The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

If You Had Your Own Watch Company...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Empty
PostSubject: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:36 pm

How would you do things ? If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_biggrin..Would you have your own case designs, or use
an existing case design or designs ? Also what type of movements would be in
your line-up ? What type of watches or styles would you focus on ? Would you
make classic designs or more unique looks, or both ? How would you put your
watches together ? By hand or machine ? Just thought this would be fun to
think about ! If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_smile What do you guys think ?

Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:39 pm

Depends on cash flow I guess...

I definitely would NOT follow the current micro brand trend where EVERYTHING looks the same...

I would try to land somewhere between NFW and Android...

Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:52 pm

I would like to design and manufacture my own cases. Maybe consider making own dials and hands. Buy the rest of the parts off the shelf or subcontract them out. Start out with a diver and a pilot style or two, both three handers. Nothing crazy, just simple classic designs unlike anything you've ever seen before. Of course my watches would be hand assembled by the very best watchmakers Northwest Oregon has to offer. As a matter of fact, I'm taking pre-orders now. For $2800 you can reserve yours now. Limited edition of however many I can sell. Computer generated renderings to follow. Delivery date unknown.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:52 pm

Anomaly wrote:

I'd like to land somewhere between Basel and Le Locle.

If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Weissenstein_vieweastRotli

Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:03 pm

Anomaly wrote:

I definitely would NOT follow the current micro brand trend where EVERYTHING looks the same...

You are DEFINITELY right Alan ! I can't imagine how much it would
cost to run a watch company, even a small one ! If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_eek It would be great
to have original ideas, as well as watches too. Coming up with imaginitive
and original designs would be the best. However, that would also be more
expensive I guess. In any case, a company in between NFW and Android
would be excellent if you ask me ! If You Had Your Own Watch Company... 803574

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 11:53 pm

porschefan wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

I'd like to land somewhere between Basel and Le Locle.

If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Weissenstein_vieweastRotli

I love you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:15 am

if i had the skills would have go with what UTS has done! One man building all his cases and sourcing the best parts!
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:23 am

I would make one watch with no variations (More or Less). . . it worked pretty well for these guys:
If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Dscn0713m
It will be the same with these babies. Catchy name, quality build. They may fetch $50:
If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Dscn2268v
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:33 am

Damn good looking and next to impossible to get, think there is only one! That XMT special just friggin rocks! If You Had Your Own Watch Company... 933578
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:44 am

AtomicTom wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

cost to run a watch company, even a small one ! If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_eek It would be great

Thanks, guys.... I'll take that as a compliment! Also, Wing and I know each other and have a great deal of respect for each other. We do some things in similar ways, and some things very differently. But we both run our companies with a lot of integrity, and that counts for a lot.

There's a lot of political muscle that gets thrown around, much of which you don't realize unless you're in the trenches. I'm always having to deal with the big euro watch conglomerates trying to muscle NFW out of jewelry stores because we're taking a piece of their pie. And these guys carry a lot of clout. So, it's important for me to maintain tight relationships with our jewelers. And also important for us little guys to find ways around the big guys. If you can't go thru 'em, find a way around 'em!

To start NFW, I sold my house and used that money to get things rolling. It was a big risk, but it also made for a very strong incentive to succeed (succeed or live under a bridge!!!).

We're doing well now, and have been able to make a difference with some charity organizations too. Being a successful company allows me to help others, and that was also part of why I wanted to do what I do.

But every day is a struggle and my wife works full-time. I'm definitely not rich and I put in very long hours. Every weekend, and most holidays, you'll find me working. But I also make sure to have family time and I definitely love designing our watches, figuring out how to sell them, talking with our customers, and just running this little watch company. But I did have 10 years of industry experience before I started, and lots of strong contacts all over the world. This was vital in order to make it happen. So, to me, I saw no other route than to make it a success.

Cheers!

George

It's certainly not an easy, or inexpensive, undertaking.

Last edited by G.Fox on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:48 am

Great Post G, Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:51 am

George, you have a real watch company and not just buying parts of the shelve or catalog! You have much more at stake and risk with each new design YOU develop! I love the 2000m diver going around right now but come on 6 companies selling the same case watch, just too easy for someone else to do the R&D and that would never happen at NFW! If You Had Your Own Watch Company... 812159
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:57 am

cali kid wrote:
George, you have a real watch company and not just buying parts of the shelve or catalog! You have much more at stake and risk with each new design YOU develop! I love the 2000m diver going around right now but come on 6 companies selling the same case watch, just too easy for someone else to do the R&D and that would never happen at NFW! If You Had Your Own Watch Company... 812159

LOL! Maybe those other guys who buy the parts already designed, tooled and engineered are much smarter than I am!!!! Perhaps I'm doing it the hard way, but I'm a designer by nature, so for me it's almost like I don't even have a choice.... I get a design in my head and it drives me crazy until I get it down on paper and tinker with it until I feel a sense of calm excitement. And then navigating thru the puzzle of engineering it is also something I savor with every design. But it does get costly!

Well, I am what I am.... and it's either a blessing or a curse, I'm not sure which!

But thanks, buddy. I appreciate your kind words!

G
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 12:59 am

Great autobiography G! Daddy!

Your house in is order and that's why you are successful!

Much respect sir, much respect!

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 1:06 am

Anomaly wrote:
Great autobiography G! Daddy!

Your house in is order and that's why you are successful!

Much respect sir, much respect!

Thanks, Big A! And now that you run your own forum I'll bet you've got some very interesting perspectives that you probably didn't have before! Well, it looks like you're doing a bang-up job here, old chap! Remember back in the days when you'd get hammered for speaking your mind in some of those snobby forums? I'm glad to see you did it YOUR way! Congrats, my friend!!!
If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 1:11 am

Without sounding GHEY ( I borrowed that)...

...means a lot coming from you G!

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 1:35 am

. . . Really a tough call. I do not believe I could it. Not for lack of drive or ability . . . but because I would have a nearly impossible time not catering strictly to my own tastes and desires.

When I had my shop running in Washington state, my wife would go nuts over the amount of work I declined. If it was not a project I was truly interested in, with an end result I thought would be cool . . . . I walked it!!!

No heart, no soul!!!!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 1:49 am

G.Fox wrote:
AtomicTom wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

Thanks, guys.... I'll take that as a compliment! Also, Wing and I know each other and have a great deal of respect for each other. We do some things in similar ways, and some things very differently. But we both run our companies with a lot of integrity, and that counts for a lot.

There's a lot of political muscle that gets thrown around, much of which you don't realize unless you're in the trenches. I'm always having to deal with the big euro watch conglomerates trying to muscle NFW out of jewelry stores because we're taking a piece of their pie. And these guys carry a lot of clout. So, it's important for me to maintain tight relationships with our jewelers. And also important for us little guys to find ways around the big guys. If you can't go thru 'em, find a way around 'em!

To start NFW, I sold my house and used that money to get things rolling. It was a big risk, but it also made for a very strong incentive to succeed (succeed or live under a bridge!!!).

We're doing well now, and have been able to make a difference with some charity organizations too. Being a successful company allows me to help others, and that was also part of why I wanted to do what I do.

But every day is a struggle and my wife works full-time. I'm definitely not rich and I put in very long hours. Every weekend, and most holidays, you'll find me working. But I also make sure to have family time and I definitely love designing our watches, figuring out how to sell them, talking with our customers, and just running this little watch company. But I did have 10 years of industry experience before I started, and lots of strong contacts all over the world. This was vital in order to make it happen. So, to me, I saw no other route than to make it a success.

Cheers!

George

It's certainly not an easy, or inexpensive, undertaking.

Holy Cow !!!! If You Had Your Own Watch Company... 46145 I can't believe ALL of the TREMENDOUS insight you just
gave there Mr. Fox ! It's unbelievably cool to talk with you..WOW ! If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_biggrin I
thought the topic would be interesting, but getting the truth from a genuine
watch company owner like yourself is just PHENOMENAL sir ! I honestly did
not know all the details on how you started NFW ! Amazing ! Many times as
watch people we see all of these companies and wonder what it would be like to
have a watch company. What it would be like to design watches that people
will like. To imagine, create and actually be successful in building great watches
for people. Doing what makes you truly happy, while dealing with the obstacles
put up in the industry and finding a way to beat the odds ! If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_smile It's all pretty
GREAT really and once again thanks for giving us some terrific insight into
having your own watch company !..Take care !

PostSubject: Re: If You Had Your Own Watch Company...   If You Had Your Own Watch Company... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If You Had Your Own Watch Company...
Page 1 of 1