfortune will probably save
someone else from making the same mistake. Just keep on trying and be sure to
show us this one when you do get'er done!!!
Back to top Go down

Modding disaster!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding disaster!!   Modding disaster!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 1:37 am

Damn, sorry to hear that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Modding disaster!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modding disaster!!   Modding disaster!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modding disaster!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Horological Information :: Parts/Mod Links and Reference-
Jump to: