The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What are some things...

Go down 
+2
Anomaly
AtomicTom
6 posters
AuthorMessage
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

What are some things... Empty
PostSubject: What are some things...   What are some things... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 9:07 pm

that YOU might like to see from the watch industry ? Or in watches
in general ?..This could be anything, and everything ! From the micro
brands to the major brands ! ..Any thoughts on what you might want
to see ? What are some things... Icon_smile

PostSubject: Re: What are some things...   What are some things... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 9:11 pm

I'd like to see someone make a watch that literally makes you, Tom, sick to your stomach.

What are some things... Icon_wink

Last edited by porschefan on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: What are some things...   What are some things... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 9:12 pm

Less Chronos...

More GMTs...

A black metal that will not scratch or that is black the entire way thru so you can brush it out if is is scratched...

More half links on bracelets...

Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: What are some things...   What are some things... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 9:40 pm

good question....so far, watches are a traditional representation of time for us.....but I am waiting for the next quantum leap in time telling...holographic? press a button and time is projected out for us to see??
We already see the youth generation use their cellphone digital time to check ...they wear wristwatches for fashion sake only.....
Prices also dictate marketability and they are rising. G Shocks are still very popular in Japan for their under $200 tag and toughness.
Boutique models are larger and fancier but the movements are usually generic due to cost control.....
Chinese made watches loom on the horizon and with increasing QC, their pricing will grab much of the market. Mind you, they lack creative designs and still make western copies..
As for me and my older age generation, we tend to go retro...smaller, simpler.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: What are some things...   What are some things... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 10:19 pm

Wow ! What are some things... Icon_biggrin ..Some AWESOME ideas everyone !!! What are some things... 46145

Tim, I'm waiting for that watch as well ! What are some things... Lol ..Doesn't seem likely though ! What are some things... Alien

Alan, I like all of your ideas alot, ESPECIALLY that black metal you thought of !!! What are some things... 803574
Pretty ingenius, and you have to wonder why there hasn't been something like
that by now !

Thian, your "next quantum leap in time telling" theme is TERRIFIC ! What are some things... Icon_biggrin I have often
thought about that, and those holographic watches you mention would just be
the best !..At the same time it's FANTASTIC having those retro, smaller, and
simpler watches that you mention !..Hopefully we will see all of these ideas !

Thanks alot guys !!!!

PostSubject: Re: What are some things...   What are some things... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 10:28 pm

Scratch resistance. I'm reviewing a Sinn Tegiment as we speak and would love to do the same for a Damasko.

Return to Hi-Beat movements..

Increased us of space age materials WITHOUT making the watch either a) FUGLY or b) a FORTUNE (or both A&B for that matter).

Greater use of screws & posts for straps/bracelets.

More attention to LUME outside Seiko and a few niche players. The lume on MANY of the mainstream company's watches is an embarrasment to them if you look at what is possible with just a LITTLE effort.

Better clasps for bracelets. So many have unattributed copies of the MM300 clasp from Seiko its really laughable. Can't these high-end makers actually develop a really innovative clasp that works and has neat new features?
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: What are some things...   What are some things... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 11:10 pm

Great question Tom! I think I would like to see some NOS or at least some remakes of designs from the past with a bit larger presence, ie; size. Instead of 34-36mm, how about 40-44mm? There have been so many ROCKIN' designs from times gone by that I think it would be good to update size, movements colors, etc, but, the design must remain the same.
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: What are some things...   What are some things... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 12:03 am

Northwestguy wrote:
Great question Tom! I think I would like to see some NOS or at least some remakes of designs from the past with a bit larger presence, ie; size. Instead of 34-36mm, how about 40-44mm? There have been so many ROCKIN' designs from times gone by that I think it would be good to update size, movements colors, etc, but, the design must remain the same.

What John said. I would love to see some classic designs revisited. Many of those companies are not around anymore so I think it could be done without stepping on too many toes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are some things...   What are some things... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 12:55 am

Other than being on a watch,the hologram has already been done.My desk clock has this feature.press a button and the time floats above the
clock.I'd like to know where a watch is made instead of frigging guessing as to its origins.

While researching companies that say swiss made,I did find out some things.Omegas bracelets is the example.
If its marked omega sa,its made in switzerland.If the bracelet is marked
Stainless steel,its chinese,made for omega.I'd like to see more movements that can go for 10 years without a need for service.
Basically,I'd like to see some real truth in watch standards for the entire watch industry,instead of companies only following
the rules of the country of origin.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: What are some things...   What are some things... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 2:03 am

Woohoo ! What are some things... 46145 You guys are hitting this out of the ball park !!!

Really liking your ideas Doc !..Every one of those things you mention just rocks ! What are some things... 933578
The scratch resistance theme is very interesting. Would enjoy seeing something done
with that for sure ! Also think the Hi-Beat movements return, along with using space
age materials is SUPER cool ! What are some things... Icon_cool What are some things... Icon_cool More use of screws and posts in straps as well
as bracelets is GREAT too !!!..Also agree with you on the whole lume theme. I mean
it really would be nice to see better lume out there on more brands. Maybe even see
some entirely new types as well !..Types that might all be different, but that might
all be exceptional too. Same thing with your innovative clasps idea ! It would be
something to see quality, together with new ideas, added to what we have been
used to seeing. What are some things... Icon_cyclops

Thanks John and Mark ! Great answers by the way ! What are some things... Icon_cheers There have been so many terrific
looking watches from countless companies that we all have liked. However, the size just isn't
right for some of us. Or maybe we just wanted a look that we can't get anymore. What a neat
idea guys !..By having some of the older designs updated to today's standards you could enjoy
these classics with a modern touch. Also if the company wasn't around anymore like Mark said,
it wouldn't step on any toes, and would be a cool tribute to a style of watches long gone !

Sean, some EXCELLENT points too sir ! What are some things... 803574 I think I have seen some clocks similar to the one
you are talking about with the hologram. It would be something to see similar technologies on
the wrist down the road at some point. Also your point about seeing more truth with watch
standards in the watch industry is a real good one. Can honestly never have enough honesty ! What are some things... Icon_smile

Thanks again for your FANTASTIC feedback with this everyone !!!! WOW !

Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: What are some things...   What are some things... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 3:14 am

Chiming in late on this one.

I want one that has all the functionality, digital readout of a fully loaded Pathfinder Triple Sensor.
But projected within the crystal of a very classic case execution - at will.
Longing for the contrast of the classic look with state of the art scientific measurements and synchronization.

Similar features to the Minority Report watch worn by Tom Cruise.
But much more classic like PC's vintage Constellation (only 45mm, sorry).
BTW: Takes my breath away every time he posts it.
What the hell...could use a classic diver look too.

All digital is projected within the crystal NOT a digi screen under the glass - killer illumination of course.
Touch sensitive pushers areas on the case edge (no seams) so that you never know the digi is there till you push and illuminate the crystal.

Oh almost forgot...you set the watch via the digi and the hands articulate by themselves to the set time.
Much like the Citizen Skyhawks of today.

New flexible LCDs could make this possible -trick is seamlessly hooking it all up.

Always been ahead of my time (pun intended)

What are some things... 1660236688_b73b1bb16e
What are some things... 1659365589_b9e0805f99
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: What are some things...   What are some things... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Holy Cow, THIS is an Out of this World idea Jaw !!! What are some things... Icon_cheers What are some things... Alien
It's so cool how you have all of the details thought out by
the way. What are some things... 803574 From the classic theme meeting the state of
the art theme, to the digital readouts, flexible LCD's and
killer illumination ! ..OUTSTANDING ideas sir, and those
wrist shots from Minority Report show us what you mean
too ! What are some things... 46145 ..Thank you !!!

PostSubject: Re: What are some things...   What are some things... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are some things...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: General Watch Discussion...-
Jump to: