The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

a couple new mods

Go down 
+3
Northwestguy
AtomicTom
Anomaly
7 posters
AuthorMessage

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 6:03 pm

Finally got my hands and dial yesterday from HK, I jumped right in and swapped them.
love the look of it although the orange dial was pretty cool too.

before..
a couple new mods IMG_1144

after..
a couple new mods DSC06055-1

a couple new mods DSC06057

the lume is excellent and long lasting..
a couple new mods DSC06072

Second is this Zodiac quartz to auto swap. This was a bit more difficult and would recomend a different movement then what I used.
First, the ETA movements with date and day are about 1mm thicker from the day wheel to the stem then a 2824-2 which also is about the same as the quartz used in the watch, I used an ETA 2878 so the stem alignment from the case to movement was off by 1mm. Eta movements will mount perfect to the original dial feet from the on the Deep Reef, made that easy. A few more small modifications to the stem and back together.
I would use a 2824-2 and cover the day window permanently if I was to do this again.
a few pics..

got this 1/8 foam pad for working on does a good job of keeping things from scratching.
the Zodiac quartz and 2878 comparison
a couple new mods DSC05875
a couple new mods DSC06011
a couple new mods DSC06015

got these hands from Jay at MCWW
a couple new mods DSC06017
a couple new mods DSC06047
a couple new mods DSC06041

a couple new mods DSC06070
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Dude you TOTALLY ROCK!

Both watches look great but I REALLY am DIGGIN' the Zodiac mod!!!!!!!!!

Took a great watch and just gave it a "better engine and rims!"

AWESOME!

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 6:17 pm

a couple new mods 812159

Wonderful work. I really like the Z mod, they need to stop doing all that quartz stuff and do more Autos like you have with that watch!
Back to top Go down

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 6:25 pm

Dude you are so awesome!! Hope the mods ive got going on look half as good! Glad to see the handset from Jay glowing like crazy, i've got a set on the way! a couple new mods 46145 a couple new mods 933578 a couple new mods 46145
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 6:34 pm

a couple new mods Icon_biggrin Oh boy..Now THIS is BEYOND cool Ron ! a couple new mods 803574
First the new Seiko dial looks top notch. It actually
seems to look bigger now as well. Very professional
looking sir and those numbers have a Panerai feel
about them too. Also like those hands alot, especially
the orange one !..Now with the Zodiac, this is just
INCREDIBLE !!! Turning that Deep Reef into an genuine
automatic..WOW ! a couple new mods Icon_cheers I didn't even know this could be
done ! So I guess now we know !..TERRIFIC !!! Looks
like Alan's V-Sport can be changed to an automatic
after all..pretty cool IMHO. By the way, did that white
dial Deep Reef come with that bracelet Ron, or did you
put that one on sir ? a couple new mods Icon_smile ..Excellent stuff Ron, and thanks
for showing us this !

Senior Associate
Northwestguy

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 7:28 pm

Fantastic Ron! I really appreciate the mod you had to do to the movement on the eta. Great job!
Back to top Go down

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 7:35 pm

OH MY GOD!!! YOU ARE MY FREAKIN HERO RON!!! So tell me what you CAN'T DO Big Guy!!!! The Seiko looks awesome and changing to an auto movement in the Zodiac rocks. Now I have a something for you to think about. I have my Invicta Skelly which died last week. Swiss quartz but know sure which one. I'd love an auto movement in it. If I send you Old Skelly could you look at him and see if it can be done? If it can I'd be more than happy to pay for the movement and any work you do. I love that watch and a new battery didn't get her up and running again. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
jackprime1
Senior Associate
jackprime1

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 7:37 pm

Ron looks amazing...Great Job...
Back to top Go down

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 8:08 pm

Thanks guys!

Tom, the bracelet came from the black dial DR and switched them, gave the black away.

Duff, send it over and I will look at it, depending on the movement in it and a few other things but might work. finding the right hands and size can be a problem.
Back to top Go down

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 8:18 pm

barnbuilder1 wrote:
Thanks guys!

Tom, the bracelet came from the black dial DR and switched them, gave the black away.

Duff, send it over and I will look at it, depending on the movement in it and a few other things but might work. finding the right hands and size can be a problem.

Will do Bro! Just throw it on the bench and whenever you get to it check it out! I love this watch.

a couple new mods Skull1

a couple new mods Skull2
Back to top Go down

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 8:32 pm

Ron, I used to want to be Duff, now I wish I were you. Pretty friggin' impressive, man.
Back to top Go down

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 8:36 pm

porschefan wrote:
Ron, I used to want to be Duff, now I wish I were you. Pretty friggin' impressive, man.

Glad to see you got your meds straightened out Tim!!!! a couple new mods 803574 a couple new mods 744742
Back to top Go down

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 8:51 pm

bodypeersur1 wrote:
porschefan wrote:

Glad to see you got your meds straightened out Tim!!!! a couple new mods 803574 a couple new mods 744742

whoooohoooooooooooo a couple new mods Icon_geek
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 9:42 pm

They look great Ron. Is that Bergeon tool on the dial used to set the hands?
Back to top Go down

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 9:46 pm

merichar wrote:

I saw it too and just ordered a couple at ottofrei, setting hands are a pain in the butt without the right tools!
Back to top Go down

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 10:24 pm

merichar wrote:

yep, it's the 7404-2 hand setting tool. I was using a piece of crap and this right tool is much better
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 10:28 pm

barnbuilder1 wrote:
merichar wrote:

yep, it's the 7404-2 hand setting tool. I was using a piece of crap and this right tool is much better

Thanks, you're developing some pretty good watchmaking skills. Let me know when you start teaching classes.
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 10:29 pm

congrats on 2 great mods. im realy liking the monster, the new dial and hands look awesome. steve
Back to top Go down

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 10:40 pm

merichar wrote:
barnbuilder1 wrote:
merichar wrote:

Thanks, you're developing some pretty good watchmaking skills. Let me know when you start teaching classes.

all amateur and wanting to learn, sometimes costs more than I like, but fun
Back to top Go down

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 10:44 pm

. . . . more great work Ron!!! I really like the monster dial, no day/date on a 3-hand is so clean. Envy your knowledge in putting together the parts that make it happen . . . Randy.
Back to top Go down

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 10:47 pm

thanks!
Back to top Go down

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 10:53 pm

wagon wrote:
. . . . more great work Ron!!! I really like the monster dial, no day/date on a 3-hand is so clean. Envy your knowledge in putting together the parts that make it happen . . . Randy.

RANDY!!! YOU CHANGED YOUR NAME!!!!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 1:37 am

barnbuilder1 wrote:
Thanks guys!

Thanks for the info sir ! a couple new mods Icon_biggrin Terrific job once again !!!!!!

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:17 am

Mad skillz! It surprises me, what talents we have among us, great job a couple new mods 803574
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:25 am

Both look great...I would never even attempt a quartz to auto swap! Nice Job.....now I need to find a quartz worth destroying. a couple new mods Icon_wink

a couple new mods Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:30 am

a couple new mods Icon_cheers Pretty damn amazing! How did you know that the ETA would even fit into the Zodiac? friggin' inspirational; I'm really itching to get a new project started
Back to top Go down

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 1:29 pm

cski wrote:
a couple new mods Icon_cheers Pretty damn amazing! How did you know that the ETA would even fit into the Zodiac? friggin' inspirational; I'm really itching to get a new project started

I tried out a 2824 that I have then ordered the 2878 with the day and date, I didn't know it was taller from day wheels to stem and that gave me problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

a couple new mods Empty
PostSubject: Re: a couple new mods   a couple new mods Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

a couple new mods
Page 1 of 1