The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

U-Boat madness

Go down 
+2
jackprime1
Northwestguy
6 posters
AuthorMessage

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 8:28 pm

Crazy...

Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 8:36 pm

Super cool watch but SO sloppy big and stupid on the average wrist. For real divers...OK. For real people... Rolling Eyes. I am so happily far removed from Oversized watches.
Back to top Go down

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 8:48 pm

i could do a 45mm but they dont give them away, when you look used got to worry about fakes!
Back to top Go down
jackprime1
Senior Associate
jackprime1

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 8:51 pm

That is a tank of a watch...wow..great looking watch. For sure will stop a mugger in his tracks... U-Boat madness 869119
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 9:13 pm

Way too big for most people. No matter the brand-too big is too big. I saw a sale ad for a Sinn U1000 the other day on a 6-1/2 inch wrist. Nice watch but it looked silly. I've actually regressed in size lately and have been buying solely in the 40-42 mm range and my wrist is right at 8 inches.
Back to top Go down

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 10:09 pm

merichar wrote:
Way too big for most people. No matter the brand-too big is too big. I saw a sale ad for a Sinn U1000 the other day on a 6-1/2 inch wrist. Nice watch but it looked silly. I've actually regressed in size lately and have been buying solely in the 40-42 mm range and my wrist is right at 8 inches.

I agree. I have a couple that are above 43 (Monsters & Sumo) but prefer 39-42mm watches for my 8in wrist.
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeTue May 18, 2010 11:27 pm

Agree that's it is stupid big.

THAT GUY WAS TURING THE MOVEMENT IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think the watch makers at U-Boat were pissed?
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 12:57 am

WOW ! U-Boat madness Icon_eek THAT'S a LARGE watch right there ! It does look
nice though, just VERY big. The bezel lock is neat, and so is
that crown. Also like that finish on the case, along with the
way the numbers look !..Does anyone know if that is
Sylvester Stallones signature on the back ? Can't quite
make it out ! U-Boat madness Icon_smile

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 1:22 am

. . . I'll pass. Someone else can have two . . . . U-Boat madness Icon_geek
Back to top Go down

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 7:03 am

if it were 45 I still don't think I would like the way it winds with that crown. the watch he compared it to looks cool
Back to top Go down

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 8:42 am

Very few watches can't be set counter clockwise.For an eta with no date,reversing it doesn't matter.The only gears designed for one direction
are the winding gears.For movements with dates and chrono complications,those can be set ccw as long as its not in the 9pm to 3 am range.
most instruction manuals on watches will state that when setting the time,go 5 minutes past then back it up to the correct time.
this is done to remove gear train slack.The only movement I know of that has problems with rotating ccw is the 7s26.
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 10:26 am

Too big even for me - Like the design though.
Also liked the smaller one used for comparison.
Don't know much about U-Boat.
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 11:57 am

yamahaki wrote:
Very few watches can't be set counter clockwise.For an eta with no date,reversing it doesn't matter.The only gears designed for one direction
are the winding gears.For movements with dates and chrono complications,those can be set ccw as long as its not in the 9pm to 3 am range.
most instruction manuals on watches will state that when setting the time,go 5 minutes past then back it up to the correct time.
this is done to remove gear train slack.The only movement I know of that has problems with rotating ccw is the 7s26.
I've read for years that NO MOVEMENT should EVER be turned counter clockwise. NEVER!!

Seriously.

Sounded very draconian/dramatic, but that's what I've read. On this very forum.
Back to top Go down

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 12:51 pm

PoliMalaka wrote:
yamahaki wrote:
I've read for years that NO MOVEMENT should EVER be turned counter clockwise. NEVER!!

Seriously.

Sounded very draconian/dramatic, but that's what I've read. On this very forum.

Not so fast my friend!!! most russian movements dont have a quickset date and the way you change the date is by going between 9pm and 2am, back and forth until the date you want! Not a shortcut its how they are made and how the manuals tell you to set the date!
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 1:19 pm

I'm not disagreeing with anyone. Just bringing it up that I've read that movement should never be set counter clockwise.
Back to top Go down

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 2:45 pm

date wheel levers, double corrector for chronos, date driving wheels and springs are effected by turning backwards and work in concert, they can move in reverse but are not designed to do and will wear out the mechanisms or jam operating them wrong. It's the difference between pulling a lever away from the pivot point (the right way) or pushing against the pivot point. Small movements backwards are fine or when your moving the train only but when the date or day is changing it's different. It's best not to turn back on most movements, mechanicals like the 6497/8 are fine.

this is just my opinion after looking at them closely and learning how they work.
Back to top Go down

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 3:20 pm

merichar wrote:

So no Sinn for me then U-Boat madness Icon_sad Damn I hate having gurly wrists U-Boat madness 831531
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitimeWed May 19, 2010 9:29 pm

Rambam wrote:
merichar wrote:

So no Sinn for me then U-Boat madness Icon_sad Damn I hate having gurly wrists U-Boat madness 831531

We all have our own cross to bear. I wish I could wear some of the cool vintage watches that are around 34-36mm. They just look tiny on my wrist-to me. Each person has their own ideal size range and whatever works for them is all that matters. Sinn still offers a pretty wide range of sizes for everybody.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

U-Boat madness Empty
PostSubject: Re: U-Boat madness   U-Boat madness Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

U-Boat madness
Page 1 of 1