The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CYCLOPS Removal

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 8:57 pm

Looking for suggestions on removing a cyclops. I have an ORIS Frank Sinatra that I absolutely love. I am considering removing the cyclops. It is a triangular shaped piece located at the 6:00 position. My pics don't show it so well but here it is:

CYCLOPS  Removal IMG_2412
CYCLOPS  Removal IMG_2413

The crystal is sapphire. None of any of my other watches have a cyclops and that is probably why this one looks a bit odd to me and is a reason I am considering removing it. So........How would i go about doing it, precautions, technique, tools etc.?

Thanks for your input guys!
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Here is a thread that Trevor did a while ago...

https://xtrememeantime.forumotion.com/general-watch-discussion-f4/knocked-the-cyclops-right-off-t1169.htm?highlight=cyclops+remova

I saw a couple on WUS too, so a search on cyclops removal...there are tutorials

Senior Associate
Northwestguy

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 9:05 pm

Thanks Mark! I take a look.
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 9:07 pm

It'll take some serious sack to mess withat fine Oris. But I too think it will look better sans cyclops
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 9:07 pm

Senior Associate
Northwestguy

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 9:19 pm

Thanks again Mark! I am thinking of the heating method but the example on the video was on a mineral crystal. Does anyone know if sapphire would be different?
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:03 am

Northwestguy wrote:
Thanks again Mark! I am thinking of the heating method but the example on the video was on a mineral crystal. Does anyone know if sapphire would be different?
I would think that saphire would be safer because it is harder...but that is just speculation.

I know that Sean and Trevor have done this, you may want to send them a PM to check...

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:12 am

last one i did just a few days ago was sapphire and i used a razor blade and it popped right off! try that and if it wont budge add some heat from a blow dryer, when off use some acetone or fingernail polish remover or rubbing alcohol to get rid of the glue mark!
Back to top Go down

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 4:34 am

I have always loved that model! I agree, I think the cyclops takes away from the beauty of the watch. Trevor's removed quite a few of those things and it doesn't sound too difficult. The hard part is getting the balls to mess with that gorgeous watch! Good luck John and let us see the results.
Back to top Go down

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:40 am

I have a question. If the crystal has an external AR Coating does that include the Cyclops and was it applied BEFORE or AFTER the application of the optical wart? If it is after then you will be sans AR in that area. Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 9:39 am

Docrwm wrote:
I have a question. If the crystal has an external AR Coating does that include the Cyclops and was it applied BEFORE or AFTER the application of the optical wart? If it is after then you will be sans AR in that area. Just a thought.

Great question Doc! I will have to try and find out if there is an external AR on this crystal. If so, I could ask if they have a crystal without the cyclops.
Back to top Go down

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 9:44 am

Northwestguy wrote:
Docrwm wrote:

Great question Doc! I will have to try and find out if there is an external AR on this crystal. If so, I could ask if they have a crystal without the cyclops.

If it has AR on BOTH sides it is possible to remove it on the outside and still have a very readable dial. Different folks have different opinions on that but many prefer it only on the inside for durability reasons. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
max
Associate
max

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 10:31 am

Dont know about the AR coating but I have removed several with no ill effects.

For more control I use a soldering iron to heat the cyclops and an exacto knife that has a blade that looks like a chisel to slice it off. Just tap the exacto lightly with a plastic headed hobby hammer. (say that 4 times quickly)

Never did a flame fusion jobbie though CYCLOPS  Removal Lol
Back to top Go down

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 10:36 am

max wrote:
Never did a flame fusion jobbie though CYCLOPS  Removal Lol

Well we all know that is the hardest substance in the world!!! Makes sapphire look like styrofoam! CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_twisted
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 10:51 am

I guess some of the...FEAR FACTOR...is taken away because of the sapphire crystal...

I personally don't like AR coating on the outside...

Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 11:00 am

Very interesting discussion. You guys bring up some good points and are very observant. I especially like that I lern't just how soft sapphire is when compared to Elvis glass. Simply amazing
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 4:51 pm

Well, I checked on Oris Site and they have the crystal as AR coating on the inside. I did shoot an email off to them for verification. If all is as they say....I will be working on removing the cyclops. You guys will get all the low down on what goes on. Thanks for all your input fellows! It's so Great to be around this place with all of you!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 4:57 pm

Keep us posted...

...maybe take some pics along the way!

CYCLOPS  Removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: CYCLOPS Removal   CYCLOPS  Removal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CYCLOPS Removal
Page 1 of 1